PDA

View Full Version : Sub $3 Grand Commuter

Pages : [1] 2

Nabors
08-14-2015, 08:24 PM
Hey AGO,

It's not related to my other topics, but I figure that if anyone can have sensible options, it is my detailing friends at AGO!

I sold my 7.3 and with school starting back up in a couple weeks, I'm in the need of a sensible commuter car.

I have been looking at early 2000s Civics, Foci and VW Golfs (5 speeds only). I'm looking for some reliable and fun to drive suggestions.

Thank you very much!

builthatch
08-14-2015, 08:28 PM
Hey AGO,

It's not related to my other topics, but I figure that if anyone can have sensible options, it is my detailing friends at AGO!

I sold my 7.3 and with school starting back up in a couple weeks, I'm in the need of a sensible commuter car.

I have been looking at early 2000s Civics, Foci and VW Golfs (5 speeds only). I'm looking for some reliable and fun to drive suggestions.

Thank you very much!

96-00 Honda Civic. absolutely, 100% the best choice. the most fun would be anything with a vtec engine (EX or Si) and manual trans. best for fuel would be a LX/DX with manual...but the DX/CX hatch would be the most efficient because they had the 3.72 final drive (vs. 4.06 for the coupe/sedan LX/DX manuals)

they are built like legos, and more or less the same architecture since the mid-'80s.

parts are cheap, readily available...they are reliable and the cars are so easy to work on. good on gas and surprisingly roomy.

and, to make them fun to drive, all you need is high quality set of dampers, an Eibach Pro Kit spring kit and good tires!

the biggest challenge is to find one that doesn't have some sort of body rot behind the rear wheels or underneath. but it's definitely possible, just gets harder the closer the car was to the "salt belt" or shore areas.

Nabors
08-14-2015, 08:49 PM
96-00 Honda Civic. absolutely, 100% the best choice. the most fun would be anything with a vtec engine (EX or Si) and manual trans. best for fuel would be a LX/DX with manual...but the DX/CX hatch would be the most efficient because they had the 3.72 final drive (vs. 4.06 for the coupe/sedan LX/DX manuals)

they are built like legos, and more or less the same architecture since the mid-'80s.

parts are cheap, readily available...they are reliable and the cars are so easy to work on. good on gas and surprisingly roomy.

and, to make them fun to drive, all you need is high quality set of dampers, an Eibach Pro Kit spring kit and good tires!

the biggest challenge is to find one that doesn't have some sort of body rot behind the rear wheels or underneath. but it's definitely possible, just gets harder the closer the car was to the "salt belt" or shore areas.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm about an hour inland, so hopefully that is far enough from the shores to avoid that kind of rotting! The smaller numbers also look much better to me!

FOCUS.FREAK
08-14-2015, 10:32 PM
Yea if you find a nicer civic for around your asking price just make sure everything is on point. Engine and trans exc.... most burn oil or will eventually burn oil. Focus within that price range idk about I have an 09 focus with the newer style engine. Some of the older focus has a different engine that would drop a valve seat?

MPBGT
08-14-2015, 10:35 PM
I would go with the Civic or Focus, reliable and easy to fix. VW's are great cars but can be difficult to work on and parts are expensive.

Marc08EX
08-14-2015, 10:44 PM

I've been trying to look for EK civics but cars in decent condition have astronomical asking prices... $3500-$4000 is ridiculous for a car that's almost 20 years old... The cars that are below $3000 are in terrible condition and would cost money to fix anyway... And no matter what the condition is, the mileage will be quite high because of the chassis' age.

FUNX650
08-15-2015, 01:16 AM
2000-2002 Buick Regal, or Buick LeSabre

Bob

Nabors
08-15-2015, 08:32 AM
Yea if you find a nicer civic for around your asking price just make sure everything is on point. Engine and trans exc.... most burn oil or will eventually burn oil. Focus within that price range idk about I have an 09 focus with the newer style engine. Some of the older focus has a different engine that would drop a valve seat?

My first car was a 79 C10. I learned basic bodywork on that...and it still was held together by rust. I spent more money on keeping oil behind my seat than I did on gas.

I know that the early Zetecs in Europe had a problem with the valves hitting the cylinder head if the timing belt broke.

I would go with the Civic or Focus, reliable and easy to fix. VW's are great cars but can be difficult to work on and parts are expensive.

I threw in the VW because of the reputation, but have been weary due to the reason you listed. I can get more "interesting" cars when I graduate and I'm putting money in my bank account rather than taking it out!

I've been trying to look for EK civics but cars in decent condition have astronomical asking prices... $3500-$4000 is ridiculous for a car that's almost 20 years old... The cars that are below $3000 are in terrible condition and would cost money to fix anyway... And no matter what the condition is, the mileage will be quite high because of the chassis' age.

That's why I'm trying to stick to the bare bones cars for now. I just need something basic until I can afford to buy something fun.

Bob

I've always wanted a Crown Vic but they are only automatic.:(

FUNX650
08-15-2015, 08:51 AM

I've always wanted a Crown Vic but they are only automatic. :(

Just curious...
What does that have to do with my
previous "Buick suggestions"?

Bob

Nabors
08-15-2015, 09:34 AM
Just curious...
What does that have to do with my
previous "Buick suggestions"?

Bob

Total brain fart moment! You said Buick and for some reason I thought Lincoln/Mercury and drew a line to the Crown Vic thinking that the Buicks were the "luxury" brand of Ford.

dsg03gt
08-15-2015, 10:04 AM
I would go with focus. Parts are very cheap and they are easy to work on. And it's easier to find a focus that isn't all riced out than it would be a civic imo.

FUNX650
08-15-2015, 10:30 AM
Total brain fart moment!
Isn't that a blithesome version of brainstorming?

Bob

builthatch
08-15-2015, 12:04 PM
I threw in the VW because of the reputation, but have been weary due to the reason you listed. I can get more "interesting" cars when I graduate and I'm putting money in my bank account rather than taking it out!

i think that there is a reason that the Civics command what they do. they are the best for the purpose you want. and A LOT of people want them for that. since supply is low for clean examples and demand is high, the price is higher than the alternatives. but the alternatives definitely aren't as good.

if i were to go VW, i'd look into a MKIV base, with the non-turbo...maybe. but they have certain things that are bound to happen often due to design issues and it's annoying. water pump impeller failing is the one that comes to mind. maybe it's a design feature, but i don't ever remember in my entire Honda career having a Honda metal impeller fail!

MPBGT
08-15-2015, 01:58 PM
My first car was a 79 C10. I learned basic bodywork on that...and it still was held together by rust. I spent more money on keeping oil behind my seat than I did on gas.

I know that the early Zetecs in Europe had a problem with the valves hitting the cylinder head if the timing belt broke.

That's why I'm trying to stick to the bare bones cars for now. I just need something basic until I can afford to buy something fun.

I've always wanted a Crown Vic but they are only automatic.:(

I want a Crown Vic, I believe there were 6 built by SVT with manual transmissions and cobra engines for Bondurant racing school. I saw one of them on the power tour. I would love a Merc Marauder with a 6 speed.

LSNAutoDetailing
08-15-2015, 02:02 PM
Civic, will run forever!