PDA

View Full Version : 1st time today - DG101 then DG105

bogusjack
09-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Hi All:

Well my first AG order arrived yesterday, just in time for the weekend! I ordered the ultimitt, some Cobra MF and DG101 & DG105. Today I detailed a silver Malibu Classic which is my mother's car. This is the first time I used the DG products. I have some questions:

1. I used the applicator pad that came w/ DG101. it work well. I applied it and it hazed up , then I buffed it off with the cobra mf detailing cloth. I used about a dime size on the terry side of the applicator to cover roughly a 2 x 2 area. I used a little less the half the bottle to complete the entire car. Did I use enough product? Is it ok to wash the applicator and reuse?

2. After waiting about an hour I applied the DG105. I used the black side of a wolfgang applicator which AG recommended. When I applied the DG105 I did not see any hazing. Furthermore, the product seemed to get lost in the wolfgang applicator. Should I try another applicator tomorrow? Should I see hazing? I only did the hood and the trunk before I stopped. How much of this is the proper amount? Dime size to 2x2 like the DG101?

Thanks for your help!

02CAMSS
09-15-2007, 06:31 PM
I talked to one of the guys at duragloss about this combo and he told me to wait 12 hours to layer products unless it was a hot day and then he said I could 101 in the morning and 105 in the evening.You should see some hazing with the 105.

Reddwarf
09-15-2007, 07:36 PM
I just read the product descriptions and they sound very similar. Hopefully Sparkie will see this thread. He is a Duragloss Master.

alban61
09-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Here is a quote from Al-53 on a post that he made to this thread

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/detailing-forum/4969-aio-pad.html#post68362

...let 101 haze up for 30 minutes..depending on weather..if hot and humid go 45 minutes...if cool and dry go 30 ....buff it off.....wait 30 to 60 minutes before doing 105...let 101 start to link up a bit..that way you will not be pushing it around with 105...if you have time and not in a hurry...do 105 the next day...it goes on fast and easy....but do by hand...little trick...do a very lite spray of AW if you have it on the foam applicator pad and then a dime size of 105...that primes the pad some and helps 105 spread far..just need to do AW on the pad once..the 105 will continue the priming..I mean a lite spray..not soaking it...lol....just to make it slightly damp....

Use very little 105 as it goes a long ways after the pad is primed...

let 105 sit 1 hour before buffing off...better results...longer if you want

Al

bogusjack
09-15-2007, 08:37 PM
the pad is the wolfgang german polish and wax applicator. it's big. I'm using the gray side. I just feel that when i use such a little amount of dg105 that it just goes into the pad and not much spreads on the car.

Pauly6401
09-15-2007, 09:00 PM
the pad is the wolfgang german polish and wax applicator. it's big. I'm using the gray side. I just feel that when i use such a little amount of dg105 that it just goes into the pad and not much spreads on the car.

That seems to be the case for me too with liquid sealants and waxes. One thing you can do to help is spray your pad with a couple shots of pad conditioner or quick detailing spray first to prime it. Or, put a circle around the applicator to spread the love the first time, and then you can use more surface of the pad and not just saturate the center of it.

richy
09-16-2007, 12:02 AM
I used my DG products the other day for hte 1st time. I called DG and asked them about the yellow foam pads, and Bill said they were great to use. I used them and had no issues. I preceded the 105 with 601 in my case.

Al-53
09-16-2007, 04:55 PM
When I do my truck with 105 I use close to a ounce of 105 doing it....I use a megs pad on a polishing pal handle...I have a baby medicine syringe I fill with 105....I give the pad a quick mist of AW to sorta prime it...I then add a nickel size dot on the pad and do a fender...as I work around the truck the pad get more polish in it so I use less as I go on...it spreads very easy and thin...if you can see it on the paint it is to thick...

When I do either 101 or the 501 marine...I do them in the morning....after buffing it off ..I sit the vehicle in the sun to get warmed up....then later that night I do the 105 ....

If your in a hurry I have done them a hour apart and seen no problems...but its best to wait 12 or do it the next day if time prevails...

I found that 101 and 501 set up a bit faster than 105 due to the cleaning solvents in 101 and 501.....sorta like Klasse AIO it sets up fast from the cleaners solvents flashing off.....the 105 is a combo of polymers and resins..so it takes longer to set up and is not a solventcy product like 101 and 501....

AL

supercharged
09-17-2007, 02:06 AM
Still haven't tried my sample of DG #101, but I love DG #105 so far!

bogusjack
09-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Thank you all for the advice. I finished up on sunday with the DG105. The car looks fantastic. I let the 105 haze up for about 45 minutes before buffing off. It came off real easy too. Loved it!