PDA

View Full Version : Applying CQuartz UK at 103 Degrees?!?

FinishingTouchA
07-29-2015, 06:42 PM
So we scheduled this Cquartz application 2 weeks ago for tomorrow, just so happens that it's going to be the hottest day of the week and we wont get done polishing until 2 or 3. I don't have any OG Cquartz on hand so UK is what we'll be using.

Any tips so I don't screw it up? (Yes, I've installed UK 3 times before in 60-80 degree weather) With it being 103 outside, the paint will likely be 110+ in my shop.
It's a black Porsche e-Panamera. Yes, I'll try to document it for Show'n'Shine :buffing:

CarolinasFinestDetailing
07-29-2015, 06:55 PM
Take a few deep breaths, it can be done as I have done it many times.

Do you have a dehumidifier or portable ac unit to run? That would help a bit.

1. ensure ample light.
2. Work in very small sections.
3. Apply then level right away.
4. Go over panel with final buff.
5. Apply second coat in same manner.

Basically, youll just take longer due to temp.

fly07sti
07-29-2015, 07:15 PM
Take a few deep breaths, it can be done as I have done it many times.

Do you have a dehumidifier or portable ac unit to run? That would help a bit.

1. ensure ample light.
2. Work in very small sections.
3. Apply then level right away.
4. Go over panel with final buff.
5. Apply second coat in same manner.

Basically, youll just take longer due to temp.

+1 If possible, have someone help when you're applying it. For example, you apply and have someone behind you to immediately wipe it off. I would also suggest applying it a little thick so it's doesn't flash as fast. But when it's triple digits, anything can happen. Good luck.

Ebg18t
07-29-2015, 07:27 PM
Small section at a time and be patient. I just did a Honda and the temps were high 90's and 90% humidity.

ScubaCougr
07-30-2015, 10:46 AM
Last weekend with temps in the high 80s, I was having to wipe off in 90 seconds and still had some streaks.

If the first small panel doesn't go well, can you reschedule?

Matt@Revive
07-30-2015, 11:12 AM
i had bad luck at 103. i applied too large of a section at once, and got large build up between sections. move quick, level quick.

aim4squirrels
07-30-2015, 11:29 AM
Just throwing this out there, but would refrigeration of the product itself help any?

Might be a good question for Corey or Avi.

HUMP DIESEL
07-30-2015, 11:40 AM
Because UK was meant for colder temps, it is better to use Classic in the hotter months. That being said, you can use UK, it will just be a wipe on wipe off scenario. As others have stated, work a small section to get the idea of how its going to work. I usually start with a mirror.

HUMP

Avi@CarPro
07-31-2015, 03:46 AM
+1 If possible, have someone help when you're applying it. For example, you apply and have someone behind you to immediately wipe it off. I would also suggest applying it a little thick so it's doesn't flash as fast. But when it's triple digits, anything can happen. Good luck.
As said above and I would add , try to work at morning time , when less hot

Just throwing this out there, but would refrigeration of the product itself help any?

Might be a good question for Corey or Avi.No, wont help , this liquid doesnt like humidity as the inside the fridge.

FinishingTouchA
07-31-2015, 09:50 AM
The job went horribly! The paint on this car was the worst to correct I've ever done. The customer paid 350 for the coating and I told her that included a single step polish to remove minor swirls. Tried the flex and the rupes. Flex was useless, any pad/polish combo agressive enough to remove swirls left horrid micro marring. Rupes Yellow pad and Yellow polish did the job but took 8 hours for just the correction, and even in that amount of time I still was not happy with the results. 4:30 comes around, it's 105 degrees in the shop, and we get started coating the car because the customer insisted they would not leave it overnight. :nomore: Had 2 people working on the application, one applying and one buffing off right after. Once we were done I got the car in sunlight and it was covered in high/low spots and streaks everywhere. The customer took the car but I couldn't even bring myself to take after pictures because I was beyond pissed and about to pass out from the heat. Tried drinking some water and couldn't even down it. The customer plans on bringing the car in once a week for a wash and I told her we would take care of the streaks once it cured.
What do I do when it comes back in? Polish the coating off and re-apply?
What do you guys down south do in this kind of heat? My tools get so hot that I can barely hold them, my body hurts, and my products flash so quick it turns every job into a sh*t show.
I am so close to going straight to production detailing and giving up on high end quality work. There is just no demand in my area for details over $400. Even the people with money and expensive cars are looking for "the deal."

fly07sti
07-31-2015, 10:11 AM
Sorry to hear this man. Hard to believe you only charged $350. As far as the streaking from the high spots go, the only remedy I know of is to polish off. Give Corey a call and see what he recommends.

DetailDrivenEugene
07-31-2015, 11:22 AM
Sorry to hear it didn't go well. At least the customer was understanding. I hear you about the heat. If I wanted to live in this kind of weather, I would move to Nevada.

Ebg18t
07-31-2015, 06:04 PM
Ryan - the buffing off/leveling off step has to be done perfectly especially in the heat. Proper lighting is key. I am in FL and use UK, but I have to do small areas.

My first run of it worked fine for the first coat, but on my 2nd coat I was getting tired and not so perfect on the leveling/buffing off step. I ended up with a few high spots, I was pissed. But every time since I am very diligent in the leveling step with super good light and no more issues. A door to me is 3-4 sections, it takes a longer but the results always look awesome.

DaveT435
07-31-2015, 08:11 PM
I'm in Texas. I usually use EXO/C1, but have had some issues in 95-100 temps. I have been using 22ple VX pro. It normally has a 3-5 minute cure time. At 95 about 2 1/2 minutes works great. I've got a few coatings coming up I'm going to try the pro2 version. It has 8-10 minute cure time so I know I'll have plenty of time even at 100 plus. Even knowing I'll have time I plan on doing the coating at 5 am. Should finish just in time to check it in early morning sun. I know in this case the woman wouldn't leave the vehicle. I would tell them it's mandatory because you can't put the coating on in the heT if the day.
No matter what you do for a living your going to have bad days and question your career choice. Relax, have a couple cold ones and get some rest. Tomorrow is another day.