PDA

View Full Version : Storing Products

Pages : [1] 2

Ricorocks
08-12-2015, 01:12 PM
When I get a new product, I read the label, & follow all the instructions. I read the label on Meg. spray wax & found NO special considerations. I stored this in my garage, along with other Meg products. In the case of the spray wax heat caused the product to separate, & become junk. Meg. was happy to replace the single product. I then went & checked the other products, I believe 3 - 4 other products, were bad, at this point Meg balked at replacement. There customer service advised, keeping all "Meg" products, at room temp., or house temp. Keep in mind a garage is not typically a conditioned space. My argument about, storage & labels feel on deaf ears. After that enlightenment, about non label storage conditions, I then made a space in the house for storage.

Routinely now I shake the bottles or turn them upside down, little mixing, I also keep a thermometer, in the closet where stored.

Next I started experimenting with other mfg's products, and surprise, I don't think any mfg. puts storage instructions on there label..

I would suggest 'sans' storage instructions, you should call the company & ask how should this be stored?

Silly me I thought well this is a car care product so naturally it, should be in the garage.

TFTADetail
08-12-2015, 04:28 PM
I typically store everything at room temperature. Heck, it likely sat in that type climate before you ever purchased it.

Ricorocks
08-12-2015, 04:45 PM
I understand! That being the case, there should be a warning, so as it's stored the same way. Not giving a proper storage, leads one to believe (as i did), that it's does not matter.

If it's not heat etc sensitive, fine nothing on the label.

Should it be sensitive, then put it on the label.

I called CG and asked, they claim products are ok in the garage. However CG told me to store "Black" in the fridge, those instructions not on the label. How would you know???????

Or I followed the instructions exactly, now it's junk. Mfg says well you should have stored it blah blah blah, well if you told me I would have

Can you imagine, if no special instructions were placed on medicine?

custmsprty
08-12-2015, 04:59 PM
Yeah it's about 130+ in my garage right now, you'd probably not survive a few hours if locked in it. I agree with you 100%. That being said down here in Fla. I always bring my stuff inside in April and back to the garage in November. High end waxes always stay in the house.

Mask
08-12-2015, 06:15 PM
Always store them inside house, find somewhere cool :D

dlc95
08-12-2015, 06:20 PM
I keep my reserve products in the zip lock bags, in sealed containers in the basement. Everything else stays in a shelf in my drum room for easy access. I don't keep chemicals in the garage.

My better half just bought a condo, and I'll be storing my equipment in the garage, but plan on reserving a little space to store the liquid stuff.

Ricorocks
08-12-2015, 06:47 PM
You Guys know this stuff, I found out the hard way. My intent was a heads ups for, noobs so they don't make the same mistake as I did. Just something that gets VERY little mention, & can take a bite out of your wallet, while doing what the label says.

Now I've cleared out a closet spare bedroom, visited the 'Container Store' put a wall mounted rack(s) up. Perhaps somewhat OCD here (I think a few here are like that), but periodically shake em up, & turn the upside down, keep it all mixed up, or don't ask me to shuffle the cards, as it might take awhile.:xyxthumbs:

RedXray
08-12-2015, 06:57 PM
I use a $10 Acurite to monitor the temp/humidity conditions where I store my products in the garage. Installing the mini split ac/heat was the best thing by far I've done for the garage.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/RedXray/IMG_3688.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/RedXray/IMG_3699.jpg

SeanChav
08-12-2015, 07:22 PM
I should move all my stuff into the house then.... I always wondered about this topic though

MIsnowman
08-12-2015, 07:29 PM
Perhaps if you had reported the issues with all of your products at once Megs would've been more willing to replace all of them. Either way they should have, but by reporting one and then the others once they replaced the first, it kinda makes it look like you were testing the water with the first one. I'm not saying it was your fault or that this is what you were doing, but I think it would've been better to check all of your products and then report the issues with them.

dcjredline
08-12-2015, 08:34 PM
Basement here.

DaveT435
08-12-2015, 09:28 PM
I understand! That being the case, there should be a warning, so as it's stored the same way. Not giving a proper storage, leads one to believe (as i did), that it's does not matter.

If it's not heat etc sensitive, fine nothing on the label.

Should it be sensitive, then put it on the label.

I called CG and asked, they claim products are ok in the garage. However CG told me to store "Black" in the fridge, those instructions not on the label. How would you know???????

Or I followed the instructions exactly, now it's junk. Mfg says well you should have stored it blah blah blah, well if you told me I would have

Can you imagine, if no special instructions were placed on medicine?

I agree, manufacturers should put proper storage temperatures on the container. I lost about 3/4 of a Qt. of Optimum Finishing Polish to the heat.

SeanChav
08-12-2015, 09:50 PM
I just called my wife and had her box up my glazes, wax, Polish and sealants lol don't think they've gone bad though yet cuz I shake them at least once a day cuz I'm weird like that

expdetailing
08-12-2015, 09:53 PM
Not too long ago, I purchase two of Optimum's polishes second hand from a fellow who lived in MA. Both products were separated to the point that no amount of shaking and mixing was ever going to return those polishes back to usable form.
More importantly, the fellow who sold them to me did not believe me. He must of not had them that long, it seems. They were probably good when he used them, then by the time I received them, they were already bad.

custmsprty
08-12-2015, 09:58 PM
Not too long ago, I purchase two of Optimum's polishes second hand from a fellow who lived in MA. Both products were separated to the point that no amount of shaking and mixing was ever going to return those polishes back to usable form.
More importantly, the fellow who sold them to me did not believe me. He must of not had them that long, it seems. They were probably good when he used them, then by the time I received them, they were already bad.

I had the same issue with one of their polishes and it was always stored inside. Bought it on bogo, the one I opened had that stupid clip the tip off and plug it with a rep cap, it dried out quickly. The other bottle went bad in no time. Absolutely the worst packaged product I have ever bought. 95% of it went in the garbage. It was Optimum Poli Seal. It went from semi thick to separated to totally like water.