PDA

View Full Version : Auto Mechanical Help around Pa/Nj border off I95

Mantilgh
08-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Anyone in this area with mechanical skills or know of a good shop. My sister just broke down off of I95 close to the Pa/Nj border with her two kids on her way back home to Boston. Says it happened near Newtown(SP?) Pa and is with a friend now in Spillman(SP?) Nj.

Place that towed it say she lost a spark plug and it is stripped out. Shop says they cannot do a helicoil. Don't know if they cannot physically do it or if they don't think it will work. I said what place calls them self a auto shop and cannot do a helicoil.

Vehicle is a newer, 2010ish maybe older, Honda Odyssey.

Her current plan is a to rent a uhaul and trailer and haul it back home. Local, to where she is now, dealership can't get to for a week. She must get back to work and keep her job.

Any other suggestions?

If she could get a helicoil put in, would it hold?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mantilgh
08-19-2015, 12:59 PM
I'm on the road right now and will be home in a hour or so. Believe she is about 4hrs away from where I live. Maybe I'll run up and try to do it for her.

How much of a PITA would be to do a helicoil?

Other than trying to get it lined up straight, any tips?

dpk20x
08-19-2015, 02:18 PM
Hey man I've never attempted this before but after a quick google search it sounds doable.

Sounds like you can put some grease on your tap to catch any metal shavings and preventing them from falling in the combustion chamber.

Use a pair of needle nose pliers to break the tang and don't drop it!

Looks like there was a few good videos on YouTube that might have some decent pointers in there.

Good luck

Mantilgh
08-19-2015, 04:14 PM
Thanks man. Didn't even think about it needing to be taped out, duh. Still possible form watching some of the vids. Apparently this is a common problem with them. Was just looking at Time-Sert. Seems like a better option, but would have to order. And might even have to order helicoil kit too. Guess it requires their special tap and whatnot.

Does anybody know of a reputable mechanic in the Boston area that would do this?

Hate to have her take it to the stealership.

Setec Astronomy
08-19-2015, 04:51 PM
And might even have to order helicoil kit too. Guess it requires their special tap and whatnot.

Don't they sell those in auto parts stores? Maybe even the chains like Advance Auto have them...

Mantilgh
08-19-2015, 05:20 PM
All the Advance stores in my area say "out of stock".

Ace- ships to store in...

Sears- ships

At least for the kits anyway

Setec Astronomy
08-19-2015, 05:24 PM
A "real" auto parts store should have it--are there any of those any more? Is this a 4 or a 6? Hopefully it's not on the bank facing the firewall or under the intake manifold like some of these engines--my friend's car I had to remove the top half of the manifold to change the plugs--the manual actually said to remove the throttle cable etc., I sad screw that and just swung it out of the way with the cables attached.

Good luck, man.

Mantilgh
08-19-2015, 05:36 PM
Yeah, seems like they don't stock isht anymore.

Just talked to her again. She rented a truck and trailer and getting ready to hit the road.

Sad thing is she was all excited to watch it rollover 100k on the way back

Mantilgh
08-19-2015, 05:49 PM
Did get to clean this up while she was here. At one point she wore the pad through then cleaned them with a pot scrubber, and I bet it wasn't the green 3M style ones.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2675/medium/image1595.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2675/medium/image1596.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2675/medium/image1597.jpg

AAezra
08-20-2015, 12:37 AM
After I read blew out a spark plug I thought it was going to be a ford. It happens a lot. But a Honda that's new. Must not have been torqued down and it can loose then it eventually wore out the threads. Anyways you want a " timesert" not helicoil. NAPA, sells an equivalent to the timesert for like 5-8$ then the tap another 8-12$. The insert comes with its own high temp lock tire sealant and I assume it's a newer Honda so pop in a new iridium plug should be good another 100k. Wait a day or so after the repair before driving and then drive it easy for a few days to make sure it's all set and good to go. Sorry I'm not closer or I would help you out.

Tap, insert, grease patience and towels are you're friend