PDA

View Full Version : How to: Restore Microfibers

jrs1418
08-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Just wanted to share this with everyone. I, like many of you out there, am always getting frustrated with longevity of microfibers and keeping them clean.

What you will need:
1) A rainy day
2) Enough beer to last
3) Pressure washer with Spinning turbo nozzle attachment
4) Old non absorbent MF's
5) Patience

Background: We do waterless car washes and go through hundreds of towel a week. I've purchase and used just about every microfiber cleaner out there, and of course tried all the "free and clear" laundry detergent out there. I've even tried dumping a 32oz bottle of 91% ISO into the pre-wash cycle of my washer to see if it helped clean microfibers better. Truth of the matter is, that washing machines just do NOT get them clean enough and over the longterm contaminate build up into the fibers and affect softness and absorbency. And I bought a brand new LG Tru steam washer/dryer that cost me about $3k thinking it'll clean my towels better, but to no difference.

The other day I was cleaning my backyard and power washing the concrete which gets moldy (we get lots of rain). I came across 2 MF towels that were retired from my waterless car wash onto houshold duty. These MF's didn't absorb any water anymore, were rough feeling, the fibers were all matted together.. they were disgusting. They were actually so bad that I left them outside from the last cleaning over 3 months ago blowing around in the wind/rain with the leaves and everything. Well after I power washed the concrete i decided to blast the towels. Well to my surprise, they came out virtually BRAND FRIKKEN NEW!!

I was SO surprised I ran to the shop and grabbed all my current washing MF's and spent 3 hours power washing them all to virtually brand new status and even busted out a bag of old ones laying in my closet and cleaned them back into regular use cycle!!

NOTE: These MF's never seen a dryer so I cannot say with certainty that power washing can undo certain damage cause by heat or improper drying. We go through so many towels that for the dedicated wash towels, I skip the dryer and just bag them after the spin cycle for direct use. Next day off I will attempt this on towels that see the dryer constantly (delicate cycle).

Here are youtube vid links: Sorry I tried to edit them into something better but for some reason my windows movie maker wasn't reading the mp4's or something. SO here are the uncut/unedited vids

Vid1: Water beading, and ISO test, blurring bad vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5mILjPtgZM

You can see in the vid how the fibers are all matted, and that the towel rejects water like it has fabric guard on it. I did the ISO on there just to see if it would bead as well, but it just soaked right in. Note: you do not need the ISO to clean them, it was just for reference on what the MF would reject.

Vid2: Power washing, leg hairs, wobbly camera, slipper tan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXGfoK0ALqM

The power washer nozzle I used was the spinning turbo one, and it was a blue AR 2000psi model pressure washer bought on Amazon for $150 (free ship to HI).

I am NOT going to be doing this every wash cycle. Maybe once every 2-3 months once I notice the fiber get built up with gunk. But its awesome to know that I dont have to be buying bulk lots of MF's every few months anymore. :dblthumb2::dblthumb2::dblthumb2: