PDA

View Full Version : customer backed out after test spots were done.

Pages : [1] 2

Matt@Revive
08-06-2015, 10:44 AM
i have a customer that after a few weeks talking decided to have me do 2 step paint correction and headlight restoration on his new to him black Porsche 997. Tuesday i did a prep wash and clay and test spots on a few panels (there were some sections that had been repainted). the next day he called and left a message for me to hold off on the paint correction, he is having a change of heart on the vehicle. Now i have an extremely swirled black porsche with 4 2x2 sections that are 99% defect free and finish polished. i'm trying to figure out how to return the vehicle, it's against my morrals to install swirls to match the rest of the vehicle.

Nick McKees37
08-06-2015, 10:51 AM
i have a customer that after a few weeks talking decided to have me do 2 step paint correction and headlight restoration on his new to him black Porsche 997. Tuesday i did a prep wash and clay and test spots on a few panels (there were some sections that had been repainted). the next day he called and left a message for me to hold off on the paint correction, he is having a change of heart on the vehicle. Now i have an extremely swirled black porsche with 4 2x2 sections that are 99% defect free and finish polished. i'm trying to figure out how to return the vehicle, it's against my morrals to install swirls to match the rest of the vehicle.

Finish the hood and then use a one-step cleaner wax on the rest of the vehicle.

Mike Phillips
08-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Finish the hood and then use a one-step cleaner wax on the rest of the vehicle.

I agree.

Nothing wrong with taking care of your reputation and that's what's up for stakes here, not the money. Do a knock out job on the hood. I talk about why to do a great job on the hood and other key panels and gloss points in my how-to book The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine (http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-create-a-show-car-shine-book.html) on page 126.

For the one-step cleaner/wax remember, the key to doing one-steps on black and dark colored cars is to use the softest foam pads that will get the job done and the least aggressive cleaner/waxes to get the job done to avoid buffing trails caused by micro-marring.

I explain everything about this in my Flex 3401 how to book (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-polisher-book.html)and also in this article,

How to choose and use a one-step cleaner/wax by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/81546-how-choose-one-step-cleaner-wax.html)

Let the customer know that in order for you to sleep at night you had to finish what you started because that's how you're wired. Let him know how many hours you had invested into the job and what you would have normally charged and leave it at that.

Let them decide whether or not to do what most of us would consider is the right thing.

Love this line from a song called moments to memories....

An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind - John Cougar Mellencamp

Let us know how it turns out...

:)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-06-2015, 11:15 AM
I was going to jump in and say the same thing.

Mike Phillips
08-06-2015, 11:18 AM
I was going to jump in and say the same thing.

But were you going to include the quote by John Cougar Mellencamp?

:D

Hoytman
08-06-2015, 11:21 AM
Mike and Nick,

Would there be anything wrong with calling him and asking him to come over and see the test spots? Surely he'd change his mind. If it's the money they guy is worried about then you can't help that and I'd likely proceed with Mike and Nick's suggestions.

Better yet, rather than having him come over, take pictures of the test spots and email them to him and then ask him how to proceed. What could he expect? I mean you've already had the car a full do or a partial day. Surely he didn't expect you to wait that long to get started.

That's a tough one, but Mike and Nick would be more experienced in this area than I am.

Matt@Revive
08-06-2015, 11:24 AM
I agree.

An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind - John Cougar Mellencamp

:)

plenty of truth in this statement. i have yet to get ahold of the customer, i'd like to save the job, but was planning on hitting the vehicle with HD speed to atleast blend in my test spots and put some protection back onto the paint. i know i can do it quick enough to get it out and take on anouther job to make up the difference.

thanks for the advice, i'll keep you posted.

KMG
08-06-2015, 11:55 AM
I pretty much always send my client teaser pics when I am doing their cars. If they have any doubt about the paint correction it quickly goes away when they see a nice 50/50. Clients love it when you send them update pics showing the progress (at least mine do).

Matt@Revive
08-06-2015, 12:47 PM
I pretty much always send my client teaser pics when I am doing their cars. If they have any doubt about the paint correction it quickly goes away when they see a nice 50/50. Clients love it when you send them update pics showing the progress (at least mine do).

They are not doubting my work, they are doubting whether they want to keep the car or not (they just bought it and are having buyer's remorse)

SKorch630
08-06-2015, 01:11 PM
I'd have zero remorse about a 997 :) Just me, but I'm sorry to hear about that. I'd assure him that he can get his money back if you are to finish the vehicle. Let's be honest.... Would you rather buy a car with a crap finish, or a nice corrected one? If he's worried about the few hundred dollars for the job, then he shouldn't be looking at a Porsche.

Audios S6
08-06-2015, 01:29 PM

My customers love it as well. I do it so they can see the actual correction. I usually give a pretty wide range of correction when discussing (50-80 for polish, 80-95 for compound & polish). Once a get a hood and door test spot done I send them over photos so they know what to expect for the rest of the car. It's also my chance to show them side by side what the difference is.

Extra bonus, they frequently forward the photos to friends and family immediately since they are so excited, and that's free advertising.

OK, back on topic. I'm with Nick & Mike & Mike and pretty much everyone else. Get the hood finished, then use HD speed on the rest. Your reputation is worth more than a couple hours and chances are he'll bring another back even if he doesn't do the right thing and pay for what you've done to this point.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-06-2015, 01:49 PM

Well not quite... That era was before my time.

:laughing:

RedXray
08-06-2015, 03:06 PM

Mike now you're dating yourself... he dropped the Cougar over two decades ago :D

FUNX650
08-06-2015, 04:51 PM
he dropped the Cougar over two decades ago :D
I remember when he went by plain ol' John Cougar:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/image1562.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/98218)

Bob

Mike Phillips
08-07-2015, 07:38 AM
They are not doubting my work, they are doubting whether they want to keep the car or not (they just bought it and are having buyer's remorse)

Are they actually thinking about trying to return the car?

:dunno: