PDA

View Full Version : Shade in the summer or warmth in the winter??

jarred767
07-30-2015, 12:17 PM
Hey guys, looking at a couple potential options for my new shop. Curious on your alls opinion.

Place #1: my washing area would be south facing so I'd deal with direct sun in the summer, but extra warmth in the winter.

Place #2: my washing area would be north facing, so shaded all summer, but no sun in the winter and likely fighting a skating rink on cold days.

Both units are in the same building, so all other factors are equal. My climate is quite sunny year round, much of summer is in the 80s and 90s so shade would be really nice. In winter it freezes every night and can stay below freezing all day (especially without sun exposure), so direct sun would be nice.

If it was you, what would you prefer? Thanks!!:xyxthumbs:

gski
07-30-2015, 12:26 PM
Hey guys, looking at a couple potential options for my new shop. Curious on your alls opinion.

Place #1: my washing area would be south facing so I'd deal with direct sun in the summer, but extra warmth in the winter.

Place #2: my washing area would be north facing, so shaded all summer, but no sun in the winter and likely fighting a skating rink on cold days.

Both units are in the same building, so all other factors are equal. My climate is quite sunny year round, much of summer is in the 80s and 90s so shade would be really nice. In winter it freezes every night and can stay below freezing all day (especially without sun exposure), so direct sun would be nice.

If it was you, what would you prefer? Thanks!!:xyxthumbs:

Go with option #1. You can always find creative ways to manufacture some shade in the summer.

hegel
07-30-2015, 12:50 PM
If it were me. I would go with option 1 and do something like a retractable awning so that you can have the shade in the summer but the sun in the winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Su7dCQfv_E

something like that

2black1s
07-30-2015, 08:34 PM
I'm the opposite. I'd take option 2. I hate doing anything detailing related while dealing with the sun. Shade is your friend!

Kengo123
07-30-2015, 09:06 PM
Option #2! No question.

dmayer
07-30-2015, 09:20 PM
Option 2 and get a heater for the winter.

Souldetailer
07-30-2015, 09:44 PM
I'd say North, cause that's where Santa Claus lives. He's nice, maybe he'll bring you a heater if your good. Good luck!

Peace,

Darrin

AZ Mike
07-30-2015, 09:59 PM
I would pick the Southern exposure. You can make shade from the sun. The ice will be a hazard for you and any vehicles that you try to drive in that area. If it is a wash area and you can do your correction work in the shop, I think this will be the best option.

Damonsfcd
07-30-2015, 10:29 PM
I agree with those in favor of the south-facing location. It's easier to create artificial shade than to keep the pad de-iced and heat a building. Would also cost less.

jarred767
07-30-2015, 10:42 PM
So, 4 south and 4 north.... That doesn't help me :)

I actually just heard back from my leading agent who just heard from the builder, and they would prefer me not washing outside and would rather build a drain into the flooring (the space is just under beginning stages of construction) so I can wash indoors. That means no sun and no cold :D

I'm leaning south now to avoid ice/snow build up in winter.

But now how to make indoor washing work as best as possible...

Setec Astronomy
07-31-2015, 06:50 AM
You know, I was going to suggest neither and washing inside, maybe rinseless only, because I figured there was no way you were going to be able to put a drain in the floor--I figured you were looking at a completed building. Just make sure you and the builder are complying with local code and congrats on your first-rate detailing shop with internal wash bay and southern exposure!

jarred767
07-31-2015, 12:33 PM
You know, I was going to suggest neither and washing inside, maybe rinseless only, because I figured there was no way you were going to be able to put a drain in the floor--I figured you were looking at a completed building. Just make sure you and the builder are complying with local code and congrats on your first-rate detailing shop with internal wash bay and southern exposure!
Thanks, it is pretty exciting. Lots of stuff to do before anything's final, but things look like they're progressing, so we'll see :dblthumb2:

Paul A.
07-31-2015, 12:34 PM
If it were me (and if the indoor setup doesn't work out for some reason) i would have to mentally inventory what aspects of both seasons bother me the most or are simply more difficult to deal with. Does bright, hot sun give you more headaches or add time than say battling the "skating rink"? Sounds like you've already done that but i would look at it as a balance between comfort and cost. Does one side or the other cost less and result in maybe a little more comfort in the wash process?

Hopefully your question is rendered moot if they provide an inside floor drain.

And you understand...we WILL REQUIRE pictures of your setup! Sounds sweet.

jarred767
07-31-2015, 02:37 PM
And you understand...we WILL REQUIRE pictures of your setup! Sounds sweet.

Oh yeah, I'll make sure to post something up once the paperwork is signed. Since its brand new construction, I should get to have some say in how the space comes together, so I may be asking for some suggestions along the way.