PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hate their Flex 3401?

Pages : [1] 2 3

FinishingTouchA
08-04-2015, 08:01 PM
So I've had my Rupes 21 for 2 years, got the Flex 4 months ago and still reach for the Rupes almost every time. In every single situation the Rupes cuts faster and finishes better. Maybe I'm just so used to the Rupes that I know how to keep it spinning even in concave sections. The only thing I use the Flex for is RVs and even then I'd rather use my rotary.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Thinking about selling the 3401 and getting a Rupes 15...

fly07sti
08-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Interesting. I'm the complete opposite. Almost always reach for my Flex 1st. Let my Rupes rest unless on going to use on a large flat surface.

Daviddear30
08-04-2015, 08:11 PM
I love my flex. Never tried a Rupes

medicscott
08-04-2015, 08:11 PM
Me too 100% opposite. Always reach for the Flex.

custmsprty
08-04-2015, 08:13 PM
So I've had my Rupes 21 for 2 years, got the Flex 4 months ago and still reach for the Rupes almost every time. In every single situation the Rupes cuts faster and finishes better. Maybe I'm just so used to the Rupes that I know how to keep it spinning even in concave sections. The only thing I use the Flex for is RVs and even then I'd rather use my rotary.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Thinking about selling the 3401 and getting a Rupes 15...

Get a G21 or G15. I have the the Rupes LHR 15 and the new G21, I like the new G21 wayyyyyy better.

FinishingTouchA
08-04-2015, 08:14 PM
Get a G21 or G15. I have the the Rupes LHR 15 and the new G21, I like the new G21 wayyyyyy better.

Really? Any reasons in particular?

7.3powerstroke
08-04-2015, 08:16 PM
Im with OP. Keep reaching for my 21. I keep trying to get the hang of the 3401, but can never get it to cut or finish like the 21. How do you get the 3401 to cut? Also appreciate the smoothness of the 21.

7.3powerstroke
08-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Really? Any reasons in particular?
+1

Mizzoutiger
08-04-2015, 08:38 PM
Im with OP. Keep reaching for my 21. I keep trying to get the hang of the 3401, but can never get it to cut or finish like the 21. How do you get the 3401 to cut? Also appreciate the smoothness of the 21.

Answer for how to get the 3401 to cut...SMACK method via Mike@DedicatedPerfection
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/77155-my-technique-concerning-3401-menzerna-products-hybrid-pads.html

Keys to success: Great... 1) tool (Flex 3401), 2) products (Menzerna w/LC Hybrid pads) & 3) technique (SMACK)!

And I LOVE my Flex 3401! "This is my polisher. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." :)

Hokie335i
08-04-2015, 08:48 PM
Never tried a Rupes but I do not like how quickly the Flex gets really hot. I have lubed the felt ring but even with just the weight of the machine, it gets really hot!

Love it though. I also have a GG6 and rarely use it nowadays.

Kamakaz1961
08-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Hey if you don't like your Flex are you going to put it up for sale? I would be more than happy to take it off your hands.

TRDTACO
08-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Im in the market for a new flex , I saw one recently on craigs list says brand new in box. My question is are there any seals or factory tape on the box so I know its 100%new and not used and cleaned up and just put back in the box and there calling it new.Anything I could look for so I know its not a return item etc. When I purchased a meguiars da a while back there was a circle shaped piece of tape on the box basically showing it was sealed from factory. Any help would be appreciated. TY

fly07sti
08-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Hey if you don't like your Flex are you going to put it up for sale? I would be more than happy to take it off your hands.

Same here. Would be nice to have one set up for 5" and one for 6.5"

cardaddy
08-04-2015, 09:31 PM
.... How do you get the 3401 to cut?

Assuming it's plugged into the wall outlet, has a pad on it, and that pad has compound on it.... squeeze the little black trigger and that puppy will cut all day. :laughing:

But seriously...
The Flex doesn't need to run near as fast as any Rupes machine to cut, and the weight of the machine alone means it'll cut.

Now of course the Rupes does have to run at higher speeds, but weighs less, and is less critical to handle correctly, (although you have to constantly make sure it doesn't have TOO much weight on the pad or it'll stop completely). The Flex however you can stand up on it's edge and get into concave panels, or over a convex panel, doesn't matter. Honestly I've never run mine any faster than 4.5 and it'll cut (and finish) like crazy. :dblthumb2:

Heisenberg
08-04-2015, 09:59 PM
Assuming it's plugged into the wall outlet, has a pad on it, and that pad has compound on it.... squeeze the little black trigger and that puppy will cut all day. :laughing:

But seriously...
The Flex doesn't need to run near as fast as any Rupes machine to cut, and the weight of the machine alone means it'll cut.

Now of course the Rupes does have to run at higher speeds, but weighs less, and is less critical to handle correctly, (although you have to constantly make sure it doesn't have TOO much weight on the pad or it'll stop completely). The Flex however you can stand up on it's edge and get into concave panels, or over a convex panel, doesn't matter. Honestly I've never run mine any faster than 4.5 and it'll cut (and finish) like crazy. :dblthumb2:

+1

The Flex is a tank. Couldn't hate it if I tried.