PDA

View Full Version : How do you define yourself?

LSNAutoDetailing
08-10-2015, 07:12 AM
I found that it's important to define my business to potential customers. Being a part-time business, using word-of-mouth-only, I can be discerning about who I take and not take.

My interests lie highly in those customers that love their cars and want to maintain them but do not have the time to invest in product, material, learning and the actual doing of the work in maintaining their cars, but want a nice looking vehicle.

The customer I find it tough to define my business too is the person who approaches me with a 10 - 15 year old car, where the only water it's ever seen is rain, and the interior looks equally as bad... stains, pet stains and areas of carpet disintegrating due to some mold or fungus. It's not a job I really would want to take, it's not in line with my business and the amount of money, time and product that would have to be used on this car actually would put me in the red.

I usually quote my package price, which usually shocks them, and then I go onto say my business model is really geared towards high-line cars/trucks.

For the pro's on this forum, I see your pic's of the high-line cars you work on. How do you handle that vehicle / customer where it's just too far gone and you know nothing you can do will bring it back? (exterior - body damage, rust, wheels that look like they've bounced off the curb 1000 times, deep scratches, interiors where it looks like a battle zone, rot fungus, feces stains, etc...). What do you say to the person? Key being, to refuse the job, but not offend the owner.

How do you define your business to these owners?

sdguy55
08-10-2015, 07:22 AM
I found that it's important to define my business to potential customers. Being a part-time business, using word-of-mouth-only, I can be discerning about who I take and not take.

My interests lie highly in those customers that love their cars and want to maintain them but do not have the time to invest in product, material, learning and the actual doing of the work in maintaining their cars, but want a nice looking vehicle.

The customer I find it tough to define my business too is the person who approaches me with a 10 - 15 year old car, where the only water it's ever seen is rain, and the interior looks equally as bad... stains, pet stains and areas of carpet disintegrating due to some mold or fungus. It's not a job I really would want to take, it's not in line with my business and the amount of money, time and product that would have to be used on this car actually would put me in the red.

I usually quote my package price, which usually shocks them, and then I go onto say my business model is really geared towards high-line cars/trucks.

For the pro's on this forum, I see your pic's of the high-line cars you work on. How do you handle that vehicle / customer where it's just too far gone and you know nothing you can do will bring it back? (exterior - body damage, rust, wheels that look like they've bounced off the curb 1000 times, deep scratches, interiors where it looks like a battle zone, rot fungus, feces stains, etc...). What do you say to the person?

How do you define your business to these owners?
I think when your first starting off you take what you can get.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Audios S6
08-10-2015, 07:42 AM
I guess that I'm lucky I work mostly with car clubs. I have gotten some trashed cars but the owner knows it, and I set the expectation pretty low on those cars. I'm also fortunate that this defines my business for me, I do high-end work for mostly euro imports. Although occasionally someone asks if I will replace their carpet, paint a bumper or tint their windows.

Doing those nasty jobs does provide good experience. You may get a 25 year old rolls royce someday that needs some major TLC after sitting in a garage and being home to mice.

If you really don't want the work, then I don't think you are far off of what you need to say; just being polite about it and providing an alternative should go a long way to having them walk out denied, but OK with it. I'd tell them the type of work you focus on: Scratch and swirl removal from higher end vehicles? Quote them high and let them know that you don't think you can perform the work to your or their satisfaction for a reasonable price. Perhaps it's just too many hours at your premium hourly rate. They may be better off at the production shop down the road.

FUNX650
08-10-2015, 08:28 AM
Have you taken the time to really read
what you said in your OP?

I did. :wow:

After reading your OP several times I've come to
the conclusion that you are what I consider a snob:
A detailing snob, no less...a high-line cars/trucks snob
(whatever high-line is supposed to mean).

And:
Being that a snob can't be out-snobbed...

I'm not going to stoop to your level to try to
come up with another way (definition) on how
to keep "The Unwanted" (perhaps "The Un-annoited")
away from you and your type of detailing business.

Just a passing question...(rhetorically, as it were):

•Isn't what you are currently saying to those
"unwanted customers":

I found that it's important to define my business to potential customer...

•more than enough:
"Superiority Complexing Flexing"
for the word-of-mouth advertising system
to successfully spread your gospel?

