PDA

View Full Version : G15 or G21

DaveT435
08-06-2015, 09:51 PM
I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on a BOSS 15 or 21 tomorrow. I've got a couple crew cap trucks coming in and it would be nice to have the 21, but I'm thinking overall the 15 is going to be more versatile. I haven't completed my research yet. Will the 5" plate work on the 21?

custmsprty
08-06-2015, 09:55 PM
I went with the G21 and bought the 5" backing plate and it works great. I have a Rupes 15 and am glad I got the 21mm throw on the G21. It comes with extra brushes and a washer mod too. Great machine. Be sure to get their pads. I know they cost a little more but they are well worth it. The machine was lcearly designed around these pads.

I got this kit on a no exclusions sale. It's a great value with the add on items.

Griots Garage BOSS G21 Long-Throw Orbital Starter Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-boss-g21-starter-kit.html)

DaveT435
08-06-2015, 10:09 PM
I went with the G21 and bought the 5" backing plate and it works great. I have a Rupes 15 and am glad I got the 21mm throw on the G21. It comes with extra brushes and a washer mod too. Great machine. Be sure to get their pads. I know they cost a little more but they are well worth it. The machine was lcearly designed around these pads.

I got this kit on a no exclusions sale. It's a great value with the add on items.

Griots Garage BOSS G21 Long-Throw Orbital Starter Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-boss-g21-starter-kit.html)

Thanks for the input. The 21 it is. I am buying it on sale. I figure I'm going to use this mainly for finishing. Use the Flex for any heavy correction. I am ordering their pads. Have you tried any of their compounds or polishes?

DaveT435
08-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Any thoughts on the inner flex pads?

custmsprty
08-06-2015, 10:16 PM
Haven't used it yet so can't say, but it looks to be a sound design.

DaveT435
08-06-2015, 10:18 PM
Thanks again.

custmsprty
08-06-2015, 10:21 PM
It's a great machine, I've been very happy with it. On a truck detail that G21 will tear it up! It'll cover a lot of ground.

I have the entire line of polishes and have played around with them, they are excellent too. I just haven't done a full detail in awhile. I tend to wind down over the summer in Florida, it's too hot and it rains every day. I'll get a bunch of vehicles lined up most likely in October when the humidity drops down some. If I did it for a living I'd have to have an air conditioned shop for sure!

Mike@ShineStruck
08-06-2015, 11:57 PM
G21 and get a rupes mini
Thats what i plan anyways
I got the stock 6in bp on my g21
Everyone seems to go for the 5in

DaveT435
08-07-2015, 03:10 PM
It's a great machine, I've been very happy with it. On a truck detail that G21 will tear it up! It'll cover a lot of ground.

I have the entire line of polishes and have played around with them, they are excellent too. I just haven't done a full detail in awhile. I tend to wind down over the summer in Florida, it's too hot and it rains every day. I'll get a bunch of vehicles lined up most likely in October when the humidity drops down some. If I did it for a living I'd have to have an air conditioned shop for sure!

I understand the heat. It will be about 105 here today. I don't do it for a living. My son just bought a new house and his garage has windows. I may spend a couple hundred bucks for a window unit and see if I can get it down to 80-85.
I still have 24 hours to make my decision. Do you think the large throw machines finish better? You've got experience on several machines. The main reason I want it is for an even better finish.
I'm not sure how much better it can get..but I'll spend the money just to squeeze a little more gloss out of the paint.

DaveT435
08-07-2015, 03:11 PM
G21 and get a rupes mini
Thats what i plan anyways
I got the stock 6in bp on my g21
Everyone seems to go for the 5in

I may get the Rubes mini down the road. I just bought the Flex PE8 and that seems to be working very well for me.

expdetailing
08-07-2015, 03:51 PM
:cry::cry:

DaveT435
08-07-2015, 04:19 PM
:cry::cry:

Sorry...Machine, 5 inch backing plate, 6 pads 420.00 to my door. It's worth the 120.00 for the lifetime warranty. Two years for parts wearing out from normal wear and tear.
Did you try Autopia?