PDA

View Full Version : D151 or ColorX- How "wet" is wet?

duffthebluff
08-02-2015, 05:50 PM
Hello autogeeks,

Good day! I have been doing some decent number of work with ColorX and I know that as a 1 stepper, this should be applied wet. However I'm baffled to how wet should really this be? From my experience, a normal sized sedan consumes about 1/4 of the 16 oz bottle and I get the result I want, just not a really swirl free 100% finish. Should I be using more?? What's the experience of others?

Ian Duff
Shineville Auto Detailing
Manila, Philippines
www.facebook.com/shinevilleph

dlc95
08-02-2015, 09:57 PM
I haven't used that much per car, but if you like the ColorX (as I do) M66 Quick Detailer (which is the professional version) is available in gallons.

VISITOR
08-02-2015, 10:19 PM
with the DA (used this stuff years ago with the DA and it does a good job of cleaning up the paint) you work it in till there's a thin coat, let it dry, and then remove. if you do multiple cars then m66 or d151 would a better option (as mentioned) as it would be more cost effective. if not, and you would like to stick to otc products, then I would opt for megs white wax instead...

White Wax (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?56633-White-Wax&highlight=white+wax)

Since lighter colors, from light blue to silver, gold, yellow, pale greens, etc really benefit from a deep cleaning to really enhance the brightness of the colors, White Wax is formulated with SMAT abrasives to do just that. So if you're thinking that this is basically a cleaner wax, you're right - but because of the SMAT abrasives in it, it's a very potent cleaner wax, much more so than even ColorX or M66. While this may be marketed to the "average consumer" looking for a good wax for a light colored car, for savvy forum members it's going to be a killer one step when used with a buffer. - mike stoops

Q: It sounds like the consumer version of D151, just pricier.
A: There is a certain similarity in that both are technically cleaner waxes, but the user experience is very different with White Wax and D151 - the White Wax is a much smoother, butter like application, wipes off easier and offers a bit more protection.

Mike Phillips
08-03-2015, 08:45 AM
Hello autogeeks,

Good day! I have been doing some decent number of work with ColorX and I know that as a 1 stepper, this should be applied wet.

However I'm baffled to how wet should really this be?

The terms, wet or heavy, when used to describe how much product to use simply means to use a lot of product. Not ridiculous amounts so that the product is splattering all over the place but you do use plenty of product.

The reason why is because when you're undoing months or years of neglect to an automotive finish you want lots of,

Chemical cleaners
Lubricants
Abrasives

On the surface working for you. This is how a one-step cleaner/wax works.

When working on paint in new or like new condition then you only use a little was as for this type of paint you want to apply a thin coat.

But when working on neglected vehicles you want to use the cleaner wax heavy or wet.

Make sense?

:)

Mike Phillips
08-03-2015, 08:46 AM
See my article here too.... this article is based off a class I teach at Mobil Tech and also at all our 3-Day Detailing Boot Camp Classes (http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-boot-camp.html).

How to choose and use a one-step cleaner/wax by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/81546-how-choose-one-step-cleaner-wax.html)

:dblthumb2:

duffthebluff
08-04-2015, 08:48 PM
I haven't used that much per car, but if you like the ColorX (as I do) M66 Quick Detailer (which is the professional version) is available in gallons.
I see, thanks for the information DLC, I do have with me D151. So if I use almost 1/4 of the bottle of ColorX I guess I'm using too much then?

with the DA (used this stuff years ago with the DA and it does a good job of cleaning up the paint) you work it in till there's a thin coat, let it dry, and then remove. if you do multiple cars then m66 or d151 would a better option (as mentioned) as it would be more cost effective. if not, and you would like to stick to otc products, then I would opt for megs white wax instead...

White Wax (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?56633-White-Wax&highlight=white+wax)

Since lighter colors, from light blue to silver, gold, yellow, pale greens, etc really benefit from a deep cleaning to really enhance the brightness of the colors, White Wax is formulated with SMAT abrasives to do just that. So if you're thinking that this is basically a cleaner wax, you're right - but because of the SMAT abrasives in it, it's a very potent cleaner wax, much more so than even ColorX or M66. While this may be marketed to the "average consumer" looking for a good wax for a light colored car, for savvy forum members it's going to be a killer one step when used with a buffer. - mike stoops

Q: It sounds like the consumer version of D151, just pricier.
A: There is a certain similarity in that both are technically cleaner waxes, but the user experience is very different with White Wax and D151 - the White Wax is a much smoother, butter like application, wipes off easier and offers a bit more protection.

Thanks Visitor, though I do have D151 with me. I'm not just sure how plenty I should use.

See my article here too.... this article is based off a class I teach at Mobil Tech and also at all our 3-Day Detailing Boot Camp Classes (http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-boot-camp.html).

How to choose and use a one-step cleaner/wax by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/81546-how-choose-one-step-cleaner-wax.html)

:dblthumb2:

As always, thank you Mike for the guidance you give here in our forums. I guess I'm guilty that I'm using too much product then lol. It's almost splattering when I do a section in one panel. When I place ColorX in my DA pad, I use the cross pattern for every time I do a section. I really don't conserve the product when I do it "super heavy". I'll minimize the product use so it doesn't splatter.

dlc95
08-05-2015, 12:15 AM
No problem, Duff!

One thing about the "x" pattern on the pad.

It could lead to over saturation for two reasons:

1. On random orbitals like the Porter Cable 7424xp, Meguiar's g110v2, gg6, etc you will tend to see product residue migrate toward the center of the pad.

2. The "x" puts a concentration of product where the two lines intersect, which hastens center saturation.

If it works for you, then by all means, carry on. If you'd like to experiment, maybe try the circle just inside the edge of the pad. I use that technique once in a while with compounds and polishes, but always with my cleaner waxes. Once I do the initial circle, I'll use two to three drops for each subsequent application.

duffthebluff
08-16-2015, 06:39 PM
No problem, Duff!

One thing about the "x" pattern on the pad.

It could lead to over saturation for two reasons:

1. On random orbitals like the Porter Cable 7424xp, Meguiar's g110v2, gg6, etc you will tend to see product residue migrate toward the center of the pad.

2. The "x" puts a concentration of product where the two lines intersect, which hastens center saturation.

If it works for you, then by all means, carry on. If you'd like to experiment, maybe try the circle just inside the edge of the pad. I use that technique once in a while with compounds and polishes, but always with my cleaner waxes. Once I do the initial circle, I'll use two to three drops for each subsequent application.

I tried the circle pattern just this weekend and I'm loving the spread of product! Thanks for your advice champ! Cheers!

dlc95
08-16-2015, 11:15 PM
I tried the circle pattern just this weekend and I'm loving the spread of product! Thanks for your advice champ! Cheers!

That awesome! Rock on, good sir!