PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Buffer

Pages : [1] 2 3

HoldenFlinner48
07-28-2015, 06:32 PM
Hey guys I have a quick question. I am starting to get into some serious car detailing and car polishing that I'm starting to buy a lot of things. Right now I have the Griots Garage 6 in DA with a 5 inch backplate and 5.5 inch pads. Now my question is, should I buy a rotary or should I just upgrade to a Rupes, GG boss 21 or a flex. I use a rotary at work since its that we have so I know what they are capable of doing and I have a good understanding of them. So should I buy a rotary or just upgrade to a different DA? THANKS!

DetailDrivenEugene
07-28-2015, 06:59 PM
I just got my new flex from autogeek today(haven't even tried it out yet). But I will always have a rotary in the arsenal. Been using them for 15 years, and have no plans to ever not have one.
If you know how to use a rotary, they are a valuable tool.

RTexasF
07-28-2015, 07:31 PM
Since you are familiar with a rotary and what it can do I would consider it a must if you are planning to go PRO.

RFrommann
07-28-2015, 08:21 PM
IMO the more tools and knowledge to use different tools, the more efficient you'll be.

with that said, i'd get a rotary.

i use a rotary at work, and have a rotary of my own. i just purchased a GG 6" along with a 3" backing plate.

HoldenFlinner48
07-28-2015, 11:50 PM
Alright thanks for the input guys. I do know that a rotary is more effective on certain things such as headlights compared to a DA so i will definitely be buying a rotary.

TFTADetail
07-29-2015, 08:16 AM
I'd go with the DeWalt rotary.

I have a Rupes BF21, but the rotary can do everything IT can.

The DeWalt rotary polisher (DWTDWP849X) is my go-to. The Rupes is a Cadillac for the DA world, but the rotary offeres everything and then some.

I was able to find the DeWalt for 179.** w/ bale and straight handle and hook/loop backing pad. Free shipping.

Can't go wrong for the price.

HoldenFlinner48
07-29-2015, 10:09 AM
I'd go with the DeWalt rotary.

I have a Rupes BF21, but the rotary can do everything IT can.

The DeWalt rotary polisher (DWTDWP849X) is my go-to. The Rupes is a Cadillac for the DA world, but the rotary offeres everything and then some.

I was able to find the DeWalt for 179.** w/ bale and straight handle and hook/loop backing pad. Free shipping.

Can't go wrong for the price.

This was actually my plan! I use the older 849 at work and Amazon has the 849x for 199 with everything included with two free day shipping through prime.

TFTADetail
07-29-2015, 10:27 AM
This was actually my plan! I use the older 849 at work and Amazon has the 849x for 199 with everything included with two free day shipping through prime.

Save yourself another $20 and go through Tooltopia. $179, free shipping.

Mike Phillips
07-29-2015, 11:52 AM
I'd recommend spending the extra money to get the Flex PE14.

Read this...

The Flex PE14 Rotary Polisher - The rotary I grab first... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/75923-flex-pe14-rotary-polisher-rotary-i-grab-first.html)

:)

TFTADetail
07-29-2015, 11:55 AM

Read this...

The Flex PE14 Rotary Polisher - The rotary I grab first... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/75923-flex-pe14-rotary-polisher-rotary-i-grab-first.html)

I guess it'll be whatever you're most comfortable with and how many opinions you'll have to sift through.
I personally never cared for the Flex.

Mike Phillips
07-29-2015, 12:10 PM
I guess it'll be whatever you're most comfortable with and how many opinions you'll have to sift through.

Seat for every person.

What I shared in the link to the article I wrote was that every time I hold any type of class is my observation is that the people working on the project with me always grab the Flex PE14 rotary polishers first.

It's only after they've all been plugged in and are being used do people grab the DeWALT or Makita rotary buffers.

They're all available to choose from.... but the Flex PE14's go first.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=97384

Me? I always grab the Flex PE14 first. It's lightweight, compact in size and most of all.... it's quiet compared to the rest.

:xyxthumbs:

HoldenFlinner48
07-29-2015, 02:05 PM

Read this...

I've also considered the Flex. I might consider getting it if I can find a good deal on it. Thanks for the info as well, I love reading your articles! I may just have to spend the money on the Flex.

HoldenFlinner48
07-29-2015, 02:09 PM
Seat for every person.

What I shared in the link to the article I wrote was that every time I hold any type of class is my observation is that the people working on the project with me always grab the Flex PE14 rotary polishers first.

It's only after they've all been plugged in and are being used do people grab the DeWALT or Makita rotary buffers.

They're all available to choose from.... but the Flex PE14's go first.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=97384

Me? I always grab the Flex PE14 first. It's lightweight, compact in size and most of all.... it's quiet compared to the rest.

:xyxthumbs:

Also since there is three flex rotaries, I now the PE8 is for small pads, but are there really any differences between the 3403 and the PE14 besides RPM settings?

Rsurfer
07-29-2015, 02:21 PM

Have you tried the new PE14? Smoothest, lightest, quietest rotary on the planet.

Rsurfer
07-29-2015, 02:28 PM
Also since there is three flex rotaries, I now the PE8 is for small pads, but are there really any differences between the 3403 and the PE14 besides RPM settings?

Yes, if you use larger pads, it will get hot and it has this annoying high pitch noise.