PDA

View Full Version : Dry Me Crazy not drying!

Pages : [1] 2

KMdef9
08-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Today, when doing a RW, I needed to swap my drying MF out for a fresh one (I don't usually need to swap it out, but circumstances were different this time). It's been a while since I've needed to use the 2nd one, and after 1 swipe of the hardly used 2nd DMC, I noticed it was absorbing the water much better than my very used one! (I'm comparing first swipe to first swipe of each towel.)

I ALWAYS use a drying aid, primarily use UQW, but have also used AMMO Hydrate and tried BF midnight sun for the first time today.

Is it clogged with product?

My current MF wash is from CG, which will be replaced with 3D's MF wash once it runs out.

Should I add vinegar to wash? When do people add it, during the rinse cycle?

Or do I need to boil it in vinegar, or whatever, to restore it's absorbing ability? If so, anyone have specific steps for doing this; bring it to a boil, then through it in? How much vinegar to water? How long?

Any input is appreciated!

Dogfather
08-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Do you start with it dry?
I always dry my glass first so it's completely dampened before I dry the paint. When I begin on the glass it's not that absorbent initially.

BMW435
08-04-2015, 01:26 PM
Today, when doing a RW, I needed to swap my drying MF out for a fresh one (I don't usually need to swap it out, but circumstances were different this time). It's been a while since I've needed to use the 2nd one, and after 1 swipe of the hardly used 2nd DMC, I noticed it was absorbing the water much better than my very used one! (I'm comparing first swipe to first swipe of each towel.)

I ALWAYS use a drying aid, primarily use UQW, but have also used AMMO Hydrate and tried BF midnight sun for the first time today.

Is it clogged with product?

My current MF wash is from CG, which will be replaced with 3D's MF wash once it runs out.

Should I add vinegar to wash? When do people add it, during the rinse cycle?

Or do I need to boil it in vinegar, or whatever, to restore it's absorbing ability? If so, anyone have specific steps for doing this; bring it to a boil, then through it in? How much vinegar to water? How long?

Any input is appreciated!

The way I wash my Drive Me Crazy Towel is:

Wash it in warm water, gentle cycle of course
I use to use a dedicated microfiber detergent, but then decided to try ALL Free and Clear and am happy with it
I always do a second rinse to be sure all the soap is out of the towel
Put it in the dryer on low heat for 4 minutes and remove
Let it hang dry afterwards

The towel to me is still fluffy, soft and removes the water fine. I have heard people use vinegar I believe during the rinse cycle. Always meant to try it but never did yet.

aim4squirrels
08-04-2015, 01:33 PM
I'll wager it is the UQW drying aid that has it clogged up.

I actually boiled mine for 10 min to release some of the built up product when I was still using CG V7 with it as a drying aid. A layer of film rose to the top of the water line. I then washed it and used a cup of vinegar in place of what would be fabric softener in a normal cycle.

Now, I only use D114 to help as a drying aid for water spots.

I say try it, you've got nothing to lose at this point if it isn't absorbing well. Might just save the towel.

KMdef9
08-04-2015, 01:33 PM
Do you start with it dry?
I always dry my glass first so it's completely dampened before I dry the paint. When I begin on the glass it's not that absorbent initially.

Yes, it had a mist of spray wax applied to it before drying. It worked like this flawlessly when it was brand new.

Rsurfer
08-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Yes, it had a mist of spray wax applied to it before drying. It worked like this flawlessly when it was brand new.

That's your problem, wax build up on your towel. If you keep using spray wax as a drying aid, you may have to wash the towel after every use or replace the towel often. The spray wax is doing what it's supposed to do, repel water.:props:

conman1395
08-04-2015, 01:54 PM
That's your problem, wax build up on your towel. If you keep using spray wax as a drying aid, you may have to wash the towel after every use or replace the towel often. The spray wax is doing what it's supposed to do, repel water.:props:
Do you not wash your drying towel after every use?

I often only use one quarter (one half of one side) of my DMC towel to dry my car. I'd be willing to use it twice before washing, only using the side that wasn't used whatsoever, but never can find myself to do it.

Thia post makes me wonder about using my DMC towel with DG Rinseless Wash with Aquawax...

Rsurfer
08-04-2015, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=conman1395;1280149]Do you not wash your drying towel after every use?

No, I don't use a drying aid and don't see a need to wash them after every use. I rinse them out and wash after the next drying session.

KMdef9
08-04-2015, 02:37 PM

Will boiling it in vinegar remove the wax?

I wash it every time to prevent cross contamination between washes. I own more than one in the event I wash more than 1 car in a day.

conman1395
08-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Will boiling it in vinegar remove the wax?

I wash it every time to prevent cross contamination between washes. I own more than one in the event I wash more than 1 car in a day.
I wouldn't boil it. They say not to exceed temperatures of 140 F for Microfiber Madness products.

Mask
08-04-2015, 06:41 PM
Soak it in APC mix for a day and proceed wash with vinegar added.
If it doesn't work then congrats...
you've just got a great all purpose towel :D

Rick72
08-04-2015, 07:16 PM
I only use the DMC after I've blown the water off the car to get any drips. I'll never use the towel with a drying aid. Just my 2 cents. I like it too much.

KMdef9
08-04-2015, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't boil it. They say not to exceed temperatures of 140 F for Microfiber Madness products.

Thanks!

Soak it in APC mix for a day and proceed wash with vinegar added.
If it doesn't work then congrats...
you've just got a great all purpose towel :D

Ill set it aside and try this.

When exactly do you add the vinegar?

If it doesn't pan out, my rims need a good one! And do be honest, I'll be disappointed, I didn't get much use out of it for it's price.

I only use the DMC after I've blown the water off the car to get any drips. I'll never use the towel with a drying aid. Just my 2 cents. I like it too much.

It worked perfectly the first 20 or so washes. Now that I'm probably closer to 40, it's starting to not absorb as well. I just need to get the wax out of it.

faulksy
08-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Add vinegar during the rinse cycle. I just add mine to the fabric softener compartment

conman1395
08-04-2015, 08:39 PM
What detergent do you use?