PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 660 Gps Question

BILL
09-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Haven't received mine yet but was wondering if the charger end is inserted into the windshield mounted itself for DC charging and not on the unit GPS 660
:confused:

wytstang
09-16-2007, 09:44 PM
I think around Christmas I will pick up a GPS thingy. when you get it and use it for a bit let me know how you like it.

AL417
09-17-2007, 05:48 AM
Haven't received mine yet but was wondering if the charger end is inserted into the windshield mounted itself for DC charging and not on the unit GPS 660
:confused:The charger goes into the mount.

BILL
09-17-2007, 07:16 AM
The charger goes into the mount.

Thanks......i also ordered the friction mount to take the place of the notorious falling off the windshield mount, and wonder if you plug into that mount also...cant find any info on it...:confused:

BILL
09-17-2007, 07:17 AM
I think around Christmas I will pick up a GPS thingy. when you get it and use it for a bit let me know how you like it.

OK! will do ;)

BlackElantraGT
09-18-2007, 02:44 AM
the part that is connected to charge is a separate piece with a recessed area for a ball and socket joint. This piece will come with your Nuvi 660. You will still need this piece to connect it to the friction mount. The friction mount itself has the "ball" part, which connects to the socket (which is where the charger plugs into).

The friction mount is the best money spent if you're a Nuvi owner. Don't even waste your time with the windshield mount that it comes with. You'll have to go through the trouble of your nav unit falling off and trying to get baked on rubber off of your windshield. I still haven't been able to completely removed all the rubber off.

I really did not think I'd get much use out of m nav since I'm not a traveling salesman or in unfamiliar areas all the time, but it's come in handy countless times. It's definitely worth the price, especially considering there are bluetooth only units that costs hundreds and won't even do some of the bluetooth functions the Nuvi 660 has.

BILL
09-18-2007, 06:33 AM
the part that is connected to charge is a separate piece with a recessed area for a ball and socket joint. This piece will come with your Nuvi 660. You will still need this piece to connect it to the friction mount. The friction mount itself has the "ball" part, which connects to the socket (which is where the charger plugs into).

The friction mount is the best money spent if you're a Nuvi owner. Don't even waste your time with the windshield mount that it comes with. You'll have to go through the trouble of your nav unit falling off and trying to get baked on rubber off of your windshield. I still haven't been able to completely removed all the rubber off.

I really did not think I'd get much use out of m nav since I'm not a traveling salesman or in unfamiliar areas all the time, but it's come in handy countless times. It's definitely worth the price, especially considering there are bluetooth only units that costs hundreds and won't even do some of the bluetooth functions the Nuvi 660 has.

Thanks very much.......that clears up things for me......:)

BILL
09-21-2007, 07:54 AM
Hi, I'm interested in the FODORS SD card for the travel and leisure feature on the garmin nuvi 660

just slip the SD in the GPS and leave it in ??.... i can get one for 55 bucks.

great idea for looking for places to eat and rest in unfamiliar areas....

thanks.......

BlackElantraGT
09-21-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm not familiar with the Fodor's Travel Guide, but from the sample they provide built into the Nuvi, it seems like an interesting feature if you're in unfamiliar territory. For me, it's not worth the $55-$70 bucks. We have AAA so if I were to take a trip somewhere, I can get them to print a Triptic or I will do the research before hand where I want to stay and visit, etc. If it was cheaper I'd consider it, but it's not a necessity because you can easily look up places to eat or stay without it. You just won't have some writer's opinion of the place, that's all.

I'd rather use that money toward's the Saversguide card, as that gives you the discounts you would get from the Entertainment book. The only problem is the Saversguide card is too expensive considering you can pick up the Entertainment Book for $5-$15 some times when you can find a really good deal. Even at full price it's still much cheaper than what Garmin wants.