PDA

View Full Version : Can microfiber towels ever keep their "new" feel?

pheerix
08-20-2015, 10:44 PM
Just got a new batch of eagles and I noticed they are a lot softer and fluffier than the ones I've had for a few months. I think my wash methods are sound. I wash with Micro Restore in a HE machine with only MF towels, vinegar on 2nd rinse, and machine dry on ultra low heat. Do MF towels just lose their softness and fluffiness after while? Could it be the super hard water here?

Mask
08-20-2015, 10:58 PM
Their life will end eventually ;)

An example of repeat sale :D

Mittenz
08-20-2015, 11:09 PM
I hand wash mine in a light dilution of my car soap to get as much of the product out as possible. Then I rinse them really good in hot/warm water. I use All Free & Clear to laundry them. I don't use any heat in the drying cycle.
Seems to work for me.

feslope
08-20-2015, 11:30 PM
Just got a new batch of eagles and I noticed they are a lot softer and fluffier than the ones I've had for a few months. I think my wash methods are sound. I wash with Micro Restore in a HE machine with only MF towels, vinegar on 2nd rinse, and machine dry on ultra low heat. Do MF towels just lose their softness and fluffiness after while? Could it be the super hard water here?You might try skipping the vinegar and going easy on the detergent. Most HE machines tend to do several rinses washing all the detergent out without needing an acid to neutralize any remaining base. MicroRestore is pretty powerful stuff, only use the amount you need to get the job done. Hope this helps.

pheerix
08-21-2015, 01:02 AM
You might try skipping the vinegar and going easy on the detergent. Most HE machines tend to do several rinses washing all the detergent out without needing an acid to neutralize any remaining base. MicroRestore is pretty powerful stuff, only use the amount you need to get the job done. Hope this helps.

I'll try that. Should the towels come out of the wash smelling like Micro Restore at all? If they do am I using too much? I use 1.5 oz for 20-24 towels.

kevincwelch
08-21-2015, 05:35 PM
I think that's too much. I use about 1 oz for about 25 towels, and many are the thicker GSM. I wash in a HE machine using Microrestore or Wolfgang and dry on low heat for about 30 minutes. While not entirely new feeling, they are usually pretty soft! They typically have no smell to them.

pheerix
08-21-2015, 06:44 PM
Ok I'm using too much detergent and I'll skip the vinegar. Sometimes the towels come out smelling like vinegar.

pheerix
08-21-2015, 06:46 PM
Their life will end eventually ;)

An example of repeat sale :D

Yes always need a good excuse to buy more towels.

Mask
08-21-2015, 07:01 PM
Yes always need a good excuse to buy more towels.

So true :D

pheerix
08-23-2015, 02:38 AM
Here's kinda what I'm talking about. The old batch is on the left and the new on the right. The old ones have compressed down and aren't as soft feeling. Just normal wear and tear?
http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28465&d=1440315309

ScottB
08-23-2015, 09:57 AM
As towels age and breakdown, I move them to other areas in car care. It also gives me an excuse to buy new towels for paint care and try the newest offerings. I consider it the "circle of a towel".

Vinegar will act as a natural softner, the challenge is that it also wears and breaks down the towel fibers also. Less is more, so perhaps every other wash as wanted.

pheerix
08-23-2015, 12:14 PM
Normal for about 6 months of use washed about 1-2 times a week so less than 100 washes? Thought MF towels were supposed to withstand hundreds of washes. Am I washing them too aggressively or is machine drying accelerating wear? Every time I line dry the towels become rock hard from the hard water.

Kamakaz1961
08-23-2015, 12:19 PM
IMO Microfiber Towels do wear out. Regardless of wash or cleaning technique. Henceforth, Micorfiber Towels are always being bought buy me when I can or when the MF towels do lose their "fluffiness and effective" use.

jrs1418
08-23-2015, 12:49 PM
The other day I pressure washed a super old, non fluffy, MF towel and it came out virtually like new.

Crappy vids but you'll see the difference at the end of the 2nds vid

Before: Beaded water, the fibers were all matted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5mILjPtgZM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXGfoK0ALqM