PDA

View Full Version : After 3 months of being in business

Pages : [1] 2

Lustrous Detail
08-05-2015, 02:08 PM
Aloha!

I would just like to share that after being in business for 3 months, this was the best choice I ever made. I was a bit scared at first but I'm glad I took the plunge! My main worry was spending money on products intially and not getting any business. So I shared on social media to gain exposure of my new business and started to book appointments. Currently I'm booked till november. Only because I still work a full time Monday to Friday job and weekends are my only detail days. I'm looking on the next few months to transition from my full time to go part time and detail part time.

I've been steady the past three months with 2 details on Saturday (averaging $250-$400, clay/seal jobs) and 1 on Sunday (averaging $70+, for express/maintenance type jobs). I can't do much on Sundays because of church and family time. Also averaging 3-5 people a week for inquiring about my detail services.

I've learned a lot from trial and error; I've learned to not detail two big suv/trucks on saturdays lol; slow is smooth and smooth is effieciency; when first starting up, I started with interior than exterior. I've switched to exterior then interior and it works for me.

I still got a lot to learn but I'm super excited what is in store for the future! Sorry for the lengthy thread but I just had to share!

Kamakaz1961
08-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Man that is so cool to hear!! Glad you are kickin some BEHIND!!

Being slammed is a good thing!! Awesome to read this!!

Lustrous Detail
08-05-2015, 02:42 PM
Man that is so cool to hear!! Glad you are kickin some BEHIND!!

Being slammed is a good thing!! Awesome to read this!!

Thanks Hapa! Lol

Zelfiris
08-05-2015, 02:46 PM
congratulations!

Souldetailer
08-05-2015, 03:23 PM
Happy for your success.:xyxthumbs: Keep it going strong.

Peace,

Darrin

Mike lambert
08-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Excellent!

Justin at Final Inspection
08-05-2015, 05:59 PM
Congratulations! That's pretty much what I do as well. Weekends and then for bigger correction/coating jobs I have the customer leave me the car for a few days and work on them at night after work. Good luck with your business!

whavens
08-05-2015, 06:55 PM
Great to hear. Slowly getting there myself. Wish you all the best.

Walter

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Rod73
08-05-2015, 07:14 PM
Thank you for the inspirational thread :) and I am happy for your success.

PFinishDetail
08-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Congratulations, that's inspiring and really great for you, I'm glad it's taken off so well for you.

I'm about 2 weeks in as an actual business and have done a few friends vehicles and referrals from friends but haven't landed anything on my own yet, hopefully I will soon.

Keep up the good work and best of luck turning it into a full time gig!

RFrommann
08-05-2015, 10:39 PM
I've been detailing at a dealer for 1.5 years and finally made the plugs to buy my own stuff to do my side jobs at home or customers house. Driving 45 mins to work on my day off or trying to get someone to drive to my work wasn't too appealing.

I got my stuff last Thursday and I've already done 3 exterior details, have an interior booked for tomorrow. Saturday I have 2 exteriors, Sunday I may have 2 exteriors. And Tuesday I have a full car. I'm getting 150 for interior or exterior. And 250 for a full.

And I have 2 possible jobs for next week already. Looks like I'm going to be quitting my job a lot sooner than I thought! And I got offered to use my friends 18x30 garage to work out of.

I know all about that fear of taking the plunge, but glad I did!

Damonsfcd
08-05-2015, 10:50 PM
Congratulations!

Hey, care to share your social media advertising strategy?

I'm curious.

Lustrous Detail
08-06-2015, 04:13 AM
Congratulations!

Hey, care to share your social media advertising strategy?

I'm curious.

Hey! I've been posting mainly on instagram. My screen name is @lustrousdetail. I have two accounts. First step is to create a separate account for your business. This way people will see it as a legit business and not combine it with your personal profile. First, I made a post saying that I'll be starting a detailing business and ask people (mainly close friends and family) to repost. I find it appealing to potentials for them to see before and after pics, and 50/50 shots. I get good compliments from those pics. You can see it on my IG. Whatever I post, I link it to my FB profile so whatever I share on IG it goes to FB. Take lots of pics! This would be a good start. Create a unique logo. I've used fiverr.com and use that logo to watermark your pics. Makes it look professional. It's all about image! Goodluck!

isaiasv94
08-06-2015, 10:28 PM
Woow man.. I think the same like you I'm a little skeptic on going public, I feel like I need more practice or like something is missing. Quick question do you have insurance and how about all the government permits since you are working just 2 days ?

FinishingTouchA
08-07-2015, 12:55 AM
When I first started 2 years ago I registered the business name with the state as a DBA for $50. After getting a location and employees I got insurance and an Employer Identification Number. Never had insurance before going full time, but it's definitely a good idea. The sad truth is even if you scratch a quarter panel or burn through it's not even worth reporting due to the deductible. But it's the chance that you burn through on a numbers matching original paint hemi Cuda that you want good insurance.