PDA

View Full Version : Removing Stubborn Plasti Dip From Weather Stripping?

Suzukibking08
08-19-2015, 07:29 AM
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking on the forums for a while now educating myself on all of the products, lingo and reading up on different techniques used by all of the great automotive detailers on the forum.

I've ran into a problem and figured it was time to ask the experts.

I bought a used car that someone performed a horrible plasti dip job on, they taped nothing off and look like they sprayed the car with there eyes closed. I have removed most of the plasti dip the only part I am having trouble with is the plasti dip on the weather stripping around the doors.

The only real way I have had any success is to rub as hard as I can with a MF..rubbing hard enough to where the weather stripping actually gets pretty warm. I can clean about a 3-4 inch section in about 10 minutes.

Needless to say, I am looking for suggestions on a product that can make this job a little bit easier. Thanks in advance!

http://s14.postimg.org/7pkhk7j8h/20150801_131343_1_800x450.jpg

wils91
08-19-2015, 09:35 AM
Use some type of tar remover on a Terry or mf towel, or with a soft bristled brush. Tarminator, tar-x, etc. Use a clean spot of the towel often. Then after the the dip is all off go back over the rubber with a towel and apc. You could also use WD-40 on a towel or with a small soft bristled brush.
Spray the product right on the towel so you don't get it on anything but the rubber

Suzukibking08
08-19-2015, 09:47 AM
I'll try some type or tar remover, I have tried WD-40, didn't help much.

parttimer
08-19-2015, 09:57 AM
How about goo-gone?

Phimp27
08-19-2015, 01:14 PM
I just recently took off plasti dip off my buddies GSXR about 2 weeks ago. He sprayed it everywhere.

What I found that worked really well was turtle wax tar and adhesive remover.

While there really is no weather stripping he did get it on some rubber parts.

What I did was spray the part with the tar remover let it sit for about a minute and wipe it with a MF.

The tar remover just almost melted it and took it right off.

I used Goo gone also and it did not work that good. Also tried mineral spirits. That worked better but not as good.

Hopefully this helps

Suzukibking08
08-19-2015, 01:46 PM
I just recently took off plasti dip off my buddies GSXR about 2 weeks ago. He sprayed it everywhere.

What I found that worked really well was turtle wax tar and adhesive remover.

While there really is no weather stripping he did get it on some rubber parts.

What I did was spray the part with the tar remover let it sit for about a minute and wipe it with a MF.

The tar remover just almost melted it and took it right off.

I used Goo gone also and it did not work that good. Also tried mineral spirits. That worked better but not as good.

Hopefully this helps
I don't see a product made by turtle wax called tar and adhesive remover?

Phimp27
08-19-2015, 05:51 PM
I apologize. It's called Label & Sticker Remover. I picked up a bottle of it at Pepboys for I believe $5.

Suzukibking08
08-19-2015, 08:03 PM
Having a tough time with this stuff, wd40-no, goo gone- no, turtle wax- no....running out of options?

Phimp27
08-19-2015, 09:56 PM
Wow. That stuff made the plasti dip melt off for me.

Only other thing I can think of is maybe meguiars M39. It's their heavy duty vinyl and rubber cleaner. Spray it on and scrub with a tooth brush.

Suzukibking08
08-20-2015, 07:40 AM
Wow. That stuff made the plasti dip melt off for me.

Only other thing I can think of is maybe meguiars M39. It's their heavy duty vinyl and rubber cleaner. Spray it on and scrub with a tooth brush.

Ah, I bought the wrong stuff...I bought this:

Amazon.com: Turtle Wax T-520A Bug and Tar Remover, Trigger - 16 oz.: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-520A-Remover-Trigger/dp/B0009JKGII)

Phimp27
08-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Oh. Try what I posted. I picked it up locally at a pepboys. Hopefully it'll work

01GreyStangGT
08-20-2015, 09:14 PM
My teenage son likes to experiment with Plastidip on his Mustang. Terminator works like a charm to get it off of his. The first time he used it was on the hood scoop and the car looked like Stevie Wonder had sprayed it because of the overspray.

Dave_k
08-20-2015, 10:42 PM
If you're concerned about damaging the trim, or whatever plasti dip is setting onto off, you could tape off and apply a few thick coats of plasti dip. The thicker it is, the easier it is to peel. Just a suggestion.

Obviously not the fastest or most convenient way, buy likely the safest.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

EWtheDETAILER
08-20-2015, 11:14 PM
I have found Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover works well to remove Plasti-Dip. Apply liberally and give it a few minutes to soak before working it. Good luck my fellow Autogeek! I hope the end is near for this Plastidip phase!