PDA

View Full Version : Corporate Aircraft

Pages : [1] 2

JetA
08-03-2015, 09:18 AM
I am the Line Service Supervisor for a corporate aviation fleet. We recently took delivery of a new aircraft. Having a new aircraft in the hangar really shows the poor condition of the paint on our other aircraft. The older aircraft are around five years old. They have never been polished or waxed. I recently purchased Flex DA polishers. I was wondering what clay, compounds, polishes, waxes would be recommended for use on Gulfstream aircraft.

Ccrew
08-03-2015, 09:31 AM
Considering all the FAA regulations regarding everything from how to paint to corrosion potential, etc I'd check with what the plane manufacturer recommends before a bunch of polishing nerds on the internet. Just saying. I'm thinking on the polishing part the last thing I want to be in is a plane that has abrasives in the panel joints :)

Setec Astronomy
08-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Considering all the FAA regulations regarding everything from how to paint to corrosion potential, etc I'd check with what the plane manufacturer recommends before a bunch of polishing nerds on the internet. Just saying.

We actually have quite a number of pro members who work on aircraft, not sure they should be characterized as "polishing nerds".

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/86239-citation-cj3-jet-detail.html

Ccrew
08-03-2015, 10:22 AM
We actually have quite a number of pro members who work on aircraft, not sure they should be characterized as "polishing nerds".

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/86239-citation-cj3-jet-detail.html

Yes, and of course their opinion would be of more merit than the manufacturer? I think not. I would be remiss to say ANY recommendation off of some internet forum would carry less weight than a manufacturer, especially where Federal regulations may be in play. And who's to say that I couldn't take pictures of a dirty plane and claim it as detailed by me? Because it's on the internet does not make it true.

Fyi, "Polishing Nerd" was not meant in a derogatory sense.

Setec Astronomy
08-03-2015, 10:33 AM
Yes, and of course their opinion would be of more merit than the manufacturer? I think not. I would be remiss to say ANY recommendation off of some internet forum would carry less weight than a manufacturer, especially where Federal regulations may be in play. And who's to say that I couldn't take pictures of a dirty plane and claim it as detailed by me? Because it's on the internet does not make it true.

Wow, I guess the whole premise of this forum must be stupid, all the members should just go to the glove compartment of their vehicle and look at what the mfr. says about car care.

I also think you are overthinking/overstating the FAA's involvement in how operators clean and maintain their aircraft.

As far as that last comment, I don't know what to say, I think you just insulted Anthony (whose thread I linked), as well as detailers like Jose Fernandez ( http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/89646-wow-amazing-mustang-over-1400-horsepower.html ) and Bates Detailing ( http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/84646-aircraft-detailing-video-bates-detailing-nashville-tn.html )

Ccrew
08-03-2015, 10:34 AM
I also think you are overthinking/overstating the FAA's involvement in how operators clean and maintain their aircraft.

I don't.

"In addition, a typical program may also include a more in depth inspection of the exterior of a plane every 12-17 months to detect corrosion and cracks that are not visible to the naked eye using special technology. For this reason, many of the aircraft maintenance products used to repair, clean or polish an aircraft must be FAA-approved or certified for airline use"

Setec Astronomy
08-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Ok, where's the list of approved products?

PS The FAA must be doing a pretty bad job of enforcing or training for this kind of thing if the OP, who is a "Line Service Supervisor for a corporate aviation fleet" is here asking the question instead of going to the aircraft mfr. or simply going to the FAA's approved list of products to "repair, clean, or polish".

We had this little thing that started 35 years ago...it's called "deregulation". But even back in the regulated days there were no "polish police" roaming around hangars or ramps.

Ccrew
08-03-2015, 10:50 AM
Ok, where's the list of approved products?

Don't know and didn't bother to look. Here's a guess. Call the manufacturer of the plane because they know what it's made of and what it's painted with. Which was my recommendation now wasn't it?. But nooooooooo

Setec Astronomy
08-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Don't know and didn't bother to look. Here's a guess. Call the manufacturer of the plane because they know what it's made of and what it's painted with. Which was my recommendation now wasn't it?. But nooooooooo

Why aren't you telling every poster to do the same thing with their automobile? When an aircraft leaves the factory it is rarely maintained by the factory. Just like an automobile, an aircraft departs into a world where it is serviced and maintained by a large aftermarket only loosely supervised by the manufacturer and regulatory agencies.

