PDA

View Full Version : Expert advice needed

Pages : [1] 2

v1ru5879
08-12-2015, 11:23 PM
Just getting started in the detailing world and would eventually like to expand into a side business. After countless hours of reading I'm still not finding what I'm looking for. Hopefully you all will be kind enough to chime in.

I'm looking for the most "bang for your buck" items in the detailing world, I'm taking products cleaners, wash, wax, polish, towels, tools accessories. Basically anything detailing related I wanna know what you all feel is the most cost effective.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

raysanni
08-12-2015, 11:37 PM
Costco towels

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

dcjredline
08-12-2015, 11:38 PM
Meguiar's Detailer line.
Enough said.

There should be tons of threads on bang for buck, Im surprised you couldnt find them.

v1ru5879
08-12-2015, 11:43 PM
I found many different categories such as glass cleaner certain towels the best for clay lube but all scattered about. I think a one stop for a list of everything bang for buck would be a great sticky that covers everything from chemicals to towles spray bottles buckets you name it

raysanni
08-12-2015, 11:48 PM
L.A. awesome APC from dollar tree

v1ru5879
08-12-2015, 11:49 PM
I should also mention I'm not looking for absolute dirt cheap products, I'd like to also know about what you all feel are also quality as cost effective

raysanni
08-12-2015, 11:53 PM
Some pro detailers use simple green for their APC so if dirt cheap works for them i don't see why out wouldn't work for anyone else

v1ru5879
08-13-2015, 07:00 AM
Some pro detailers use simple green for their APC so if dirt cheap works for them i don't see why out wouldn't work for anyone else

Yeah there we go, I'm wanting more people to chime in like this. Dirt cheap but also works well! Thank you for chiming in

Evan.J
08-13-2015, 08:28 AM
My input is that Sonax products always get over looked for the most part. When using any Sonax product less is always more.

I buy Sonax Sonax Multistar and mix it 40:1 and the amount of power it has is better than any other APC I have used

Most people tend to over use most products.

Give Multistar a shot.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee289/thoryamaha919/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqe2oxynv.jpg (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/thoryamaha919/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqe2oxynv.jpg.html)
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee289/thoryamaha919/IMG_2808_zps7j4ivkce.jpg (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/thoryamaha919/media/IMG_2808_zps7j4ivkce.jpg.html)

v1ru5879
08-13-2015, 08:35 AM
I found the Maguires glass cleaner by the gallon is very bang for the buck at $18.49 for a gallon of concentrate you can't go wrong

ski2
08-13-2015, 08:45 AM
I found the Maguires glass cleaner by the gallon is very bang for the buck at $18.49 for a gallon of concentrate you can't go wrong

Don't overlook 3D 50:1 Glass Cleaner--for $7.99 you get enough concentrate to make over 6 gallons of cleaner. Even less expensive if you buy it by the gallon ($29 for enough concentrate to make 50 gallons of RTU cleaner)

In general 3D and HD products are well priced and work very well so you might want to take a look at those.

BTW--I don't think allot of detailers use Simple Green as their APC. While it's a great product you have to be careful with it as it doesn't do well with anything aluminum.

I don't think you're going to get many all inclusive responses as everyone has their own favorites and to compile a complete list work take a lengthy post, but if you dig around here on AG you'll find the information you're looking for.

v1ru5879
08-13-2015, 09:42 AM
Don't overlook 3D 50:1 Glass Cleaner--for $7.99 you get enough concentrate to make over 6 gallons of cleaner. Even less expensive if you buy it by the gallon ($29 for enough concentrate to make 50 gallons of RTU cleaner)

In general 3D and HD products are well priced and work very well so you might want to take a look at those.

BTW--I don't think allot of detailers use Simple Green as their APC. While it's a great product you have to be careful with it as it doesn't do well with anything aluminum.

I don't think you're going to get many all inclusive responses as everyone has their own favorites and to compile a complete list work take a lengthy post, but if you dig around here on AG you'll find the information you're looking for.
Thanks! I appreciate the input! I've been digging around every night which carries into the early morning hours ha-ha my amazon wish list has grown tremendously!

Recon 4th 502nd
08-13-2015, 10:47 AM
Just getting started in the detailing world and would eventually like to expand into a side business. After countless hours of reading I'm still not finding what I'm looking for. Hopefully you all will be kind enough to chime in.

I'm looking for the most "bang for your buck" items in the detailing world, I'm taking products cleaners, wash, wax, polish, towels, tools accessories. Basically anything detailing related I wanna know what you all feel is the most cost effective.

I'm sorta in the same boat as you except for the "side business"...I may do 4-8 cars spring/summer besides taking care of my DD and "somewhat" "Garage Queen".

You can get into some serious cash very quickly, so I hear Ya :xyxthumbs: However, it's often "you get what you pay for" However, However...there are some "Diamonds in the Ruff":

This is what I have and/or will Have:

Foam Gun: Gilmour
Get a Quality Hose or you'll regret it.
Gilmour Hose Nozzle: Rinse, ect ( Get the Quick Disconnects)
DP Extreme and Maxi Suds II
Walmart 5G Buckets (2 bucks/ea I think)
Grit Guards....just pay it :)
Wheel Woolies...just pay it :)
Many Spray Bottles with the Grey Chemical-Resistant Spray Heads, everyone carries them.

Interior Cleaner: Inner Clean (Chemical Guys)

Rubber Seals: 1Z Gummi Pflege Stift...I like saying it.
Trim: 1Z Deep Plastic Cleaner
Metal Polish: Optimum
Glass: Stoners
Clay: Nanoskin (Mitt, Sponge)...just pay it.

Surprisingly, the most important item IMHO is: QUALITY Micro-Fiber Towels!!!!! Anything that is between your Hand and the Paint better be QUALITY or you'll RUE THE DAY....

