PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of oxidation smell

d3t41l
07-26-2015, 03:41 PM
Okay, this is a tricky one, but I am not ready to give up yet.

I have a car that has had a slight chemical odor (almost sour but hard to describe) ever since it was put through a very aggressive ozone treatment. I can't tell if the smell had always been there and is just more obvious since the ozone took care of other smells or if the smell is a direct result of the ozone. However, I suspect that the ozone was just too much and attacked some rubber or plastic components and the smell comes from oxidation.

Here is the frustrating part: I am totally unable to pin down where the smell comes from. Whatever I sniff, doesn't seem to have it, but after a night with windows and doors closed, it's quite noticeable.

Short of tearing out the entire interior (which I won't), is there anything else I can try to get rid of the smell? Has anyone ever had a similar issue?

custmsprty
07-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Dakota Odor Bomb - Car odor bombs for smoke odor removal, pet odor removal and more for a clean, refreshing scent! (http://www.autogeek.net/odor-bomb-ocean-water.html)

d3t41l
07-26-2015, 06:25 PM
Hm, that would be another ozone treatment, wouldn't it? Ozone tends to be better at removing organic smells, so I am not sure if this could work.

Satcho
07-29-2015, 12:27 PM
d3t41l:

Here is an approach that I have used with success. Vanilla Extract. Place enough vanilla extract to cover the bottom of a lid or small plate in your vehicle's interior. Wait a day or two...hopefully the smell is gone.

On a hot summer day I had a partial gallon of milk spill in my trunk. Smell has horrendous. Vanilla extract removed the odor completely. Your issue may involve different compounds that require a different approach but this is an expensive potential solution.