PDA

View Full Version : Beast of a starter replacement: 12L Cummins

Mantilgh
08-08-2015, 10:28 PM
Typically I wouldn't consider posting something like this, but it felt like an accomplishment.

I've replaced starters before but I was a bit skeptical about doing this one my myself for some reason. Oh well, couldn't be to hard I thought, and it wasn't. Only real fear I had was being able to reach the one hidden mounting bolt, and thought the bolts might be seized or torqued extremely tight.

Here my the truck.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/image1031.jpg

And the starter. One mounting bolt clearly visible, one just under the bottom, then one behind the solenoid only accessible with about a one foot extension fed through the mess of wires.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2675/medium/image1567.jpg

No real problems other than the shear wight of this beast. One site I looked at said the Delco Remy 42MT™ Heavy Duty Starter weighs in a 58lbs, and I believe it. I had guessed that it had to be over 50lbs and had to check just to see.

It was quite a struggle to get it out and the new one back in, and I am no a weak man by any means. Getting it out and in without dropping it was a real concern. With that weight it could easily rip out a wire, chop one in half, or gash an airline.

I reconnected the wiring and batteries, and it started right up.

fly07sti
08-08-2015, 10:39 PM
Ya, those are fun. Especially when some jacka$$ puts lock tight on those bolts. The DT66's were a pain as well with the harness wedged so tight against the starter it was a mission just to get access to that too bolt.

Mantilgh
08-08-2015, 10:56 PM
Lock tight would have sucked. These where not bad at all. Visible one was tight, bottom was barely tight,and the hard one was was to loose.

Yeah that harness made it fun. Having to try to make room to get your hand in there to get the socket or bolt lined up. Doing that with your left hand over top and your arm in-between this and that. Then crossing over with your right to try to spin the extension while pushing in on it.

Vegas Transplant
08-09-2015, 08:40 AM
:dblthumb2:

I hate our shop.

Nice guys on a personal level but I recently had to walk away from two different tractors after they got their hands on them.
The purple Century and the 06 Volvo.

Gonna turn Chattanooga today with a 10 hr break then drop the 09 Mack off at the Mack dealership Charlotte NC Monday.

Cya on the SuperSlab Hand:xyxthumbs:

Mantilgh
08-09-2015, 09:11 AM
VT, do you know much about load boards and what not?

Once summer ends, I slow down quite a bit and should be using this truck for other things to supplement my income. I have heard there is some competition and it not the most profitable way to make money with a truck, but something is better that nothing.

Would I need to be bonded?

Vegas Transplant
08-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Haven't had to deal with brokers on an O/O level since 1988 so I can't answer your question.

Also if you're running dual 120 gallon tanks AND the tractor hay rack it's gonna be hard to axle out (scale) many 43-45,000 lb loads. Volvo's are notorious for this.

Being new to this aspect of the industry your safest move would be dealing with the largest and most stable brokers like CH Robinson. But its usually cheap and heavy loads. But at least THEY pay theirs bills unlike many brokers on the boards.

Why dont you look into power unit only companies that relocate trailers and equipment?

Mantilgh
08-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Thanks bud. Yeah I figured you were well beyond dealing with brokers. I hate the rack for the weight, it's way over built for my needs and the suspension on the front of these. It's a straight truck with a bed. Was built originally for tandem for a steel hauler before we got it. Titled for around 40,000 but 21,000 of it is truck, so I think that would really limit me. Just need to keep so cash flow going when it's slow.

Any idea of what I could clear per lighter loads, local or long distance? Just a guess would be fine

Vegas Transplant
08-09-2015, 08:50 PM
I'll send you links tomorrow.
Bust the main coolant hose from reservoir to engine while pulling Black Mountain I-40. 6000gallons in the tank ..

Gotta burn the midnight oil.

Mantilgh
08-09-2015, 10:39 PM
Oh no! Best of luck to you.

Vegas Transplant
08-10-2015, 09:37 PM
Just walked in the door. Only took 2.5 hrs to get rolling again.
LOOOONNNNGGGGG day today. Hot and humid when I left Chatt.
Monsoon like rain in the Tarheel (Shelby).
Gonna ask my terminal mgr for info tomorrow.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1838/IMG_20150809_215441.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/98369)

Mantilgh
08-11-2015, 03:04 AM
Thanks.

Talking about breaking down had me about half paranoid yesterday. All was well. No traffic, no accidents, no DOT, hay didn't get rained on, extra help unloading, got paid, and got home early.

Last week started out with replacing my alternator, lost one drive tire that ripped three braces out and would have blown the wooden section in the air if I hadn't had a load on, a hole in the muffler opened up, and the starter finally gave up the ghost. Made more than I paid out though. Enough to buy a couple more loads and some to get the wife off my back.

Getting reading to head out here soon, trying work around the rain drops again today.