PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Volkswagen Passat

Pages : [1] 2

Pjstockford
08-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Just purchased a new 2015 Passat and it has holograms and light scratches all over. It's driving me nuts! I have a Porter Cable DA buffer. What pad and product should I use to get the scratches out? I tried Optimum Finish with a white pad on the hood. Looked like I didn't even touch it! Hard clear coat maybe? I gave up and just threw Klasse on it to at least protect. By the way, it's red with a lot of metallic. Thanks!

mwoolfso
08-05-2015, 09:41 PM
Hard clear definitely. Wolfgang TSR with an orange or yellow pad will be the way to go to get those swirls out.

ski2
08-05-2015, 10:20 PM
HD Adapt on an orange Buff & Shine with a GG6 works well on hard VW clear and finishes very well. You can follow it up with Adapt on a green B&S pad for more gloss.

ski2
08-06-2015, 06:35 AM
Since you have a PC DA perhaps you should pick up a few of the new Megs THIN pads in 5" as they will help the DA perform better. I haven't used them, but have read numerous reviews that the maroon cutting pad does a great job and finishes down very well.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-06-2015, 07:28 AM
German paint loves German products.

What are you trying to accomplish? An AIO, One step polish and wax, multiple step process?

Desertnate
08-06-2015, 07:30 AM
What color is the paint?

I have a Black metallic '14 GTI and the paint is rock hard. Finishing polishes will not make a dent in any defects in the paint.

I use Lake Country Flat pads with my HF DA. For a polish I found the Blackfire Duo works very well, but I have to use both the compound and the polish for best results. If you are in a hurry, the compound will finish down to an amazing shine all on it's own. If you don't want to go the Blackfire route, many others have had success with Menzerna 400 or 1500 when correcting VW black paint.

ski2
08-06-2015, 11:42 AM
I have a Black metallic '14 GTI and the paint is rock hard. Finishing polishes will not make a dent in any defects in the paint.

That's strange. We have a 012 Golf and a 07 Passat--both with rock hard clear. I've had great success removing wash induced marring with a Buff & Shine orange pad and HD Polish with my GG6--took about 6 section passes. Now with my G15 only takes 3 or 4 passes with the same pad and HD Polish.

Once the new B&S long throw pads come out later this summer I hope it will take even fewer passes.

Desertnate
08-06-2015, 01:38 PM
That's strange. We have a 012 Golf and a 07 Passat--both with rock hard clear. I've had great success removing wash induced marring with a Buff & Shine orange pad and HD Polish with my GG6--took about 6 section passes. Now with my G15 only takes 3 or 4 passes with the same pad and HD Polish.

Once the new B&S long throw pads come out later this summer I hope it will take even fewer passes.

I found very slight wash-induced swirls would polish out, but marks made by removing snow or marring from the Nanoskin would not. Most light RIDS would not go out either with Blackfire SRC Polish on a white LC pad. If I made two separate attacks on the area with about 6 each it would go away, but that takes forever.

I've now learned if I want to get the car looking amazing, I hit it with the SRC Compound and follow up with the SRC Polish. The SRC Compound is not as aggressive as some compounds, yet it cuts through most defects on my VW with ease. Fortunately it finishes down really nice too in the event I don't have time to follow up with a finishing polish.

ski2
08-06-2015, 03:02 PM
I found very slight wash-induced swirls would polish out, but marks made by removing snow or marring from the Nanoskin would not. Most light RIDS would not go out either with Blackfire SRC Polish on a white LC pad. If I made two separate attacks on the area with about 6 each it would go away, but that takes forever.

I've now learned if I want to get the car looking amazing, I hit it with the SRC Compound and follow up with the SRC Polish. The SRC Compound is not as aggressive as some compounds, yet it cuts through most defects on my VW with ease. Fortunately it finishes down really nice too in the event I don't have time to follow up with a finishing polish.

Sounds about the same as my experience in that HD Adapt is a medium compound that finishes very well, but I do use an orange pad. I always PW before washing and use the Carpro Lambskin mitt so marring is at a minumum. With the Nanoskin sponge and UWW+ as lube I get no marring at all so for the most part HD Polish with an orange pad removes the light wash marring then I'll use HD Adapt and spot polish any deeper marring. I did do a Jetta with Adapt and orange pad and it removed all but the deepest scratches and was LSP ready.

Pjstockford
08-06-2015, 07:19 PM
German paint loves German products.

What are you trying to accomplish? An AIO, One step polish and wax, multiple step process?

An all in one preferably.

Pjstockford
08-06-2015, 07:23 PM
What color is the paint?

I use Lake Country Flat pads with my HF DA. For a polish I found the Blackfire Duo works very well, but I have to use both the compound and the polish for best results. If you are in a hurry, the compound will finish down to an amazing shine all on it's own. If you don't want to go the Blackfire route, many others have had success with Menzerna 400 or 1500 when correcting VW black paint.

It's red with a lot of metallic. It's called Fortana red.

Pjstockford
08-06-2015, 08:47 PM
So Menzerna 1500 or Wolfgang TSR? That is the question! Need to pull the trigger on one or the other so I can get this done.

Desertnate
08-07-2015, 07:39 AM
You can't go wrong with either one. You might also consider a finishing polish like Wolfgang Finishing Glaze or Menzerna 4000 to really make the car look good.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-08-2015, 04:25 AM
An all in one preferably.

In that case I would recommend either Menzerna's 3n1 AIO or the Wolfgang Über AIO.

Menzerna's 3n1 AIO contains the same polishing abrasive as found in PF2500. This gives you great one step cut and polish results with protection built in.

I have not used Wolfgang Über.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-08-2015, 04:27 AM
So Menzerna 1500 or Wolfgang TSR? That is the question! Need to pull the trigger on one or the other so I can get this done.

You could also do a 1.5 step process in that you could run Menzerna SI1500 on an orange cutting pad for cut and follow up with Menzerna 3n1 on a white or gray pad to finish up.