•Surely you won't be confronted with:
"The Unwanted"...much longer.

Bob

LSNAutoDetailing
08-10-2015, 09:06 AM
That's the point Bob, for example. How do you define yourself without sounding like a snob or insulting someone?
Honestly, that IS the direction I really want to take my business, to the more discerning customer who has a nice car and wants to make it pop, especially for nights on the town in Boston. Being just North of Boston, it isn't so far out of reach to capture the Audi's, BMW's, Lexus, Merc's, Caddy's...

I had one guy come up to me because he saw my shirt with my logo. He asked if I would look at his truck and give him a fair assessment. The truck looks like both sides had been raked against a granite wall, rust was poking through on much of the bed and most of the deep scratches which made impressions into the sheet metal. The carpet in the interior had so much salt embedded that when I touched it, a fiber carpet actually snapped off like brittle candy. He thought I could "buff it out" and steam clean it.

As a VERY small business owner I have to look at bottom line. I could spend 50% of my product, 150% of my time and material on trying to solve this guys 8 year old work truck, or I could book an Audi A4 which is well cared for, except it's swirled out and the owner wants it to pop.

How do you tell the first guy you can't take his job without coming off like a snob. When you pull up in your Corvette to book a job, how do you define what you do?

Mike lambert
08-10-2015, 10:36 AM
We started out doing everything, as we increased prices the rough one were weeded out. We now only offer full corrections and coatings. That pretty much brings the client that is enthusiastic about car care.
Theshineshopautodetailing.com

FinishingTouchA
08-10-2015, 12:17 PM
That's the point Bob, for example. How do you define yourself without sounding like a snob or insulting someone?
Honestly, that IS the direction I really want to take my business, to the more discerning customer who has a nice car and wants to make it pop, especially for nights on the town in Boston. Being just North of Boston, it isn't so far out of reach to capture the Audi's, BMW's, Lexus, Merc's, Caddy's...

I had one guy come up to me because he saw my shirt with my logo. He asked if I would look at his truck and give him a fair assessment. The truck looks like both sides had been raked against a granite wall, rust was poking through on much of the bed and most of the deep scratches which made impressions into the sheet metal. The carpet in the interior had so much salt embedded that when I touched it, a fiber carpet actually snapped off like brittle candy. He thought I could "buff it out" and steam clean it.

As a VERY small business owner I have to look at bottom line. I could spend 50% of my product, 150% of my time and material on trying to solve this guys 8 year old work truck, or I could book an Audi A4 which is well cared for, except it's swirled out and the owner wants it to pop.

How do you tell the first guy you can't take his job without coming off like a snob. When you pull up in your Corvette to book a job, how do you define what you do?

Are you charging flat rate? This is the only way I could see bad jobs affecting your bottom line..

Treat every potential client the same way. Tell them what you can and can't fix and estimate cost at an hourly rate. And when people say you're too expensive don't take it personally. Simply remind them that you provide the best quality work available, they will go to the hack around the corner, and you can take the next call (hopefully a swirled up Ferrari 458).

What I'm saying is don't tell someone you only work on high-end cars, instead inform them of the quality of service you provide. McDonalds vs a high end steakhouse is a good example. The host at the steakhouse doesn't tell people when they walk in that they only serve to multimillionaires.

KMG
08-10-2015, 12:26 PM
You don't need to worry about turning people away. Your prices/quality of work will prove your worth. Charge what you charge and take the work you can get. Me personally I like working on vehicles that are trashed, as they typically provide that wow factor that a near perfect vehicle just don't provide. While a newer car may be a lot easier to do, it just don't have the gratification that something older and more worn does.

I am also a part time guy and this year I made the decision to no longer do any cars unless it at least gets polished. Last year I did quite a few cars that were totally trashed and just wanted a wash and seal. Year the car looked glossier but still looked like crap, and I didn't want my name attached to anything like that. You just need to decide what is best for you though. But honestly restoring the finish on an older trashed car is going to show case your talent a lot more then making a car that already looks pretty good look a little bit better.

LSNAutoDetailing
08-10-2015, 02:48 PM
Are you charging flat rate? This is the only way I could see bad jobs affecting your bottom line..

