PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to use Meguiar's #34 before applying a coating?

Mike Phillips
08-06-2015, 11:16 AM
Is it okay to use Meguiar's #34 before applying a coating?

I get e-mails, PM's and FB messages all the time with questions that are better asked and then answered on this forum for a host of reason. One reason is more eyeballs see the questions and answers so more people are helped versus one set of eyeballs in an e-mail, PM or FB message.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Mike.

Im a Car detailer from Germany and got a question about the #34. Im using it over years to prepare/clean the paint for a sealant after polishing.

Last time I use a lot of ceramic coatings like C.Quartz Uk or Ceramic Coat Ultima. Never had problems yet.

But what do you think?
Could there be problems?

I'm mean there's something oily, and a gloss enhancer in the #34?! Right?

Is the #34 ok before using coatings like this?

Greetings

Darius

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Darius,

M34 is body shop safe and this simply means there are no ingredients in the product that will contaminate a fresh paint environment (body shop) and cause surface adhesion problems or fish eyes.

That said it does have some type of glossing agents to make paint look pretty after removing light dust, smudges and fingerprints.

If I were you I would not use M34 for prepping paint for the application of a coating but instead would use the product the manufacturer of the coating you choose to use recommends to prep the paint.

For all the time, energy and effort that goes into both polishing the paint and coating it might as well follow the directions for best results and peace of mind.

Great question!

:)