PDA

View Full Version : Beware using nevr-dull on rims!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Mike Honcho
07-29-2015, 05:17 AM
Okay...I've been trying all sorts of stuff to get the stains off my 2011 Lexus factory painted rims. Here's a pic...

...tried mineral spirits. APC, and polishing compound among others. Nothing would remove it. I remembered I had some NEVR-DULL on hand. I'll try that. BAD IDEA!!! A few swipes of the cotton wadding not only removed the stain, it REMOVED THE PAINT!!! ARRRRGGGHHH!!!

Mike Honcho
07-29-2015, 05:24 AM
It looks worse in person. The rims are a silver/grey color and it looks like the NEVR-DULL went into the white undercoating/primer underneath. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

sproketser
07-29-2015, 05:40 AM
Tought Nvr-Dull was for chromed polished wheels . Might have gone through clear here .

tpr1634
07-29-2015, 05:57 AM
Don't believe it's intended for paint/clear, if I was not able to get it with polish I would of stopped there. That does sux.

Setec Astronomy
07-29-2015, 07:02 AM
Ouch...as has been noted, that product is for bare metal, but I'm kind of surprised it went through the clear so easily. Are you sure that one of your previous steps wasn't responsible?

Mike Honcho
07-29-2015, 07:36 AM
No. The previous steps were done over a course of 2-3 weeks. Basically, when I washed the car and dressed the tires I tried something different since it was staring me in the face.

Audios S6
07-29-2015, 07:44 AM
Ouch! If the stain bothered you that much, I would expect you had already committed to a refinish if nothing else worked, so there's no real loss here, but a good lesson learned.

Now I don't have to spend the money on media blasting one of my wheels this fall, $5 worth of nevr dull and I'll be set.

Setec Astronomy
07-29-2015, 07:59 AM
No. The previous steps were done over a course of 2-3 weeks. Basically, when I washed the car and dressed the tires I tried something different since it was staring me in the face.

Had the Nevr-Dull been used before? I'm wondering if it had a bunch of metal residue in it from a previous polishing session that may have been highly abrasive to the paint.

TFTADetail
07-29-2015, 08:03 AM
Too many other superior products to use this stuff ........

sorry FYL.

Mike Honcho
07-29-2015, 08:06 AM
Had the Nevr-Dull been used before? I'm wondering if it had a bunch of metal residue in it from a previous polishing session that may have been highly abrasive to the paint.

Brand new clean piece of wad outta the can.

.brian.
07-29-2015, 08:10 AM
Sorry to see that. Next time, when using a new product/or using an existing product a certain way for the first time, do a small test spot in an inconspicuous area.

At least this gives you an excuse to give your wheels a nice powdercoat.

Setec Astronomy
07-29-2015, 08:14 AM
Brand new clean piece of wad outta the can.

The MSDS seems to indicate only mineral spirits, so it's hard to figure why it would do this...but I'm not going to try it! Thanks for posting.

Mike Honcho
07-29-2015, 08:21 AM
Yeah. That's what got me stumped, too. Being it is only mineral spirits.

FUNX650
07-29-2015, 08:42 AM
...a good lesson learned.

When I choose products for Clear-Coated wheels,
I always try to abide by this "formula":

'If I wouldn’t use a product on vehicles' CC-paint...
I won't use it on CC'ed-wheels'.

Bob

swanicyouth
07-29-2015, 08:43 AM
^ Nevr a Dull moment around here.

I believe there is something in Nevr-Dull that is abrasive. It's almost like there are abrasives suspended in the goop on the wadding.