PDA

View Full Version : Clearcoat failure ?

Pages : [1] 2

bws
08-09-2015, 08:09 PM
2 years ago someone backed into the front of my parked 2012 Camry so the front bumper needed to be replaced. Everything was covered by insurance but now I think I'm seeing clearcoat failure on the the repair job I had done by Toyota or whatever body shop they used. Do you think they would fix it or I need to figure out how to do it myself?

bwsct's Story | Photobucket (http://s1045.photobucket.com/user/bwsct/story)

Thanks

bws
08-09-2015, 08:31 PM
Pics

Library Slideshow by bwsct | Photobucket (http://s1045.photobucket.com/user/bwsct/embed/slideshow)

Eandras
08-09-2015, 08:40 PM
Clear coat failure. Will need a repaint from a good body shop

Sizzle Chest
08-09-2015, 08:47 PM
I would want to see what warranty they give with the repairs. Some are said to be 'lifetime'. I would talk to the dealer/shop that did the repair. They should take care of it.

bws
08-09-2015, 09:55 PM
Thanks. It was repaired through a Toyota dealership who doesn't actually have a body shop on site but I'll contact the dealership to see what their warranty is.

bws
09-28-2015, 10:51 AM
I would want to see what warranty they give with the repairs. Some are said to be 'lifetime'. I would talk to the dealer/shop that did the repair. They should take care of it.

Clear coat failure. Will need a repaint from a good body shop

The dealership who did the work agreed to repaint it after some back and forth with them.

I have a spot on the bumper where I must have rubbed against a curb and its a little rough. Should I sand that down before the body shop repaints it or do you think they would do that?

Thanks for the advice.

GSKR
09-28-2015, 12:04 PM
Did you pay out of pocket or insurance I know some autobody shop have a commitment lifelong warranty .If you paid cash and 2 years ago ur probably on ur own.if he is is business man he will know if it's a defect in workmanship and eat it .If it's you're neglected driving habits and u caused it and he can explain it to you,you're gonna pay

99monguse
09-28-2015, 12:52 PM
if it was a GOOD body shop, the clear coat manufacturer should take care of it. Just go back to the facility and ask, that is unless you buffed the hell out of it since and you caused the failure.

2black1s
09-28-2015, 01:06 PM
This thread is a perfect example of why I preach that repainting anything should be done only as a last resort. Simply put, even with the best materials and workmanship, aftermarket repaints do not have the same durability as factory finishes. Repainted panels/vehicles will nearly always fade/fail at a more rapid pace than their factory counterparts.

Sometimes it's better to live with a small defect, or do a very localized touch-up, rather than repairing and repainting an entire panel/vehicle. Obviously the extent of the defect or damage play a huge role in making any decision and sometimes repainting is the only viable option.

Custom jobs and show cars are exceptions as they will usually not be subjected to the same environmental conditions of daily drivers or vehicles that sit outside in the elements extensively.

bws
09-28-2015, 01:24 PM
Did you pay out of pocket or insurance I know some autobody shop have a commitment lifelong warranty .If you paid cash and 2 years ago ur probably on ur own.if he is is business man he will know if it's a defect in workmanship and eat it .If it's you're neglected driving habits and u caused it and he can explain it to you,you're gonna pay

Someone had backed into the front bumper which was replaced and then painted so it was done through insurance. Its obvious in multiple spots the clear coat is failing with no impact on that area.

My question is now if I should sand the area down where there was a scrape since they'll be repainting it anyway?

bws
09-28-2015, 01:29 PM
This thread is a perfect example of why I preach that repainting anything should be done only as a last resort. Simply put, even with the best materials and workmanship, aftermarket repaints do not have the same durability as factory finishes. Repainted panels/vehicles will nearly always fade/fail at a more rapid pace than their factory counterparts.

Sometimes it's better to live with a small defect, or do a very localized touch-up, rather than repairing and repainting an entire panel/vehicle. Obviously the extent of the defect or damage play a huge role in making any decision and sometimes repainting is the only viable option.

Custom jobs and show cars are exceptions as they will usually not be subjected to the same environmental conditions of daily drivers or vehicles that sit outside in the elements extensively.

I agree. The front bumper was replaced so it needed to be done. I'm just happy that they've agreed to paint it again after almost 2 years. Thanks

bws
09-28-2015, 07:46 PM
Should I sand the scuffed up area on the under side of the bumper before its repainted? Any specific grade sandpaper I should use? Its a 2012 Camry.

2black1s
09-28-2015, 08:16 PM
Should I sand the scuffed up area on the under side of the bumper before its repainted? Any specific grade sandpaper I should use? Its a 2012 Camry.

Is the scuffed area readily visible or is it underneath where you need to get down and look underneath to even see it? That would play into my decision.

The entire bumper cover will need to be sanded anyways as part of the normal refinishing process. I'd probably just point it out to whoever is doing the repair and ask them to address it.

bws
09-28-2015, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=2black1s;1300046]Is the scuffed area readily visible or is it underneath where you need to get down and look underneath to even see it? That would play into my decision.

The entire bumper cover will need to be sanded anyways as part of the normal refinishing process. I'd probably just point it out to whoever is doing the repair and ask them to address it.[/

Its not visible from a standing position. If they have to sand it down themselves to do the work should I just leave it alone?

GSKR
09-28-2015, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't touch it ,bring it back any problems from body guy ,call you're insurance some of these repair facilities are linked up by insurance and offer customer repair warranty for the life of car,if not u got a problem god luck .