PDA

View Full Version : Questions about my detail process

Burningcoals
07-30-2015, 03:04 AM
I am pretty good at cutting and polishing, using 105 and 205. I seem to always come back to meguiars products.

Even though I am trying out all sorts of new products. Really just seems like I am waisting my money.

Is it my process?

I detail a lot of bikes, lately a lot of Harleys. I own 2 black bikes myself that are new. I own a new Tundra that is also black.

Usual process.
DA Polisher
Clay
Cut 105, orange or yellow CG foam pad
Polish, 205, black pad.
Seal Opti-Seal
Wax Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax.

Regular process on slightly swirled finishes.
DA, 205, Black foam pad. 98% of the time this removes 100% of swirls under a special light.

Problem is, what to do after you have a pristine paint(no swirls). I tried Mezerna 4500, its not terrible, but I seem to add small swirls, tried Mezerna Top Finish, this ruined my pristine finish.

Lately, the only thing I am happy with is:
Pristine paint finish, Opti-seal or Meguiars Ultimate Wax. Just seems everything else will micro swirl the finish.

I also use a foam gun for washing, and a 200MPH air blower to blow water off the bike, works very well. I will follow with a spray detailer, like Meguiars ultimate detailer, or some from chemical guys. My other option is to just throw some Ultimate wax on, since it hides swirls and is super easy to remove and apply.

So tonight I polished a black fender with 205, and a black pad, 2 light passes and it was perfect, washed the fender with soap and micr-fiber, checked the surface, it was still pristine. Decided I would try Black Light from CG, been wanting to try that. Used a DA on the lowest setting on a super fine red-pad, no pressure and just applied it evenly, waited 15 mins, and wiped off with a ultra MF cloth, and was super upset, massive swirls on the surface, had to strip and re-polish, then I just applied Meguairs ultimate wax, and was super happy, no swirls. Just wish it was deeper shine.

So, my process is always checking the surface with a light at every step to make sure I am not going backwards. I am only happy with the tiniest amount of swirls, just seems its 205, opti-seal or 205 Ultimate wax, and for maintenance, its Ultimate Wax every 2 weeks. This is the only way I can keep my surface pristine?

What am I missing? Black Light, Mezerna 4500 seem to have good reviews. Should I just go to a carnuba for max shine after 205? Or stick with Ultimate Wax, which seems to fill swirls, and makes my job easy.

I know wall of text! Any ideas are welcome. Ultimately I am trying to find a deep deep black shine, I like ultimate wax, but its not as deep as I want. I do like using opti-seal, its pretty good shine and super easy to use.

Bunky
07-30-2015, 05:52 PM
It would help if you posted pictures.

It is interesting you can get it perfect with M205 but Blacklight leaves swirls. If you have problems with Menzerna you are not likely breaking it down all the way. Meg's M105/M205 are smat so it just cuts so you can stop anytime.

If you want black blacks, you could try Pinnacle XMT Spray Wax. It darkens for paint for me so blacks look darker.