PDA

View Full Version : Clear Bra line

LSNAutoDetailing
08-10-2015, 01:58 PM
Q for you all. My Mustang has clear bra on the nose. After a recent compounding and polishing, it left some buildup in the seam of where the clear bra meets the paint.

natural inkling is to grab microfiber, use finger and try to etch it out carefully. I don't like that idea for two reasons, one it didn't work on a test spot and two my finger slipped and left a little scratch in the clear bra.

What do you guys suggest for getting that irritating buildup off where the clearbra edge meets the paint.

Thanks in advance!

Rsurfer
08-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Can't help you much except what you were doing. Next time run a tape line over the bra line.

Matt@Revive
08-10-2015, 02:33 PM
soak with quick detailer and remove with microfiber, or pressure washer

FUNX650
08-10-2015, 02:46 PM
•Q-Tips wetted with this (or similar product):

Griot's Garage Dried-On Wax Remover, remove dried wax, Griots Garage Wax Remover (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-wax-remover.html)

•Remove the resulting residue with a MF-towel...
By using: wiping-away-from-PPF/seams motions.

Bob

Audios S6
08-10-2015, 03:15 PM
You can lay a towel soaked in QD or IPA over the area to soften the compound, then remove with a q-tip. Take care with any chemical as can affect the adhesive of the clearbra.

The alternative is using a toothpick to scrape at the edge gently to remove the residue. Also need to be very careful not to lift the clearbra.

In the future, get some 3M vinyl tape, 1/4" or 3/8" wide to tape the seem. I also use this tape on any raised body line and on the trailing edge of the hood. AG sells this tape, it's not cheap so be smart about where you use this versus regular tape.

shagnat
08-11-2015, 08:01 AM
Maybe an APC or degreaser would work. I just clayed my car and have a few areas with the clear protection in a few areas....... just not the nose, and have left clay residue at the edges just like you're describing. I haven't tried removing them yet, but, cannot stand seeing that blue coloring where the protection ends and the regular paint begins. I may try Goo Gone along with the other items I just mentioned. I'll let ya' know what works, or doesn't work. LOL

Audios S6
08-11-2015, 05:52 PM
I just clayed my car and have a few areas with the clear protection in a few areas....... just not the nose, and have left clay residue at the edges just like you're describing.

For all members out there, only clay from the clearbra side towards the paint to avoid this problem. Same goes for any clay alternative as well.

Mike lambert
08-11-2015, 05:59 PM
Wrap a microfiber towel around a tongue depressor soaked with detailer, takes it right away and will not lift the film. You can get a box of them cheap online, they work great for a lot of things

LSNAutoDetailing
08-11-2015, 10:05 PM
I thought of one other product, Megs D114. It is supposed to remove wax and compound build up. I'll try the above techniques, but instead of QD, I'll soak the MF in D114.... Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how it goes!

shagnat
08-19-2015, 03:30 PM
For all members out there, only clay from the clearbra side towards the paint to avoid this problem. Same goes for any clay alternative as well.
Doh !!! Why didn't I think of that?! :nomore::iagree: