PDA

View Full Version : First UDM Project

Tractorboy
09-12-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm a nuube here and my detailing expertise until this point has been limited to claying (Griots), limited polishing using a old cheap 8" B&D vibratron and waxing with Megs 26. My new UDM should be arriving any day and I'm stoked to use it.

My question is about product. My first project, don't laugh, will be my wife's 96 dark blue Impreza, woo woo! The paint is in pretty decent shape but I want to try my hand at removing the minor scatches and swirls that have accumlated over 11 years.

What's in my garage:
Megs Clear Coat Body Scrub paint cleaner
Megs Deep Crystal System Polish
Megs 26
Claymagic (it's in the mail but haven't tried it yet)

Should I waste my time with this stuff or step up to a higher end product. I don't mind spending a little more dough but I hate wasting my time on mediocre results.

My next project is my white 02 540i.

Thanks

Truls
09-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Hi and welcome to AGol

Doesnt look like you got any swirl removal polishes (MG 83, XMT series, Menzerna) those you got there, is more paint cleaners (scrub/polish)

Get some XMT 1 and 3 and your sett to remove some swirls, MG83 is also a good option (some dusting) XMT 1/3 or MG83 + Megs DC polish + Megs 26 = it should be looking good. (not sure you need the DC polish after the XMT series, you may just jump to MG 26 after the XMT)

Good luck on detailing the cars...remember pics

Tractorboy
10-29-2007, 04:25 PM
The first project turned out really well and I was able to eliminate all the hazing and swirls from 11 years and 110,000 miles. Here's a list of products used and a before & after shot of the door.

Meguiars Gold Class shampoo
Claymagic blue
Menzerna Intensive polish
Menzerna Final Polish II
Klasse AIO
Meguiars #26

Dark_Tempest
10-30-2007, 09:35 AM
Nice, seems to have worked well. Makes me long to detail my car. Nice job, how'd u like ur UDM?

Tractorboy
10-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Nice, seems to have worked well. Makes me long to detail my car. Nice job, how'd u like ur UDM?

It worked well except the on/off switch is awkwardly placed and not guarded. I accidently turned it on more than once spinning polishing product across the shop. Grrrrr!!

klumzypinoy
10-30-2007, 11:46 PM
It worked well except the on/off switch is awkwardly placed and not guarded. I accidently turned it on more than once spinning polishing product across the shop. Grrrrr!!

PM Meghan for a new switch :)

By the way, the project is looking good!

wytstang
10-30-2007, 11:58 PM
Talk to AG about a switch replacement, they have an updated switch that helps eliminate the accidental on position slinging crap every where.

tommy
10-31-2007, 06:47 AM

I'm not sure a switch on my UDM is already replaced a new switch or not. I've a pic attached anyone can tell? or post a pic of new switch

klumzypinoy
11-01-2007, 02:06 AM
I'm not sure a switch on my UDM is already replaced a new switch or not. I've a pic attached anyone can tell? or post a pic of new switch

That's the old switch. The new one is smaller and hides in the guard rails so you can't bump it accidentally!

tommy
11-01-2007, 12:19 PM
That's the old switch. The new one is smaller and hides in the guard rails so you can't bump it accidentally!

thanks klumzypinoy. i'm pm meghan to request for replace a new switch already, she going to manage for me...:D

klumzypinoy
11-02-2007, 01:07 AM
thanks klumzypinoy. i'm pm meghan to request for replace a new switch already, she going to manage for me...:D

:D