PDA

View Full Version : Interiors: APC vs Dedicated Cleaner

Pages : [1] 2

AustrianOak82
08-18-2015, 06:14 AM
I have always used 4:1 APC to clean all of interior carpets and upholstery, including headliners. I usually topped with Folex just to make it easier to remove stains and odors, plus it smells good. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the differences between APC for interiors vs a dedicated carpet and upholstery cleaner. There have been a few interiors that I have done that seemed to still have some lingering odors, despite the use of steam. I was wondering if a dedicated cleaner might tackle those better than just a standard APC & folex combo. Thanks.

ViperGuy21
08-18-2015, 07:37 AM
I'm not familiar with Folex, but in my experience CG Fabric Clean is my go to. It's got a faint citrus scent and a good odor eliminator. Plus it cleans really well.
Here's a review I wrote on it:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/94205-cg-fabric-clean-review.html

Audios S6
08-18-2015, 07:56 AM
If you're using APC, the only chemistry you have going for you is an alkaline cleaner and surfactants, maybe a little glycol or butyl ether depending on the product. Pretty sure that folex is just a surfactant cleaner.

Find your local carpet cleaning distributor and take a look at what they have to offer. My results have improved dramatically since buying dedicated products. You can expect them to cost a bit more than APC per gallon of concentrate, but they have similar or better dilution ratios (1:10 or 1:64 often). A lot of these products rely on an extractor so do your research; pretty much all the bottles will have clear instructions for different use methods.

CDot
08-18-2015, 08:03 AM
Not a pro ,so take this with a grain of salt--but I like using a dedicated carpet/upholstery cleaner. I find APC needs to be "washed" out/off lest you get re-soiling when the surface gets wet and that makes it tough for carpet unless it's specifically made to do so (i.e. I find Tuff Stuff is fairly effective on carpet/upholstery). Folex seems best for the job :-)

AustrianOak82
08-18-2015, 08:27 AM
If you're using APC, the only chemistry you have going for you is an alkaline cleaner and surfactants, maybe a little glycol or butyl ether depending on the product. Pretty sure that folex is just a surfactant cleaner.

Find your local carpet cleaning distributor and take a look at what they have to offer. My results have improved dramatically since buying dedicated products. You can expect them to cost a bit more than APC per gallon of concentrate, but they have similar or better dilution ratios (1:10 or 1:64 often). A lot of these products rely on an extractor so do your research; pretty much all the bottles will have clear instructions for different use methods.

I actually lease my shop space from a carpet cleaning business, which works out well. Not sure why I didn't think of that. I will see what he recommends for carpets/upholstery. Thinking now I could probably get a better price for bulk cleaner from one of his distributors.

expdetailing
08-18-2015, 08:42 AM
If nothing else, I believe the dedicated cleaners leave a much fresher scent than APC.

wdmaccord
08-18-2015, 09:23 AM
I use APC on interior plastics only. And I dilute 1:10.
For leather I use a dedicated leather cleaner.
For carpets/upholstery I use CG Lightning Fast with an upholstery brush and rinse well with just hot water in a bissell.
For carpeted mats with rubber backing, I'll use CG Fabric Clean as I prefer to use that with a hose because it foams a lot.

richy
08-18-2015, 10:23 AM
Folex is a great product for carpets and so is Zep Premium Carpet Concentrate. See this terrible interior I did and contrasted the Zep to APC:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/91059-rescued-hell-1969-corvette-convertible.html

benji00
08-18-2015, 12:33 PM
If nothing else, I believe the dedicated cleaners leave a much fresher scent than APC.

Yea, the thought having the APC smell in the car doesn't sound too awesome.

Mike Calloway
08-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Folex is great. OPC is amazing and barely has a smell.

Dereksdtail
08-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Folex,megs apc,leather cleaner/conditioner,cg lightning and fabric clean,quick interior Detailer and Zep extractor shampoo💵

rwright
08-18-2015, 04:35 PM
Folex is a great product for carpets and so is Zep Premium Carpet Concentrate. See this terrible interior I did and contrasted the Zep to APC:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/91059-rescued-hell-1969-corvette-convertible.html

The 2 products I now use for carpets as well. Zep Premium Carpet Shampoo works excellent and leaves a fresh scent in my opinion. For vehicles with a little odor that the owner doesn't purchase the higher end shampoo package, I'll spray liberal amounts of Zep Air & Fabric Refresher after a thorough vacuum and panel wipe down.

tpr1634
08-18-2015, 05:22 PM
Megs d101 10:1 works well 4:1 stronger if needed.

KMdef9
08-18-2015, 06:05 PM
Why would you "top" with Folex? Is the APC not cleaning well enough?

I use dedicated cleaners so I don't have to worry about dilutions. I'd never touch leather with 4:1 APC.

Folex for most fabrics, megs APC at 10:1 if the plastic is dirty, usually use a quick interior detailer for most surfaces. And a ph balanced leather cleaner.

AustrianOak82
08-18-2015, 06:28 PM
Megs d101 10:1 works well 4:1 stronger if needed.
Did you read my question?

Why would you "top" with Folex? Is the APC not cleaning well enough?

I use dedicated cleaners so I don't have to worry about dilutions. I'd never touch leather with 4:1 APC.

Folex for most fabrics, megs APC at 10:1 if the plastic is dirty, usually use a quick interior detailer for most surfaces. And a ph balanced leather cleaner.
I just always have. The Folex smells better than the APC so it helps with that.