PDA

View Full Version : Chip Repair Question

AustrianOak82
08-07-2015, 07:32 AM
I typically do chip repair for my customers the old fashioned way via cleaning, applying, wet sanding, and polishing. I have never used the Dr. Colorchip system but I have been thinking of testing it out here sometime soon. That leads to my question...

I had someone ask me to repair 2-3 chips on their Cadillac SRX. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but the chips are pretty good size and they are located in the center of a small, round dent (similar to a hail hit but they're bowl shaped vs creased). I am not even sure how it happened, but I am pretty much looking at 3 golfball-size hail hits with the chip located in the middle.

What is the best approach for this situation? Should I try out the Dr. Colorchip system given the dent situation or try the old fashioned way? Asking because it would be difficult to sand but mostly difficult to polish the haze out since it's located in the dent. Thoughts?

Mike Phillips
08-07-2015, 07:41 AM
Doing this type of work can be very time intensive.

IF you're doing it for a friend or because you have a passion for excellence then use your traditional approach but even the traditional approach is difficult and it's easy to turn a mole hill into a mountain.

If this type of work is for a customer then I'd switch your game up and teach yourself a new marketing approach of lowering your customer's expectations and then using the Dr. Color Chip system to get in and get out. Make the process fast and easy and move on.

:)

Audios S6
08-07-2015, 07:42 AM
I'd set the expectations low, let them know that it's going to be very challenging and you may not get it perfect due to the location of the chips; in a perfect world the divots would be PDR'd before any chip repair. Can't say I know cadillac paint but you might be able to get away withdoing an extra wetsanding step with 5000 grit then just a medium polish on a softer/pliable foam pad.

AustrianOak82
08-07-2015, 07:45 AM
That makes sense and has been my thought recently. I feel like most people feel like anything is better than it was, so they don't appreciate the old fashioned method the way I do. I may just make the switch and leave the old way to the higher end cars with less chips to repair.