PDA

View Full Version : 14 Camaro Engine Detail Help

TuxedoTaurus
07-30-2015, 08:11 AM
A guy in my apartment complex stopped me while dressing my tires, and asked me to detail his 14 Camaro. It has 2500 miles on it and in great shape, just very minor swirls.

Anyway, he wants the engine compartment detailed. Is there anything out of the norm to cover up, besides the alternator and battery?

Thanks

parttimer
07-30-2015, 08:37 AM
It's probably completely covered in plastic like most engines today.

TuxedoTaurus
07-30-2015, 11:59 AM
It's probably completely covered in plastic like most engines today.

I wish it was, but there is quite a few electrical components exposed and a surprisingly roomy engine compartment.

dcjredline
07-30-2015, 12:17 PM
This is what I do but you are in a complex so maybe cant or dont have a PW.

I spray the entire engine down with a degreaser such as Meguiars Super Degreaser or 3D Yellow Degreaser or LA's Totally awesome all usually diluted to 10:1. Then spray it off with a power washer. I dont specifically stay completely away from the Alt/Electrical components but I do spray them MUCH less than other things.

I usually keep the PW about 12-15 inches away from the surface Im spraying as to not force too much water into places it should be.

I have had MUCH GOOD luck doing this for years and years. If you have a hose and nozzle then use the finest mist you have available = less water per minute.

TuxedoTaurus
07-30-2015, 02:32 PM
This is what I do but you are in a complex so maybe cant or dont have a PW.

I spray the entire engine down with a degreaser such as Meguiars Super Degreaser or 3D Yellow Degreaser or LA's Totally awesome all usually diluted to 10:1. Then spray it off with a power washer. I dont specifically stay completely away from the Alt/Electrical components but I do spray them MUCH less than other things.

I usually keep the PW about 12-15 inches away from the surface Im spraying as to not force too much water into places it should be.

I have had MUCH GOOD luck doing this for years and years. If you have a hose and nozzle then use the finest mist you have available = less water per minute.

Thanks, I do have a Dewalt PW but only use on exterior I will use a regular hose. I do this mobile or at my in-laws place. This will be done in the owners garage(just moved back in his house).

The engine is not really grimmey, just dusty.

LRC3
07-30-2015, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't PW an engine, I'm just saying. I know water will get into the engine compartment, I mean you DO drive in the rain. But a PW, I wound to go there!!!

Spray it down with APC, agitate, hose it off, then blow it out... It's a new car with 2500 miles, hell just a hose off my cut it!

GOOD LUCK!!

parttimer
07-30-2015, 03:39 PM
Well, since you are actually going to have to clean it, I have a setting on my hose nozzle that is "mist" so I would mist the engine, spray apc, use a soft brush to loosen up the dirt, then "mist" again.

dad07
07-30-2015, 03:42 PM
With a car that new.....and that few of miles 0NR is your friend!

TuxedoTaurus
07-30-2015, 04:44 PM
I'm gonna try ONR first, then go traditional if it doesn't cut it.

I just want to make sure that I don't get any surprises by missing something I need to cover.