PDA

View Full Version : Mirror like finish with wool pad and M105 - Do I even need to polish??

bugsysiegals
08-10-2015, 08:11 AM
I'm selling my Acura TL and decided to touch up some chips, wetsand, etc. After I received my Meguiars kit the other week I finally got to use it this weekend! :)

I used the Meguiars Solo Wool Heavy Cutting pad and M105 with my new Dewalt rotary. I ran the buffer at 800-1000 speed and it took ~5 hours to complete the entire job. I figured this speed would prevent any substantial heat / paint burn and give me time to do a good job removing scratches. I tried not to use much if any pressure and let the pad and cream do the work.

After finishing, I washed the Acura and dried it. OMG ... it looks like a mirror!! At this point I'm wondering whether I even need to use the polishing pad with M205 or #21 synthetic mirror glaze. I read that with the M105 if you go slow you can actually end up with a polished mirror glaze but certainly wasn't expecting that with Wool pad. Perhaps I need to look at the paint under different light to see if fine scratches exist but outside in the sun it looked beautiful.

Thoughts??

DaveT435
08-10-2015, 08:19 AM
Do a test spot with the 205 and polishing pad and see if you think the difference is worth the amount of work. On Acura paint I would think you will see a big difference. Definitely pull it out in the sunlight and take a good look at it.

bugsysiegals
08-10-2015, 09:39 AM
Ok, if it can get better than what it already looks like that would be very impressive! I'll try half a hood and 1 door so I can compare. Thanks.

AliusPrime
08-10-2015, 10:22 AM
105 has tons of fillers in it. Try wiping it down with rubbing alcohol to see the final results before you decide it it is done.

Mike Phillips
08-10-2015, 10:39 AM
At a minimum, wash the car with normal car wash soap and dry it and then inspect the panels in full overhead bright sunlight.

M105 uses top notch abrasive technology, any holograms left in the paint will primarily come from the fibers of the wool pad.

One thing I show in my classes when using a wool pad on a rotary buffer is to clean your wool pad often and using a steel pad cleaning spur and then after wiping all residue off the panel re-buff using the same wool pad and your compound only this time use less downward pressure on the rotary buffer, a gentle touch and your best skill and you can leave very light or shallow holograms that will buff out easy with a follow-up step using foam.

On black paint, following your process you would see holograms. I would guarantee it.

On your car's silver/gray metallic paint it will be harder to see especially without bright, overhead sunlight.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=36471&d=1439212270

It's not that the holograms are not there, it's just harder to see them on light colored cars and especially light colored metallic paints.

Of course, considering most people don't know the difference between a squirrel and a swirl, you could slap a coat of wax on her and sell her just like she is and most any buyer would be happy.

Unless they hang out on this forum.

:D

bugsysiegals
08-11-2015, 08:48 AM
Thanks for all the info. I used to detail cars at CarMax many years ago. I learned the hard way what happens when using high speed on the buffer (burned a few cars) and applying pressure (swirls/holograms and also burned paint). :(

Back then we were rushed but since I had plenty of time, I did not apply pressure, let the buffer float with it's own weight, kept the speed on low, and took plenty of time working each area until I was happy with it. I also frequently cleaned the pad with the spur. I'm guessing this is why the first pass turned out so well; however, I was shocked because I never recall wool pads leaving a finish I'd not have to polish afterwards.

You're probably right, the color of the car and/or the filler is still in the scratches and makes it difficult to notice them. I would bet there are many micro scratches, even though I didn't see them at first glance. I'll have a second look and see if I can notice any small wool marks but will polish with M205 and foam pad to finish it properly.

Would you recommend using the synthetic cream to finalize given the color and difficulty of noticing imperfections? What about wax, can I wax immediately or let the buyer know they should wax in a month or two?

Mike Phillips
08-11-2015, 09:46 AM
Would you recommend using the synthetic cream to finalize given the color and difficulty of noticing imperfections?

What about wax, can I wax immediately or let the buyer know they should wax in a month or two?

Either or. To be honest, as long as you use a quality brand name car wax or synthetic paint sealant and seal the paint after you're done wit all the compounding and polishing it's going to look great.

IF there are hologram swirls the only way your potential buyer is going to see them is if the car is parked outside in direct, overhead bright sunlight and even then, the average Joe or Joanne Consumer doesn't even know what holograms are.

If you haven't read my article below, take a moment, it's good for a laugh but it's also very true.

The difference between a swirl and squirrel (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23142-difference-between-swirl-squirrel.html)

Good luck selling you're car...

:)