Treat every potential client the same way. Tell them what you can and can't fix and estimate cost at an hourly rate. And when people say you're too expensive don't take it personally. Simply remind them that you provide the best quality work available, they will go to the hack around the corner, and you can take the next call (hopefully a swirled up Ferrari 458).

What I'm saying is don't tell someone you only work on high-end cars, instead inform them of the quality of service you provide. McDonalds vs a high end steakhouse is a good example. The host at the steakhouse doesn't tell people when they walk in that they only serve to multimillionaires.

You don't need to worry about turning people away. Your prices/quality of work will prove your worth. Charge what you charge and take the work you can get. Me personally I like working on vehicles that are trashed, as they typically provide that wow factor that a near perfect vehicle just don't provide. While a newer car may be a lot easier to do, it just don't have the gratification that something older and more worn does.

I am also a part time guy and this year I made the decision to no longer do any cars unless it at least gets polished. Last year I did quite a few cars that were totally trashed and just wanted a wash and seal. Year the car looked glossier but still looked like crap, and I didn't want my name attached to anything like that. You just need to decide what is best for you though. But honestly restoring the finish on an older trashed car is going to show case your talent a lot more then making a car that already looks pretty good look a little bit better.

Good point Ryan! I like the analogy.

I do a full inspection one week prior to booking. I use a modified inspection from my friend (mediscott). I take paint measurements, use my Flex light... mark things up. I look at the interior (that's the wife's department)... I mark things up as I find them. I have three packages, but each is a "starting at" price... things will go up if they need more time and material. That will separate the ones looking to only spend x-dollars when I charge y-dollars.

My point is, I'm always selling and always wear my shirts and I get questions from people. My question was what to say to the person when the car is beyond trashed and they should have taken advantage of the cash for clunkers program. How do you keep a straight face and give a quote?

jarred767
08-10-2015, 03:38 PM
To be brief, you're a business and they want to use the services you provide. If they ask for a quote, more often than not, you should probably give them one. Just make sure that you'll be happy with the work, given the quote.

If you quoted the $100 and he took the offer, will you be happy doing the work? $200? $500? $1000? $2000? At what point are you happy with the quote? Whatever that number is, Give them the quote and if they accept, then you should be all happy. If they don't, then your still happy. If there is no number that you'll be happy at, then you'll just have to tell them that.

In essence, let the quote speak for itself.

VP Mark
08-10-2015, 08:01 PM
Umm, simple decline the work politely.

There is nothing wrong with saying

"I appreciate your calling me and bringing the vehicle by, but the condition of the vehicle is beyond my ability to improve to the standards that I hold myself too. If there is anything else I can help you with, please contact me."

I've found over the years that one of the most stress relieving, trouble destroying, aggravation preventing things you can do in business is learn how to use the word NO, and use it often.

Be professional, be polite, but know your limits of what you want to take one.

That being said, I do take on absolutely crazy interior work all the time simply because I like the challenge. I'm talking mold, spores, insane dog hair, barn vehicle, crazy stuff! But I enjoy doing it and get paid well for it.

FinishingTouchA
08-10-2015, 11:56 PM
Umm, simple decline the work politely.

There is nothing wrong with saying

"I appreciate your calling me and bringing the vehicle by, but the condition of the vehicle is beyond my ability to improve to the standards that I hold myself too. If there is anything else I can help you with, please contact me."

I've found over the years that one of the most stress relieving, trouble destroying, aggravation preventing things you can do in business is learn how to use the word NO, and use it often.

Be professional, be polite, but know your limits of what you want to take one.

That being said, I do take on absolutely crazy interior work all the time simply because I like the challenge. I'm talking mold, spores, insane dog hair, barn vehicle, crazy stuff! But I enjoy doing it and get paid well for it.

Agreed! Filthy interior work can sometimes be the most satisfying, provided you have the proper tools and products. And yes, if you wouldn't be happy with the final product at any price simply tell them that. I've had people bring me cars with clearcoat failure that want the base coat polished to make it "look better", I simply tell them "No, I can't help you with this, but here is a business card for the body shop just down the road."

This might be a little "out there" but maybe build a relationship with a local detailer that offers a decent job at a cheap price. You can send him the cars you don't like and he'll send you the full paint corrections. Just an idea, don't know how well this would actually work.