PDA

View Full Version : Nu Finish car polish

Pages : [1] 2

MA5177
08-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Total noob here, I joined this forum and started reading. Wow what an eye opener as I have never really known how to take care of a cars finish.

I have been learning, just bought a new car and waxed it with meguiars carnuba. I have a work truck that's a year old and used some Nu Finish on it and it seemed to work pretty good, question is... Is this stuff any good or is it a joke?

I'm about to work on my daughters scion that haven't been waxed in a while, I have ordered a med clay bar and bought a DA polisher from HF 6".

My plan is to wash, clay with detailed as lube. Then polish but not sure what level of meguiars to use, I have a otter of #3 machine glaze that's a level 1. Was thinking of using a swirl remover level 4??

Then follow it up with MEGUIARS ultimate sealant sound ok?

Thanks, Mike

bill walsh
08-11-2015, 12:13 PM
you might wana use a cleaner wax first

Desertnate
08-11-2015, 12:17 PM
Since this is your maiden voyage with the DA polisher, I'd recommend you try out Meguiars Ultimate Compound and/or Ultimate Polish.

Both products are inexpensive, can be found everywhere, are easy to work with, and produce very good results.

Having both on hand will give you the flexibility to handle just about any situation. I'd start with the polish and see where it gets you.

Mike Phillips
08-11-2015, 12:32 PM
I have a work truck that's a year old and used some Nu Finish on it and it seemed to work pretty good, question is... Is this stuff any good or is it a joke?

Nu Finish, like most (not all but most), retail car waxes is a cleaner/wax. Some people like to use the term AIO for the term cleaner/wax but they are 100 percent interchangeable as they mean the exact same thing.

A cleaner/wax will,

Clean
Polish
Protect
In one step. I used Nu Finish when I was a kid in high school and if it's all you know and all you have an you're rubbing it on some neglected paint you'll see an improvement but there are much better cleaner/waxes on the market.

For products like these I always give them the,

Smell Test

In most cases you'll smell a strong solvent oder which is the V.O.C.s or the volatile organic compounds and this is just a sign they are using inexpensive solvents as carrying agents or to keep the other products in suspension.

Again, nothing wrong with using inexpensive solvents but there are higher quality products on the market that simply work better and also smell better.

I cover the topic of cleaner/waxes in depth in this article... including the retail marketing aspect as well as the Joe Consumer factor.

The Difference Between a Cleaner/Wax and a Finishing Wax (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-difference-between-cleaner-wax-finishing-wax.html)

Subtitle: How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

:)

FUNX650
08-11-2015, 12:43 PM
:welcome: ...to AGO!

I have a work truck that's a year old and used some
Nu Finish on it and it seemed
to work pretty good, question is...
Is this stuff any good or is it a joke?

NuFinish...a joke?

No...not to me!
In fact, (IMHO):
NuFinish is what
Teddy Roosevelt would say,
In the vernacular of his day:
Bully!

Bob

kevin_1981
08-11-2015, 12:59 PM
Since this is your maiden voyage with the DA polisher, I'd recommend you try out Meguiars Ultimate Compound and/or Ultimate Polish.

Both products are inexpensive, can be found everywhere, are easy to work with, and produce very good results.

Having both on hand will give you the flexibility to handle just about any situation. I'd start with the polish and see where it gets you.

I agree with the above. Scions have paint thats pretty easy to work with. I usually used ultimate polish with a green pad. Wont get rid of all RIDS, but does a good job of getting gloss, and minimizing swirls.

glfnaz
08-11-2015, 01:03 PM
Problem with Nu Finish is that it dries white and you'll see it as a white line between paint and trim. As I remember it also stains black trim that is difficult to get off. I'd suggest using a sealant that dries clear and doesn't stain trim: Collinite, Duragloss, or Meguiars, Optimum Spray wax, Prima Hydro Max, are examples and there are many more.

MA5177
08-11-2015, 01:26 PM
Thanks everyone, I bought this Nu finish for another reason and decided to try it on my work truck (2015chevy). It worked ok but ya it leaves white marks etc.

In the ammo reloading world, guys swear by adding a capful of it to their walnut tumbling media for cleaning brass casings. It does work.

As to my upcoming scion project I really need some help here... I don't want to mess it up so I want to use simple products like meguiars etc.

I plan to clay bar, then not sure what to use next. The paint is in pretty good shape, previous owner seemed to take good care of it but it hasn't been touched by us (2 years).

I think it needs polishing and a good sealant, also the roof is all glass, I know I can clay it but should it be polished too?

dlc95
08-11-2015, 01:41 PM
If you have the Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover, you could try that, and apply the Ultimate Wax over it. The #3 is basically a glaze, which doesn't remove the imperfections, but rather covers them up. #9 does a little of both.

If that isn't meting your expextations, maybe try the Ultimate Compound.

VISITOR
08-11-2015, 03:01 PM
megs white wax and then ultimate quik wax every/other week...

Meguiars White Wax (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-white-wax.html)
Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-spray-wax.html)

glfnaz
08-11-2015, 04:11 PM
The meguiars Ultimate Line is at most every auto parts store.

The ultimate compound and polish are good, The ultimate liquid wax is simple to use, dries clear, won't stain trim. Use it on glass too. Then Ultimate Quick wax for weekend touch ups.
I don't use all of the above as I have my own favorites, but they are darn good products and easily available.

MA5177
08-11-2015, 04:47 PM
The meguiars Ultimate Line is at most every auto parts store.

The ultimate compound and polish are good, The ultimate liquid wax is simple to use, dries clear, won't stain trim. Use it on glass too. Then Ultimate Quick wax for weekend touch ups.
I don't use all of the above as I have my own favorites, but they are darn good products and easily available.

Thanks, I just picked up a bottle of intimate Polish,ultimate wax and some ultimate spray and ultimate quick detailer.

This should do me to take care of my 3 cars, I also bought a clay bar.

Loach
08-11-2015, 06:17 PM
I tested out the paste version of Nu Finish recently, I couldn't stand the smell and like Mike said above, it's an all in one type product. It's not a fun product to work with at all in my opinion. Enjoy the Meguiar's Ultimate line of products, they are great!

KB in MD
08-12-2015, 06:39 AM
Thanks, I just picked up a bottle of intimate Polish,ultimate wax and some ultimate spray and ultimate quick detailer.

This should do me to take care of my 3 cars, I also bought a clay bar.

Which version of UW?
IIRC, the paste can stain black trim if left on to long, the liquid does not stain trim

MA5177
08-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Which version of UW?
IIRC, the paste can stain black trim if left on to long, the liquid does not stain trim

I bought the liquid, came with a towel too. $25