PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Lens vs. DLux on Headlights

Setec Astronomy
08-15-2015, 09:35 AM
Anybody have any side-by-side or back-to-back comparison for this? I'm getting less than 2 years life from Opti-Lens (2 coats), not sure whether to just keep using Opti-Lens with 3 coats (as some suggest) or try DLux.

builthatch
08-15-2015, 09:50 AM
i just removed some worn Dlux from some sail panels. just like my previous experience, it came off with some full strength Power Clean, an old Advance Auto microfiber and a little elbow grease.

i'm glad some people find it to work well but imo it's weak. i can't even imagine using it on a high abuse area like the headlights. between (esp) road wash, heat and UV. but if people do and like it, excellent.

you know what i'd do, haha. i think Opti-Lens is neat after dealing with so many weak products over the years for that use.

how does Opti-Lens degrade for you? meaning, what actually happens??

Setec Astronomy
08-15-2015, 10:00 AM
how does Opti-Lens degrade for you? meaning, what actually happens??

Yellowing/fogging/crazing. That's on lenses outside 24/7.

grungy
08-15-2015, 12:30 PM
Setec - are you using Opti-Lens on Lexan or polycarbinate? I'm wondering as my SUV uses Lexan for the headlights (poor choice).

Setec Astronomy
08-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Setec - are you using Opti-Lens on Lexan or polycarbinate? I'm wondering as my SUV uses Lexan for the headlights (poor choice).

Lexan is just a trade name for polycarbonate.

antti@561detailing
08-16-2015, 10:04 AM
Dlux turned yellow after 6 months outside...just had customer stopping by, did his lights 6 months ago...and they looked bad...if you are not happy with close to 2 years...I am sure nothing will make you happy...even new lights most likely will be bad after 24/7 outside.

Mask
08-16-2015, 10:12 AM
Tint the headlamp ;)

Setec Astronomy
08-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Dlux turned yellow after 6 months outside...just had customer stopping by, did his lights 6 months ago...and they looked bad...if you are not happy with close to 2 years...I am sure nothing will make you happy...even new lights most likely will be bad after 24/7 outside.

Nothing will make me happy? I'm just looking for a comparison between Opti-Lens and DLux, which you have given me (thanks).

Sure new lights go bad after being outside 24/7...but it takes longer than 2 years IME.

MarkD51
08-16-2015, 10:49 AM
Nothing will make me happy? I'm just looking for a comparison between Opti-Lens and DLux, which you have given me (thanks).

Sure new lights go bad after being outside 24/7...but it takes longer than 2 years IME.

Reckon it might depend upon where one lives, and also how great a degree of neglect, as to how fast new lenses deteriorate.

Not sure of this, but perhaps too, not all Polycarbonate is created equal? Meaning that maybe lenses on a Mercedes might hold up better than on a Ford-Chevy?

Setec Astronomy
08-16-2015, 10:59 AM
Reckon it might depend upon where one lives, and also how great a degree of neglect, as to how fast new lenses deteriorate.

Not sure of this, but perhaps too, not all Polycarbonate is created equal? Meaning that maybe lenses on a Mercedes might hold up better than on a Ford-Chevy?

Sure, plenty of variables, how much time outside, latitude, shade. I would speculate not so much difference in polycarbonate but probably some noticeable difference in the factory coatings used to protect the polycarbonate, which might have more to do with the mfr. of the headlight rather than the customer (OEM), although there are probably some differences related to that also. FWIW seen plenty of Benzes with hazed headlights.