PDA

View Full Version : Another trophy, thanks to Mike Phillips & AGO members!

BillyJack
08-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Another trophy, thanks to Mike Phillips & AGO members!

Back in 2009, I started searching the internet for help restoring the original single-stage lacquer of my 1987 El Camino. I discovered Mike Phillips' superb article on SS paint restoration, which eventually led me to Autogeek Online and Meguiars Online.

I was so pleased with the transformation using Mike's process, that I actually had the nerve to enter my aged but rehabbed "survivor" in an annual charity benefit All-Chevy judged show, hosted by the local Corvette Club.

The picture shows the results;

Six entries, six trophies, including four firsts, one second and one third.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/1987_El_Camino_First_Place_Winner.jpg

I've been involved in the retail Automobile business for over 30 years, so I'm no stranger to detailing, but what I've learned here over the years is far removed from the high-production processes I'm familiar with.

Once again, a special thanks to Mike for sharing his knowledge with us, and thanks to all the members here who willingly share their experience.

Bill

Pats300zx
08-10-2015, 12:33 PM
Awesome job !!! Congrats on the wins

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-11-2015, 03:11 AM
Outstanding Bill! Congrats!

Thanks for sharing.

Souldetailer
08-11-2015, 06:05 AM
Car looks great. So do the trophies. It must feel great that your hard work is appreciated. Time to start building that trophy case, I believe you'll be adding to that collection. Good job:dblthumb2:

Peace,

Darrin

Mask
08-11-2015, 06:49 AM
Awesome ride!!!
Congrats :)

BillE
08-11-2015, 06:58 AM
:applause: :wave: :applause:

Congratulations (again) Bill!

Bill

Mike Phillips
08-11-2015, 07:35 AM
Congratulations Bill!

Thank you for sharing your car, wins and trophies with our forum.

I loved your picture and I hope you don't mind but I downloaded it, rotated it a few degrees to give it a more aggressive stance, cropped out the fluff, resized it to 800 pixels wide and then uploaded it into your free gallery here on AGO.

Took me less than a minute.

Then inserted it into your original post. Here's the link to the original for comparison.

Original Picture (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/1987_El_Camino_First_Place_WinnerO.jpg)

Besides good product and technique, the results you've achieved also come from your own passion for the craft.

The introduction of my first how to book (http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-create-a-show-car-shine-book.html) has a quote by me that I've been saying and typing for over 20 years now.

For anyone that has a copy of my book, the below is from page 2

Polishing paint is an art form
To achieve a flawless finish, you need to know a lot more than what the directions on the label of a can or bottle of wax can tell you. Like the saying, wax-on, wax-off from the movie The Karate Kid, there's more to it than simply wiping wax on and off.

You need to combine thee knowledge and experience, as well a the right products and tools with the human elements of care and passion.

You need too genuinely care about what you're doing and have a passion for the craft. When all these things come together, polishing paint becomes an art form as you truly create a work of art.

As your passion and your trophies vindicate.

It's always interesting how many people contact me from around the United States and sometimes the world telling me their story about a car they own with the original single stage paint and upon researching how to restore the paint they find my article and that's how they come about contacting me.

Just yesterday, a lady in Texas, her name is Frann, called me and told me her story about her car, a 1978 Corvette with the original blue single stage paint.

She has read my article, ordered all her supplies from Autogeek and because she's nervous about attempting to rub this antique paint job out using the process I outline in my article she called me with questions and reassurance.

I answered her questions, put her fears to rest and sometime in the near future we're all going to see the before and after pictures of her results.

To me this is one of the most rewarding aspects of my career in this industry, helping others to save the original paint on their classic cars.

For anyone reading this into the future that is interested in the article, here's the link....

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html)

And "yes" this is the same technique I used to restore the paint on Wayne Carini's 1953 Hudson Hornet and this picture I took of Wayne after he gave the paint on this car he'd been chasing for over 40 years the final wipe tell it all.

Wayne Carini from Chasing Classic Cars and one of his prized possessions, an all original 1953 Hudson Hornet with the original single stage lacquer paint. http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1852/Mike_Phillips_Wayne_Carini_006.jpg

Congratulations Bill and thank you for your trust and for also sharing this article with so many other people that like you, have a classic car with the original paint and want to restore and preserve the original paint and avoid at all costs having to repaint.

:dblthumb2: :dblthumb2: :dblthumb2:

p.s.

As of right now, this article has 1/3 million views and almost 200 replies. Uncanny considering how most people own, drive and detail a "new" car.

:)