PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid engine cleaning

spam7788
08-18-2015, 04:06 PM
Hello everyone,

This is my first posting in AG.

I searched and couldn't really find any detail info how to clean a Hybrid engine.

searched other site, some said it is "Ok", some said "never" wash a Hybrid engine.

someone recommended using washless method, but feels that won't be clean enough for engine bay.

From what I can tell, I will def cover the O2 sensor in middle, and the orange cable to the battery on the right.

Anyone has any experience with hybrid engine?

here's a pic of a Honda Hybrid engine.

Thanks,

aim4squirrels
08-18-2015, 04:23 PM
Whatever you can accomplish with a garden hose and sprayer, you can also accomplish with towels. The difference is the towels will allow you to apply product exactly where you want it.

Spray any cleaners directly into your towels and wipe off the parts by hand. Then rinse those towels in water and wipe off the detergent before applying any dressings.

Dressings can be applied with sponges or towels, too.

Nick McKees37
08-18-2015, 04:39 PM
I would consider performing a cosmetic engine detail. This is a much safer approach, especially for a vehicle with as complex a drivetrain as a hybrid.

7 Minute Engine Detailing with BLACKFIRE (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/94129-7-minute-engine-detailing-blackfire.html)

Cosmetic engine detailing generally takes 10 minutes or less, and there's no fear of damaging expensive electrical components because you're not introducing water to the engine. Put it this way, cosmetic engine detailing using this new kit from BLACKFIRE is so easy that your grandmother could do it. No kidding.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=98349

spam7788
08-18-2015, 05:04 PM
thanks guys.

I'll give it a shot when AZ sun is not 115F.

oldmodman
08-18-2015, 08:54 PM
Don't forget that the vehicle is designed to be driven in wet weather.

All water sensitive points should be shielded and safe to get wet.

Otherwise there would be a ton of carbq's every time it rained.

davey g-force
08-18-2015, 09:20 PM
:iagree:

Just use a bit of common sense and don't flood / cover any electrical components. Not that different to a 'normal' engine bay really...

Mantilgh
08-18-2015, 09:26 PM
Don't forget that the vehicle is designed to be driven in wet weather.

All water sensitive points should be shielded and safe to get wet.

Otherwise there would be a ton of carbq's every time it rained.

That's what I would think. Just treat like any other modern engine, but I'm not the one pulling the trigger.

You should see how we cleaned engines at the salvage yard, it's called the clam. Basically an enclosed hot water and alkaline pressure washer with a turntable in it. All sensors stayed on and doubt most shops swapped them out unless they had to. Never had any problems or complaints, but never had the pleasure of doing a hybrid either.

dcjredline
08-18-2015, 11:19 PM
If I were that worried about it (like when I did a 1991 Jaguar XJS) I would spray my degreaser (10:1) or Waterless wash product lightly on the engine, brush heavily soiled areas, and then give it a good wipe down with a MF towel. For dressing I used Meguiar's HyperDressing at 3:1

Being a much more modern engine and all the seals etc being in much better condition I wouldnt be afraid to hit that engine with my PW, I know most dont like PW on engines.

BillE
08-19-2015, 06:56 AM
A "trick" that I've used when a bit doubtful about how much water to use is to have a garden sprayer (the pump-up kind) filled with water. One can 'get up close and personal' with almost any area.

Bill