PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Wheels--Help!

cooker2000
09-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to clean the aluminum wheels on my car. They have about 2 years of brakes dust, road tar, and just plain dirt and grime built up on them. I can get the dirt off down to the wheel, but there are spots on the wheel that will not come off, i'm thinking that the gunk over the pasr few years have stained the metal. I have tried car soap, mr. clean, mineral spirits and nothing seems to work. Are there any commercal products that will work or any ideas that will help or am I stuck with the "stains".

Thanks.
Cooker2000

Reddwarf
09-16-2007, 10:58 AM
:Picture:

If you post a few pictures it will be easier for folks to advise you.

cooker2000
09-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Here is a pic of what I'm dealing with.

Hope this helps.
Cooker2000

ChristR
09-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Have you tried clay?

Reddwarf
09-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Have you tried using a clay bar? Or some Aluminum polish (like Mother's)? One or both of those should show some improvement.

My wheels are painted and when I acquired the car the brake dust had etched in some pits that could not be removed. I eventually had the wheels refinished.

Gary Sword
09-16-2007, 12:27 PM
First is best to determine if the wheels have been clear coated of not. You can tell putting a little polish on a rag and rubbing a spot on the wheel. If the rag turns black they have not been clear coated. If brake dust is left on for years it will pit the clear coat and can even pit the aluminum. If the wheels have not been clear coated something like P21s Polishing Soap works good. If they are really bad you can even wet sand and polish them. It is a lot of work. They are places that will refinish wheels. If they are clear coated you can try compounding and polishing them. From the picture you posted they definitely look like they are pitted.

ScottB
09-16-2007, 12:34 PM
those look like pits, can your finger nail pick them up or feel them ?? If aluminum has pitted, your stuck. Polishing soap and metal polish will only do so much.

cooker2000
09-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the input everyone.
They are not clear coated. I'm going to try to wet sanding them, if that doesn't help i'll try the P21 Polishing Soap. Wish me luck. I'm new to this detailing stuff, so more questiond might follow.

Thanks again.
Cooker2000

Truls
09-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Guess i would try P21s ps before wet sanding....

Mothers polishing ball is also a great tool when it comes to correct alu wheels imo, that and a good alu polsih does a good job....

cooker2000
09-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Well I took a very close inspection of the wheels (took a magnifing glass) and have determined thay are pitted.:( I guess that doesn't leave me with a bunch of options. I'm going to try to get as much out as possible and polish them in hopes that it will help keep the dust and gunk off somewhat.

Wish me luck.

Cooker2000

mixxer
09-16-2007, 01:43 PM
i just cleaned non coated aluminum bogarts with the duragloss aluminum polish and it worked well. Duragloss Aluminum Polish (AP) #870 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-aluminum-polish.html)