PDA

View Full Version : Paint Coating Selection

Pages : [1] 2 3

AustrianOak82
08-07-2015, 07:23 AM
I have done a good amount of reading on paint coatings in the last couple of months. I am ready to pull the trigger on one but I have it narrowed down to about 5. Leaning toward the Opti-gloss. They will primarily be used on my Focus ST (metallic black paint) and my wife's Forester (black paint). I would use it secondarily for my detailing business. I am ready to take the plunge and offer these as part of my services, so I want to get some practice in on our cars first. The wife's car does well with just about any wax/sealant but mine responds much better to caranuaba waxes when it comes to depth of color and that "wet" look. Guessing due to the metallic nature of the paint.

As far as what I am looking for in a coating, here is the list in order of importance:

1. Brings out the dark, wet look that makes black paint worth the hassle
2. Has a very high gloss that doesn't look "plastic" like some of the synthetic sealants
3. Longevity. I am looking for something that I can do once or twice a year. I live in Indiana so we have some pretty rough winters.
4. Ease of application. This plays a role, but not too big of one.
5. Price. Not looking to spend a fortune, so looking for a good value. I would like to be able to do about 3 cars (ours plus a GTO) with my initial investment.

Here are my selections and what I have gathered on them so far:

Blackfire: User friendly, Mike has video on product
CQuartz: Hard to apply, expensive, lasts a while
CQuartz UK: Hard to apply, expensive, lasts a while, darkens paint, my best bet for Indiana winter weather?
Opti-gloss: User friendly, high-gloss
DP: Doesn't last very long

Thoughts? Opinions? Feedback? Thanks!

Setec Astronomy
08-07-2015, 07:54 AM
How come you don't have PBL on the list?

TuxedoTaurus
08-07-2015, 07:58 AM

Not to sound snide, just inquisitive.

Why should PBL be considered?

AustrianOak82
08-07-2015, 08:00 AM

I'm open to suggestions. I have never heard of this one though.

Setec Astronomy
08-07-2015, 08:07 AM
I'm open to suggestions. I have never heard of this one though.

Pinnacle Black Label

Why should PBL be considered?

He's got the other 2 PBMG coatings there, why not the 3rd? Besides he lists the CQuartz coatings as "hard to apply", so why not add another easy one that is frequently on sale?

AustrianOak82
08-07-2015, 08:09 AM
Pinnacle Black Label

He's got the other 2 PBMG coatings there, why not the 3rd? Besides he lists the CQuartz coatings as "hard to apply", so why not add another easy one that is frequently on sale?

So, are you recommending PBL as one that would fit my needs the best?

1. Brings out the dark, wet look that makes black paint worth the hassle
2. Has a very high gloss that doesn't look "plastic" like some of the synthetic sealants
3. Longevity. I am looking for something that I can do once or twice a year. I live in Indiana so we have some pretty rough winters.
4. Ease of application. This plays a role, but not too big of one.
5. Price. Not looking to spend a fortune, so looking for a good value. I would like to be able to do about 3 cars (ours plus a GTO) with my initial investment.

Setec Astronomy
08-07-2015, 08:36 AM
So, are you recommending PBL as one that would fit my needs the best?

I haven't used PBL, but objectively I can't see why it wouldn't be on your list of candidates since you have the other PBMG coatings (Blackfire and DP) on there.

Just out of curiosity, do you have experience using WOWA sealants like Opti-Seal, Ultima Paint Guard Plus, Blackfire Crystal Seal, or Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal?

DaC
08-07-2015, 08:37 AM
Why isn't Gtechniq on your list ? EXOv2 would be my recommendation for you. Easy to apply, ultra high wet gloss, super slick and hydrophobic, lasts around 18-24 months if cared properly during washes... no mistake.

custmsprty
08-07-2015, 08:41 AM
Why isn't Gtechniq on your list ? EXOv2 would me my recommendation for you. Easy to apply, ultra high wet gloss, super slick and hydrophobic, lasts around 18-24 months if cared properly during washes... no mistake.

:dblthumb2:

AustrianOak82
08-07-2015, 08:41 AM
I haven't used PBL, but objectively I can't see why it wouldn't be on your list of candidates since you have the other PBMG coatings (Blackfire and DP) on there.

Just out of curiosity, do you have experience using WOWA sealants like Opti-Seal, Ultima Paint Guard Plus, Blackfire Crystal Seal, or Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal?

I don't. I have always used traditional waxes and sealants layered.

Why isn't Gtechniq on your list ? EXOv2 would me my recommendation for you. Easy to apply, ultra high wet gloss, super slick and hydrophobic, lasts around 18-24 months if cared properly during washes... no mistake.

From what I read, people had some trouble with the application of it.

DaC
08-07-2015, 08:46 AM

This is due to the fact that Gtechniq Coatings cure super fast, so you have to work a small section 40x40 at a time. These coatings should be fully buffed after 60s at max.

I believe this is why many people have problems with it. But working one small section at a time, it's probably one of the most easy to apply and remove coatings on the market.

Setec Astronomy
08-07-2015, 08:47 AM
I don't. I have always used traditional waxes and sealants layered.

It was always recommended back in the early Opti-Coat days that people have experience with WOWA sealants before moving to coatings, as the application is similar but much more forgiving with the sealant. I happen to agree with that recommendation.

But you said ease of application wasn't really important?

AustrianOak82
08-07-2015, 08:50 AM
It isnt for th3 most part but I also remember the price being up there if I remember correctly. I had read some bad feedback on it and just didn't add it to my list.

AliusPrime
08-07-2015, 09:06 AM
Where in Indiana are you located. I have a detail shop in Valparaiso. It's funny but you sound exactly like me when I trying to decide which route to go. After about a year of research, I tried Simonized Glass coat, Opti Gloss, Ceramic Pro, Chemical Guys Second Skin, and Gtechniq. I ultimately chose to go with Gtechniq. I found that the it's final look and feel on top of it being the most hydrophobic made it the best fit. One thing to keep in mind though is the amount of change you will see from one of these types of coatings is minimal compared to any wax or glaze. Your best bet is to perfect your paint through Polishing then add the sealer.

DaC
08-07-2015, 09:08 AM
It isnt for th3 most part but I also remember the price being up there if I remember correctly. I had read some bad feedback on it and just didn't add it to my list.

I'm quite sure bad reviews were mostly due to user mistakes. Believe me, I use it all the time and it's pretty much a huge success with my costumers.

Gtechniq products are fast curing and high on SiO2 content, and these are some of the qualities that makes these products great, but this is also what causes more inexperienced users some trouble with Gtechniq coatings, from my experience:

- Work small sections at a time. (40x40cm)
- After applied, buff the product after 30s (or less if on a hot and humidly climate), at 60s mark the product should be already fully buffed
- Use 1 towel to buff (this will spread the product a little) and a 2nd towel to buff all the residue the could be left after the 1st towel.
- Use many towels per car, 5 or 6 40x40 towels is fine, the more the better
- Use quality towel, make sure they are clean and can still absolve product properly, I'd recommend a brand new towel for that. Also, it shouldn't lint.
- Have a good diffuse lighting while applying it and look the paint from different angles to make sure no high spots are missed.

And now this applies to any coating, wax or sealant:
- It's very important to make sure your paint surface is super clean before application, for that I recommend after claying and polishing, to wash the car with a more than normal concentration of some quality shampoo. wax and other gloss enhancer free.
For example, Gtechniq G-Wash will dilute up to 1:1800... I would use it on 1:200 for this last wash.
After washing and drying the car use IPA 50%, Car Pro Eraser or Gtechniq PW.