PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coat Failure

Focus
08-09-2015, 06:01 PM
Hey guys, I've been an occasional lurker here from quite some time, but I'm still pretty inexperienced in detailing. Anyway, my father has a 2002 Camry that he's had since new and that has never been garaged, and as such it has some pretty severe clear coat failure on the roof and trunk, to the point where a large portion of the roof is just exposed base coat. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for something that could be done to at least improve the look of the car, if only from a distance. I've tried doing some light polishing in a test spot just to see what happens, and there is a slight improvement, but it's negligible really. I know the only way to actually fix this is to get the car resprayed, but seeing as how the car's not worth much and will probably be sold soon that probably wouldn't be a smart move financially. So if anything can be done in the meantime just as a sort of "band-aid" fix, that would be great. I recall an old thread where someone attempted something similar (I think), but I can't seem to find it now.

Thanks for your help guys, apologies if I posted this in the wrong section.

FUNX650
08-09-2015, 06:16 PM
I think in that thread you're talking about...
Somebody was experimenting on improving
a CC-failure through use of a Coating.

Sorry...but I don't really remember what level
of success, if any, was actually achieved.

Regardless:
Could be considered cheaper than a respray.

Bob

Focus
08-09-2015, 06:36 PM
Here's a photo if it makes any difference

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/uploads/59745/clear_coat_failure2.jpg