PDA

View Full Version : Drying a coated car??!

Hydrix Detail
08-12-2015, 01:00 AM
I have searched the forum for an answer to this question, if this has already been answered please direct me there. Thanks!

How do you guys dry a coated car?
I find that most coatings are so hydrophobic that the water slides right off and even sometimes I wipe a dry microfiber on dry paint. The water doesn't "absorb" into the paint like it seems it does without a coating, the water tends to either sit and streak, or dry so quickly I am afraid I am doing damage by drying.

My solution has been either a spray detailer or 50% distilled water and 50% alcohol sprayed into a MF towel, but I'm not sure that's the best or safest solution. it's an extra step which can Ben time consuming.

What do you guys do?
Thanks for the help!

fly07sti
08-12-2015, 01:06 AM
I use a Metro sidekick to blast the little bit of left over water away. If you are looking for a drying aid that won't alter the coating's characteristics, get some meguiars d114 and dilute 1:256

Ebg18t
08-12-2015, 05:10 AM
Damp waffle weave MF towel.

Mike lambert
08-12-2015, 06:54 AM
1 damp drying towel followed by a dry towel. You can use whatever detailer is recommended by whatever coating you have as a drying aid. Check out Kamikaze overcoat also, designed to be used over coatings for that purpose also.

Audios S6
08-12-2015, 07:00 AM
I blow dry, then blot any remaining water with a waffle weave. Flood/sheeting method works as well but uses a lot of water, again follow-up by blotting.

DaveT435
08-12-2015, 07:19 AM
I lay my large waffle weave over a section make sure it's completely flat then remove. Water is gone. Sometimes I use a leaf blower to dry it.

TroyScherer
08-12-2015, 08:45 AM
I use the sheeting method to remove most the water from the vehicle. Then a MasterBlaster is your friend. It makes short work of drying a car and blowing out your nooks and crannies.

WaxMaster1
08-12-2015, 08:50 AM
I use a Metro sidekick to blast the little bit of left over water away.

I have the little sidekick too. Bought it for my motorcycles and love it for the autos.

dcjredline
08-12-2015, 08:54 AM
As others have said. I sheet water then vac&blo followed by a damp WW towel for the runs.

Hydrix Detail
08-16-2015, 09:09 PM
I use a Metro sidekick to blast the little bit of left over water away. If you are looking for a drying aid that won't alter the coating's characteristics, get some meguiars d114 and dilute 1:256

Great idea!
Never thought of that one.

44Doug88
08-16-2015, 10:31 PM

I use my leaf blower. I wonder how the force of the air compares to the force of air from the Metro sidekick?

fly07sti
08-17-2015, 12:28 AM
I use my leaf blower. I wonder how the force of the air compares to the force of air from the Metro sidekick?

I have used mini and full size leaf blowers in the past before I got my Metro. The metro focuses the air very well and it also some how slightly warms it. It's much easier to maneuver and is a lot quieter. Which for me is good, because I like to wash at dawn.