If you think differently, then you probably also think that taking knitting needles away from old ladies makes air travel safer.

Flash Gordon
08-03-2015, 11:27 AM
I am the Line Service Supervisor for a corporate aviation fleet. We recently took delivery of a new aircraft. Having a new aircraft in the hangar really shows the poor condition of the paint on our other aircraft. The older aircraft are around five years old. They have never been polished or waxed. I recently purchased Flex DA polishers. I was wondering what clay, compounds, polishes, waxes would be recommended for use on Gulfstream aircraft.

I would skip the clay and go with a Speedy Prep towel

Compound: Meguiars M100

Polish: Meguiars M205

Wax: Collinite 845 Insulator Wax

Probably should get a rotary polisher (wool pad) for the really rough ones

Ccrew
08-03-2015, 12:07 PM
Just like an automobile, an aircraft departs into a world where it is serviced and maintained by a large aftermarket only loosely supervised by the manufacturer and regulatory agencies.

Wow. You really have no clue do you? A car mechanically can be worked on by any clueless person, even astronomers.

I suggest you go look at the FAA licenses needed to do an annual on a plane. Heck, even an airframe mechanic can't work on a powerplant. There's not a cottage industry of letting people that have no clue work on planes and it isn't true because you say so. You get caught you don't fly. You hurt someone you'll be lucky to not go to jail. https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/

And notice that link, I can even look up your licenses so there's no "Because I say so"

custmsprty
08-03-2015, 12:24 PM
I was an aircraft crew chief in the USAF for 6 years.

FAA Requirements for Aircraft Exterior Cleaning

Washing, waxing & polishing are preventive maintenance items listed under FAR part 43, appendix A, section C, paragraphs 9 & 10, and also under FAR 1.1 (preventive maintenance).

You'll find the "Aircraft Cleaning" listed as Preventative Maintenance in the A&P handbook which outlines what Preventive Maintenance is: A&P handbook Ch. 6-19 thru 6-25. Both interior cleaning and exterior cleaning are listed!

The FAA requires that all preventive maintenance items for FAR 91, 121 and 135 operators need to be completed and singed off by a certified A&P mechanic for approval to return to service in compliance of FAR part 43.3.
You will also find aircraft exterior cleaning as a maintenance procedure listed in your aircraft manufactures maintenance manuals. Again, any procedures listed in your maintenance manual needs to be accomplished by an A&P mechanic along with a logbook signature.

The only difference when cleaning part 91 vs. 135/121 aircraft is the pilot/owner can perform the work (only on their own a/c) but the FAA does not allow for anyone else to perform the work unless they hold an A&P / AMT certificate.

Don't let the local FAA down your aircraft because you used an auto detailer! Use professional A&P mechanics... It's a federal law!

Setec Astronomy
08-03-2015, 12:30 PM
Wow. You really have no clue do you? A car mechanically can be worked on by any clueless person, even astronomers.[/URL]

Have you ever worked on an aircraft? At an airport? Remotely associated with the industry?

Your clueless auto industry is also heavily regulated, including penalties ( http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Press+Releases/2015/nhtsa-fiat-chrysler-enforcement-action-07262015 (https://) ) . Auto mechanics are usually certified: [URL]https://www.ase.com/Home.aspx

Your faith in the FAA is amusing, however the reality is a little different than you imagine. If not, how do you explain the child working on the aircraft in the first thread I linked? You'd better get his license number so we can get his ticket pulled if he uses the wrong polish...at the very least we can get his father's airplane polishing license revoked...if there was such a thing...

Welcome to the friendly skies...

Setec Astronomy
08-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Don't let the local FAA down your aircraft because you used an auto detailer! Use professional A&P mechanics... It's a federal law!

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, sporty...I don't know if they still require you to silk and dope to get your license, but nobody licensed is polishing airplanes...are you kidding?? "Forget that C check...I'm trying to get these swirls out!"

PS Did you have any civil experience after USAF?

7.3powerstroke
08-03-2015, 12:48 PM
OP, If you indeed take up the job I wish you the best. Be sure to post up some pictures. And HAVE FUN:xyxthumbs: