PDA

View Full Version : My College Car Care Adventure

Pages : [1] 2

conman1395
08-18-2015, 04:40 PM
This thread is going to be for myself and anyone else interested in my experience taking care of my car during college. I spent last week polishing and then coating my car with Cquartz. I have a 2010 Acura TSX in Premium White Pearl (thank god it's not black!).

I don’t honestly know how often I will be updating this thread, but I’m always on the forum whether it be on my computer or phone so I’ll definitely add things periodically.

Anyway, here’s what I’ve got at my apartment. I brought maybe one fourth of my supplies. Like at home, I’ll be keeping this in my closet so temperatures will be controlled.
Not everything pictured, but:
D101, D114, DG 921, Folex, Eco Touch WW, Mother’s WW, Sponges, Microfiber Madness Incredimitt and Incredipad, detail brushes, and more. I will run to Home Depot across the street to buy a couple more buckets.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/EZ800_Closet_1.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/99030)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/EZ800_Closet_2.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/99031)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/EZ800_Closet_3.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/99032)

I’m going to school at the University of Kansas, so I experience every season to almost every degree – 100 degree summers and cold, sometimes very snowy winters. I will be washing my car doing both rinseless and waterless (I’m curious see which one I end up using most). In addition to the rinseless and waterless washes, there are a few touchless and DIY coin operated car washes around me I will utilize as well. I brought some Duragloss 901 with me as well so I can do some traditional washes if I want.
I am a diehard Kansas City Chiefs fan so I will be driving home for all the home games (except for that dumb London game where the Lions will obviously have more fans than us…). I will have stuff there to also wash my car.

I welcome any and all tips for myself or others. I’m sure the number of Autogeek members in college isn’t that large, but I know there are some and I feel like I can take care of my car just as well as I have at home even though I don’t have a garage and all my supplies.

I’m hoping I can get to the coin operated wash today and get my first wash done. It’s been 7 days since I coated my car and it actually poured rain on my today going home for an appointment I had.

Mask
08-18-2015, 07:14 PM
Sound cool :)
wondering how you perform rinseless & waterless and your thoughts after coating. I'll be interested if you have time to show your steps.
Do keep us update!!!

KMdef9
08-18-2015, 07:40 PM
Have a shaded area lined up already?

conman1395
08-18-2015, 07:44 PM
Have a shaded area lined up already?
Yeah I pay for a car port to park under.

conman1395
08-18-2015, 07:46 PM
Sound cool :)
wondering how you perform rinseless & waterless and your thoughts after coating. I'll be interested if you have time to show your steps.
Do keep us update!!!
Definitely. It's actually been raining all day so if it stops soon enough to allow the roads to dry then I will. I'll need to go to the coin op today first before I'm willing to do rinseless or waterless though.

frankprozzoly
08-18-2015, 07:48 PM
I'm afraid of doing a waterless wash. I guess I'd do one if it was only the next day after a rinseless. My version of a WW is is spraying down the panel and wiping down with a wrung out MF from a RW bucket. I guess that's not really a WW but I just don't feel comfortable wiping with down with a completely dry towel

conman1395
08-18-2015, 08:08 PM
I'm afraid of doing a waterless wash. I guess I'd do one if it was only the next day after a rinseless. My version of a WW is is spraying down the panel and wiping down with a wrung out MF from a RW bucket. I guess that's not really a WW but I just don't feel comfortable wiping with down with a completely dry towel
I feel ya, I used to be in the same boat.

Honestly, it takes some trust in the product and practice too. When I worked at the shop in KC over this past summer and winter I got some practice doing rinseless and waterless washes - both of which I wasn't very comfortable doing. Now I can tell the level of dirt appropriate for both and feel safe doing either when appropriate.

conman1395
08-19-2015, 01:03 PM
Correction, I left DG 921 at home. At college I have DG 931.

It rained on and off all last night. I will hopefully get a chance tonight to go wash my car.

Heisenberg
08-19-2015, 02:20 PM
Fellow 2010 TSX owner here. I have Gloss Coat on my car. Makes life so much easier.

Looks like you have everything you should need to keep everything clean while you're away!

ViperGuy21
08-19-2015, 03:21 PM
This is a great thread for me. I will be going to college next year so I need to be prepared haha

gski
08-19-2015, 03:21 PM

In your WW scenario, you could also spray your towel a bit so it's not a dry towel wiping the panel/ww solution.

conman1395
08-19-2015, 08:47 PM
This is a great thread for me. I will be going to college next year so I need to be prepared haha
I'm in my junior year now, but before I just dealt with it and went home on the breaks and cleaned it. This time I'm on a lease so I'm here for at least a year.

conman1395
08-19-2015, 08:48 PM
Fellow 2010 TSX owner here. I have Gloss Coat on my car. Makes life so much easier.

Looks like you have everything you should need to keep everything clean while you're away!

I almost used Gloss Coat instead (also considered Opti-Coat Pro + since I had that available too) but chose Cquartz because I wanted something I hadn't tried before.

conman1395
08-19-2015, 08:52 PM
It's one of my friend's friends 21st tonight, so I'll either be going to the party and then go out tonight or wash my car.

My friend and I stopped by Home Depot and picked up three buckets. They're less than $3 each.... Why would you buy other buckets??!!

ViperGuy21
08-19-2015, 10:45 PM
I'm in my junior year now, but before I just dealt with it and went home on the breaks and cleaned it. This time I'm on a lease so I'm here for at least a year.

Yeah,nit just a rising HS senior but since I've gotten into detailing so much so early I know I won't wanna just deal with it. That would hurt my OCD haha! I'm really hoping for a single room in the honors dorm so I have plenty of room for my stuff(and don't have to deal with possibly having a bad/dirty/irritating roommate)