PDA

View Full Version : Prepping CCS foam pads...

Pages : [1] 2

skenzer
09-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Do I need to do anything to CCS foam pads prior to using them? Like use a pad conditioner or spray with water? Or is that only if they are stiff?

Also, they're brand new so should I wash them prior to using them?

thanks
Brad

budman3
09-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Yeah, it would be a safe thing to wash them ... or atleast soak them in water. CCS pads are a little different but other open celled pads are acutally shaved down into the shape of a pad at the factory. Bits of the shaving and left over padding can actually still be inside the pad and it'd be a good idea to get rid of that prior to using that on your car.

skenzer
09-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Sounds good, I'll give them a quick cleaning then. When I go to use them can I use them dry? or should I prep them with something? It seems I heard that spraying a little water on them is the thing to do.

brad

budman3
09-13-2007, 11:07 PM
It depends on what products you use. XMT and Menzerna seem to like a shot or two of water, QD, or XMT Pad conditioner. Poorboy's SSRs and Optimum haven't reacted well being primed. If you don't use water, QD or pad conditioner, just apply some polish around the perimiter of the pad and smear it all around. This way the pad won't be dry and then you can go ahead and polish away :).

skenzer
09-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks again Budman! Sounds like good solid advice. :cheers:

klumzypinoy
09-14-2007, 01:09 AM
It depends on what products you use. XMT and Menzerna seem to like a shot or two of water, QD, or XMT Pad conditioner. Poorboy's SSRs and Optimum haven't reacted well being primed. If you don't use water, QD or pad conditioner, just apply some polish around the perimiter of the pad and smear it all around. This way the pad won't be dry and then you can go ahead and polish away :).

Thanks for the info! Should I mist the pad once, or mist the pad before polishing every panel?

richy
09-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the info! Should I mist the pad once, or mist the pad before polishing every panel?

Just once klum, but clean them with a nail brush every panel or two.

trlblazer3
09-14-2007, 08:50 AM
I agree with budman's advice for CCS pads. Give them a good initial cleaning and you're good to go from there.

As far as priming, I've found that Menzerna acts better to being primed with a spritz or two of water, especially compared to XMT conditioner. For some reason, my pads tend to skip more when I prime with XMT and use Menz polishes.

klumzypinoy
09-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Just once klum, but clean them with a nail brush every panel or two.

COol thanks! I haven't found a nail brush yet so I just used one of my MFs...works too but I wanna get one of those nail brushes.

Old Pirate
09-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Klumzypinoy you can find them at your local Drug stores and also walmart or target.

gary26
09-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Do you use 1 pad for the whole car ?

Pauly6401
09-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Do you use 1 pad for the whole car ?

It depends, but I usually end up using 2-3, depending on the size of the car (orange). 1 White and 1 Gray will take me through the whole car if the orange is doing the heavy lifting. I generally just switch pads when they get dirty or caked instead of cleaning right then and there, and will clean them when I am done.

klumzypinoy
09-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Klumzypinoy you can find them at your local Drug stores and also walmart or target.

I tried wal mart where the nail polishes are and stuff, didn't find any. I will try somewhere else!

TOGWT
09-22-2007, 03:35 AM
I agree with budman's advice for CCS pads. Give them a good initial cleaning and you're good to go from there.

As far as priming, I've found that Menzerna acts better to being primed with a spritz or two of water, especially compared to XMT conditioner. For some reason, my pads tend to skip more when I prime with XMT and use Menz polishes.

Distilled water, in my experience with Menz polishes, works best to 'prime' a pad, they are very intolerant to silicone's and the oils / waxes they use seem to work best with just H2O (another tip with these polishes is to 'clean' the paint surface with Top Inspection or IPA before polishing)

klumzypinoy
09-22-2007, 04:18 AM
Distilled water, in my experience with Menz polishes, works best to 'prime' a pad, they are very intolerant to silicone's and the oils / waxes they use seem to work best with just H2O (another tip with these polishes is to 'clean' the paint surface with Top Inspection or IPA before polishing)

IPA...as in isopropyl alcohol? 1:1 ratio, right? :p