Eagle Edgeless from the Rag Company for me. However, I'm a MF Towel Addict, so Microfiber Madness (Yellow Fellows (polishes/compounds), Crazy Piles, and Incredimett)...Uber "take out a mortgage" Expensive!!!

I do alot of Waterless Washes, So...

Megs D114: first ballot Detailing Hall of Fame and CHEAP!! Great as a: Clay Lube, Rinseless, Wheel/Tire Cleaner, IPA Replace, depending on Dilution Ratio.

Spray Wax/Sealant: Meg's D-156....AG has a 2 Gallon Deal: Just Do It!!

Sealant: Menzerna Power Lock.

Wax/Sealant: Just get some Collonite #845 and end it !!!! :dblthumb2:

Polisher: GG 6"

Foam Pads: LC HT's/Meg's/Buff and Shine. All are expensive imho. But this is between your hand and the paint !!! (See: above)

Be patient and have all your items in a wish list/cart and when you see 20% Off "No Exclusions".... FIRE FOR EFFECT, stay low SQUEEZE and Hold Down TRIGGER (Full Auto) and Launch Bullets lol and Bring Down the Rain!!!
Pop on AG once a Day (if possible) and see if they have any "STEALS" like the Pinnacle Souveran @ $31.99 fiasco a few weeks back.

Polishes/Compounds (Remember "between your hand" above, don't skimp here): HD Polish/CarPro Reflect/Optimum Hyper Spray/Shine Supply Classic on and on. Haven't settled just yet on the final 3 in my arsenal.

I'm searching for a quality compound but I won't be needing much.

Review these threads intermittently for product reviews and "Pro-Speak"...you'll be able to tell who these people are :props: , for little tips and tricks and PM them if you have a specific question; Most are more than willing to help.

Probably forgot some stuff but....hope it helps

v1ru5879
08-13-2015, 07:57 PM
I'm sorta in the same boat as you except for the "side business"...I may do 4-8 cars spring/summer besides taking care of my DD and "somewhat" "Garage Queen".

You can get into some serious cash very quickly, so I hear Ya :xyxthumbs: However, it's often "you get what you pay for" However, However...there are some "Diamonds in the Ruff":

This is what I have and/or will Have:

Foam Gun: Gilmour
Get a Quality Hose or you'll regret it.
Gilmour Hose Nozzle: Rinse, ect ( Get the Quick Disconnects)
DP Extreme and Maxi Suds II
Walmart 5G Buckets (2 bucks/ea I think)
Grit Guards....just pay it :)
Wheel Woolies...just pay it :)
Many Spray Bottles with the Grey Chemical-Resistant Spray Heads, everyone carries them.

Interior Cleaner: Inner Clean (Chemical Guys)

Rubber Seals: 1Z Gummi Pflege Stift...I like saying it.
Trim: 1Z Deep Plastic Cleaner
Metal Polish: Optimum
Glass: Stoners
Clay: Nanoskin (Mitt, Sponge)...just pay it.

Surprisingly, the most important item IMHO is: QUALITY Micro-Fiber Towels!!!!! Anything that is between your Hand and the Paint better be QUALITY or you'll RUE THE DAY....

Eagle Edgeless from the Rag Company for me. However, I'm a MF Towel Addict, so Microfiber Madness (Yellow Fellows (polishes/compounds), Crazy Piles, and Incredimett)...Uber "take out a mortgage" Expensive!!!

I do alot of Waterless Washes, So...

Megs D114: first ballot Detailing Hall of Fame and CHEAP!! Great as a: Clay Lube, Rinseless, Wheel/Tire Cleaner, IPA Replace, depending on Dilution Ratio.

Spray Wax/Sealant: Meg's D-156....AG has a 2 Gallon Deal: Just Do It!!

Sealant: Menzerna Power Lock.

Wax/Sealant: Just get some Collonite #845 and end it !!!! :dblthumb2:

Polisher: GG 6"

Foam Pads: LC HT's/Meg's/Buff and Shine. All are expensive imho. But this is between your hand and the paint !!! (See: above)

Be patient and have all your items in a wish list/cart and when you see 20% Off "No Exclusions".... FIRE FOR EFFECT, stay low SQUEEZE and Hold Down TRIGGER (Full Auto) and Launch Bullets lol and Bring Down the Rain!!!
Pop on AG once a Day (if possible) and see if they have any "STEALS" like the Pinnacle Souveran @ $31.99 fiasco a few weeks back.

Polishes/Compounds (Remember "between your hand" above, don't skimp here): HD Polish/CarPro Reflect/Optimum Hyper Spray/Shine Supply Classic on and on. Haven't settled just yet on the final 3 in my arsenal.

I'm searching for a quality compound but I won't be needing much.

Review these threads intermittently for product reviews and "Pro-Speak"...you'll be able to tell who these people are [emoji14]rops: , for little tips and tricks and PM them if you have a specific question; Most are more than willing to help.

Probably forgot some stuff but....hope it helps
Thanks a million! Exactly what I was looking for everyone to chime in so now that I have a good general idea to get started what is recommend care for a DD? I know this isn't going to be a show car or anything close to that so I'm thinking I could get away with a full exterior correction n seal maybe once a year or so. I did a very thorough wash today and the entire care it swirled unfortunately, but on the bright side the car is white so it seems to hide well. The car also has some vinyls so I know I will have to be careful around those if I decide to correct n polish along with waxing and sealing. Any advice on caring for a DD is appreciated
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/13/d96711d9618417d226bf3dd7d5cfb2cd.jpg

v1ru5879
08-16-2015, 06:13 PM
Bump
Anyone have some input on what products to absolutely avoid?