PDA

View Full Version : Newbie windshield help and advice

Goin2drt
08-14-2015, 06:52 PM
I am a newbie and weekend warrior detailing only my own cars. I have never, ever done any detailing of my windshield. Literally clean with Invisible glass and thats it.

I would like to detail and get my windshield as perfect as possible, but am a little hesitant.

Car only has about 6K miles on it so the windshield is in pretty good shape, no major defects.

If there a link to a good video or process to detail (polish, protect and coat) my windshield?

Product thoughts?
Use DA (Rupes) or just by hand? If so what pads?
Steps to take etc?

Thanks for the help.

irvsmith
08-14-2015, 09:53 PM
This might be a good start.

http://youtu.be/aVUtdlzrktI

irvsmith
08-14-2015, 10:00 PM
And this one as well.

http://youtu.be/q4WwOrkgXlc

DogRescuer
08-15-2015, 07:35 AM
I would
Wash
Clay
Polish with machine and m105
Remove polish
Clean with 2 ww towels
And drive

Goin2drt
08-15-2015, 07:44 AM
That first video was great. I was looking for those steps and I didn't know I needed a specific pad for windows. Told you I was A newbie. I was also wanting once I did the cleaning and polish the top coat to protect. They use RainX in the video. I was thinking of using the CarPro stuff from AGO. Thoughts?

irvsmith
08-15-2015, 11:36 AM
I use rainx but I believe the carpro stuff is more durable.

DaveT435
08-15-2015, 12:50 PM
That first video was great. I was looking for those steps and I didn't know I needed a specific pad for windows. Told you I was A newbie. I was also wanting once I did the cleaning and polish the top coat to protect. They use RainX in the video. I was thinking of using the CarPro stuff from AGO. Thoughts?

The CarPro product is good. If your going to use the actual glass polishing pads make sure you use the CarPro rayon glass pads. Some of the other brands will actually leave small scratches.
The CarPro Ceriglass is a great product. Make sure and keep it wet and it is a little messy.
With that few miles on the car you may be able to get the road film off with a foam cutting pad and 105 or another compound instead of purchasing more products.

Goin2drt
08-15-2015, 01:29 PM
The CarPro product is good. If your going to use the actual glass polishing pads make sure you use the CarPro rayon glass pads. Some of the other brands will actually leave small scratches.
The CarPro Ceriglass is a great product. Make sure and keep it wet and it is a little messy.
With that few miles on the car you may be able to get the road film off with a foam cutting pad and 105 or another compound instead of purchasing more products.

Great. So not to sound stupid when you say foam cutting pad you mean like the Lake Country ones I use on the paint? I do have 105 so I will try that first.

Thanks for all the help guys, sorry to sound like a total newb but don't want to mess up my car experimenting without at least doing some research first.

DaveT435
08-15-2015, 01:37 PM
Great. So not to sound stupid when you say foam cutting pad you mean like the Lake Country ones I use on the paint? I do have 105 so I will try that first.

Thanks for all the help guys, sorry to sound like a total newb but don't want to mess up my car experimenting without at least doing some research first.

Yes a lake country pad like you use on the paint. You don't leRn if you don't ask questions 😀

Ebg18t
08-15-2015, 02:54 PM

You shouldn't need much more than 105 and a cutting pad after claying to remove and of the crap on the glass since your car is so new. Usually 1x a year i polish the glass, wipe with alcohol (or CarPro Eraser) and apply a fresh coat of sealant. Since my cars are coated with CQUK i just use CarPro Reload on the glass. It actually holds of really well. I wipe the glass with Reload every couple months (~4 months) as it is quick and easy. I am sure Forte is better on glass, but i really don't want to buy more products. I haven't used Rain-X in years and probably never will again.

Goin2drt
08-23-2015, 08:13 PM
So I did the detail today. Here are my thioughts and certainly welcome criticism if I should have done something different. I followed the video above.

Washed with Invisible glass
Clayed with Griots windshield clay and WG clay lubricant
Wiped clay lube with MF
Then I decided to go with the CarPro kit
Polished with their polish and used LC Orange pad
Wiped off excess polish with MF
Used CarPro cleaner with a Low pile MF towel.
Then used the CarPro coating with include suede applicator.

So here is my thoughts. After polishing the windshield was smooth to the touch but OMG it was like the MF was a sticker. It would not glide over the windshield for nothing. I had to work the wipe down the windshield. Even after using the CarPro cleaner before using the coating it was hard at well.
Well the windshield looks awesome. I am letting it cure for the stated 12hrs before taking it out so I will report back once in the day time sun.

Paul A.
08-24-2015, 08:19 AM
DuraGloss Nu Glass with a glass pad.

Coopers ST
08-24-2015, 09:42 AM
After I wash, clay, polish with my DA, I put a glass sealant on. I am using Griots glass sealant now. I actually use it on all the windows now.