PDA

View Full Version : question about clear coat

Tragu
09-13-2007, 06:15 AM
A friend has a 1976 BMW 2002 in fair to good cond but the paint is in ruff shape is this a clear or single stage? One layer is peeling up a very fine layer could this be a layer of paint and if so is the very ruff looking next layer fixable. He sanded the top layer off a little on the roof cause it looked better. It looks like a clear peeling but it does look like it has color that is why I think it is salvageable and one stage. I cant get pictures easily. At the time that he sanded it down you could peel it. Also if it is a clear wich I dont think it is can I blend in the good and bad parts and shine it up more? Thanx for any info

HighEndDetail
09-13-2007, 07:23 AM
A 1976 BMW 2002 is a single stage paint. And if paint is original it is over 20 years old. There won't be alot of paint thickness left. Look close you might see some thin spots near or around some of the edges.

bambo2888
09-13-2007, 07:31 AM
be very careful as it is in fact, a one stage paint. being that old, you really need to pay close attention to what you are doing. dont get freaked out though, it can still be done.

Tragu
09-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanx guys that is what I thought. It is 31 year old paint.I am up for the challange.

TOGWT
09-14-2007, 05:45 AM
I would seriously consider the use of a paint thickness gauge, you could breakthrough to base metal, requiring a re-paint

Wolf-Strong
09-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Get some Paint Cleaner and a white cloth. Work it on the top, and if there is clear, the cloth will not transfer the color. If it is still single stage, it will transfer the color onto the cloth. If it is single stage, you can easily restore it to its original luster, whereas if it is a clear coat and is anything worse than oxidation, you need a repaint.

I actually just recently did a job on a friends car that was all single stage except for the back which was cleared.