PDA

View Full Version : Dad used my towel on his wheels...

conman1395
08-09-2015, 01:32 PM
So I taught my dad how to do rinseless washes. He's using the Garry Dean Method and I told him that when you do the wheels that you use COSTCO TOWELS. The yellow ones....... On paint we use blue towels.
Well after showing him a few times I go inside anf eat lunch before I start correction on my car and I find out he used two of my nice towels on the face of the wheels....

Are those towels not safe for paint or can they be washed? I figure that I have to throw them away but before I throw two of my new nice towels away I figured I'd ask.

Kamakaz1961
08-09-2015, 01:35 PM
You do not need to throw them away. Just a good wash should do the trick. But way cool your pops has drank the AGO Kool-Aid and is now with the AGO Force!

conman1395
08-09-2015, 02:46 PM
Well he bought a 991 Carrera S and I'm moving out. So I offered to teach him how to wash his car safely and he said he would but he hates doing the full 2BM thing all the time because he drives the hell out of his Porsches.

So naturally I thought about the Garry Dean Method!

Rsurfer
08-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Call the child abuse center.:nomore:

conman1395
08-09-2015, 03:10 PM
Call the child abuse center.:nomore:
Do you not think they're good to use then?

Rsurfer
08-09-2015, 03:26 PM
Do you not think they're good to use then?

Don't sweet it son, it's only 2 towels.:props:

FUNX650
08-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Take it from me:
When dealing with 'elderly people',
let your motto be:

"Reframe; Don’t blame".

Bob

dcjredline
08-09-2015, 04:02 PM
I "fight" with my dad all the time on this. Its a struggle every time hes in my garage lol. Its not impossible to teach an old dog new tricks just hard.

I also have gotten him to start using something similar to the Michael Stoops method of rinseless washing for his vehicles.

cardaddy
08-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Hey Conner...
Take it you're talking about the folded/hemmed edge "edgeless" towels. Funny they are "edgeless" though as that'd mean they literally HAVE NO END, and go on forever. :laughing:

E-Mail me some photos of them, that'd be something to go on.

Would *I* use them on paint again? Hmmmm.... that just depends on how dirty they got, and if they are stained to the point where they don't wash clean.

What I've found that I end up doing is when doing rinseless (which btw I really don't like doing, but do - do it when it's freezing in Jan~Feb on CarMomma's Denali) is end up relegating towels AFTER they've been used to different uses.

As you told your Dad, the Costco towels are for the wheels. But you can also dedicate other towels for various places on the vehicle. What I'll do, after close inspection once the washing/drying is done is take a marker and put a hash mark on the corner.

1 mark - Towel doesn't work for LSP application, or final wipes. Likely won't do the top(s) of cars again (depending on the quality of the towel to begin with). Might do a mark with a dot to let me know I considered it (right out of the dryer) good enough to touch paint, just not critical work.

2 marks - Towel doesn't do hood, roof, trunk, anywhere near the top of the car, but can do the sides below the main sightline.

3 marks - Bottom use only - bottoms of doors, behind fenders, rocker panels, back bumper, door/hood/trunk jambs

3 marks with a strikethrough (or 4 marks) - Interior use only!

Usually by the time it gets to three marks (or worse) I'll put it with general utility towels.

The Costco towels start at general utility and end up doing oil changes, then wiping the garage floor!!!!!! :laughing:

WaxMaster1
08-09-2015, 05:15 PM
Absolutely DO NOT use those towels! I will PM you my address to send them to me and I will dispose of them properly.

conman1395
08-09-2015, 06:08 PM
Absolutely DO NOT use those towels! I will PM you my address to send them to me and I will dispose of them properly.
Haha lol.

parshooter
08-10-2015, 12:52 PM
I'd get a new dad. They can be cheaper than MF towels.