PDA

View Full Version : Why spray wax over conventional?

parshooter
08-06-2015, 06:54 AM
I don't get it. I work more using spray than using canned/bottled waxes. With the spray, you have to spray it, wipe it, then buff it. With conventional, you apply it, then buff it, one less step. I like to apply wax to the whole car, let it sit (while I catch my breath) then remove. With the spray, I feel rushed to get it wiped then buffed before it dries. Am I wrong in my thinking? Guess I'm just old-school (been waxing since the 70s).

DogRescuer
08-06-2015, 06:57 AM
I agree although spray wax has other uses while adding xtra protection on top of your lsp for example it makes a great drying aid

PA DETAILER
08-06-2015, 07:04 AM
Ever use prima wax as you dry? Use it once and you will see how easy and unmatched results are obtained.

Prima Hydro Wax As You Dry Spray, spray wax (http://www.autogeek.net/prima-hydro-spray-wax.html)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-06-2015, 07:18 AM
Each has there respective areas and compliment each other nicely.

I understand what you are trying to say although the best course of action (IMO) would be using an traditional wax perhaps bi monthly or quarterly and maintaining the surface with a spray wax after each wash.

Unless you really have the urge to use the traditional stuff after each wash.

PA DETAILER
08-06-2015, 07:28 AM
Agree. Go ahead and use your favorite LSP, then MAINTAIN it with a detailer/spray wax. Thats my agenda. I currently have hydro max on and maintain it with the wax as you dry. Works out great that way. EASY.

Desertnate
08-06-2015, 08:01 AM
I use Ultimate Quick Wax as a drying aid and found it to be very easy to deal with. I lightly spray down the surface I'm drying and then dry as normal. No buffing, no streaking, just an amazing shine.

If I didn't already have too much stuff clogging up my garage already, I'd probably give Prima or Aquawax a try as they seem very easy to use as well.

Don M
08-06-2015, 08:32 AM
I use a spray wax (most recently Mother's CG Spray Wax) as a booster for the conventional wax (Collinite 845) protecting my paint. I'm not sold on the idea of using it as a drying aid, because I feel that the extra water might dilute the spray wax and lessen the protective effects.

I just applied the MCGSW to my car a few days ago and it's gotten dirty/dusty (with some tree sap added in). so I'm going to give the car a regular wash to see what, if any difference the California Gold makes in the sheeting/beading department.

FUNX650
08-06-2015, 09:05 AM
I don't get it.

I work more using spray than using canned/bottled waxes.

With the spray, you have to spray it, wipe it, then buff it. With conventional, you apply it, then buff it, one less step.

Am I wrong in my thinking?

Guess I'm just old-school (been waxing since the 70s).
Disclaimer...Nay, it's a fact:
I'm way old school...(ancient).

However:
The way I see it...

How does the following directions
for Conventional Waxes:
•Open/remove Wax container's lid
•Transfer Wax to an applicator
•Apply Wax to the vehicle
-Thin is In
-Circles or Straightline?
•Follow Wax manufacturers' recommendation
for drying/hazing (if so needed)
•Remove Wax's "excess(es)"
•Buff
-(to bring out the shine)
•Final Buff <---M.P.
-(to level any high spots)

Contain less steps than the following
directions for a Spray Wax?:
•Turn Spray Wax's container's nozzle to Open/Spray position
•Mist some Spray Wax on either:
-Applicator (RE: MF-towel); vehicle panel
•Spread Wax product with applicator/MF-towel
•Buff (to bring out shine)
•Final Buff (same as above)

Bob

Mask
08-06-2015, 09:18 AM
Lol :D

Desertnate
08-06-2015, 09:30 AM
I use a spray wax (most recently Mother's CG Spray Wax) as a booster for the conventional wax (Collinite 845) protecting my paint. I'm not sold on the idea of using it as a drying aid, because I feel that the extra water might dilute the spray wax and lessen the protective effects.

When using a quick wax as a drying aid, I'm not really looking to improve the protection. I too use 845 on my vehicles. I use it to boost the shine a bit and prevent water spotting while drying since I have no shade in my washing area. Any boost to protection is a side benefit and not the main goal. 845 provides more than enough protection for me.

parshooter
08-06-2015, 11:57 AM
Hmm, spray on while drying car. That's a new one to me. Guess I won't be throwing out my spray waxes after all. Thanks for the tips.

KBsToy
08-07-2015, 04:54 AM
I agree although spray wax has other uses while adding xtra protection on top of your lsp for example it makes a great drying aid

:xyxthumbs: