PDA

View Full Version : What wax for new paint?

mikejm46
07-27-2015, 06:28 PM
Just got my 05 SSR back from being painted. What products are needed to keep it looking new? I'm a little confused by the multitude of products available.
Thanks.

Kamakaz1961
07-27-2015, 06:44 PM
Just got my 05 SSR back from being painted. What products are needed to keep it looking new? I'm a little confused by the multitude of products available.
Thanks.

1st off I would wait for at least 30 days to let the paint "cure" and then have at it with any of the waxes. You can't go wrong with Souveran Paste wax or the liquid wax.

Collinites are good too.

sproketser
07-27-2015, 06:47 PM
Depends also on what paint was used . some can get up to 90 days before it cures , ask the painter who done the job .

Mike@ShineStruck
07-27-2015, 07:01 PM
Was the car paint baked? If not wait 90 days

Kamakaz1961
07-27-2015, 07:24 PM
Seeing all the new posts I would find out and ask the painter how long...90 days would be safer than what I suggested at 30...the longer the better.

The Guz
07-27-2015, 07:38 PM
You can also use this until it's ready for a full sealant or wax or coating.

Meguiars M305 Ultra Finishing Durable Glaze 16 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/megiuars-m305-16.html)

2black1s
07-27-2015, 07:56 PM
Was the car paint baked? If not wait 90 days

"Baked" is a very misleading term when it comes to refinishing.

Baked from the factory is done at much higher temperatures than is possible in the aftermarket world and the factory paint is pretty much cured during the baking process.

In the aftermarket world "baked" really means force-dried. Force drying is simply accelerating the initial dry process at relatively modest elevated temperatures (usually around a max of 140F) and has little overall effect on the length of time needed for full cure.

Mantilgh
07-27-2015, 09:44 PM
Like the Guz said, there are products you can use to help protect it.

The guy that painted my car finished up with a similar product made by Wizards.

I'm sure other companies that are popular with body shops have similar products too that are made for protecting fresh paint.

As others have said, talk to the body shop. They may have used one of these types of products already.

Or you can go to a local auto paint supply shop and ask them what they have and recommend.

Klasse Act
07-28-2015, 04:07 PM
Well I'm surprised a 10 year car that was certainly not a DD needed a repaint, did you buy it new or used? Is it from FLA or a constant sunshine state?

Now I'm sure the paint job was NOT cheap, so ask the painter how long to wait and I'm surprised they aren't doing the first buff on it, seems to be normal business practice when stepping up to an entire paint job like that.

If not, the 90 day rule may be the way to go for sure and regular car washes are going to be about all you can do. After that a light polish is the best way to start and you have MANY options here, can't go wrong here. The rule of thumb "least aggressive" first is the way to go. Once you've got it to where you want it I'd go with something from DURAGLOSS OR COLLINITE for the LSP.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

FUNX650
07-28-2015, 06:48 PM
You can also use this until it's ready for a full sealant or wax or coating.

Meguiars M305 Ultra Finishing Durable Glaze 16 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/megiuars-m305-16.html)
^^^ :iagree:^^^

It's a one-of-kind!

Bob

swanicyouth
07-28-2015, 07:14 PM
I would only use New Paint Wax.

But if you want to live dangerously, get a tub of BF MS or Collinite 915.