PDA

View Full Version : First Paint Coating

fejcharson
07-25-2015, 09:48 AM
Hey everyone this is my first post how is everyone,
So I want to try out a paint coating on a buddies truck. Thats what he wants. I have always done the Meguiars wash soap with wax, then the Meguiars clay bar, next I do the M105 and M205 using the GG6. I typically apply the M21 sealant, but am interested in a coating. What coating should I go with it. I have looked at the CQUK, OG-C, DP, and the Blackfire coatings. It will be going on a 2014 Chevy Silverado.

Thanks for the help,
Jeff

Ebg18t
07-25-2015, 11:13 AM
If it is your first time using a coating I would do some more research on the BlackFire coating. It appears to be the most forgiving and the folks using it seem quite happy. CQUK is awesome, but a trickier application.

fejcharson
07-25-2015, 12:24 PM
Is it tricky for the fact of having to flip the applicator so often?

Audios S6
07-25-2015, 01:41 PM
Is it tricky for the fact of having to flip the applicator so often?

That is one reason. There are a lot of little things that need to be done right for the application to go smoothly.

1. Use several applicator towels, at least 3, but probably 5 or 6.

2. Keep an eye on the size of your work area, not too big or too small, 2x2 max works well for me.

3. Keep an eye on flash time. In high heat and humidity you can wipe it off almost right after finishing a section or two. Lower temp and humidity you can do a few sections.

4. Most people level or buff with a larger suede towel, then do a final buff with a quality microfiber towel. Just be sure to level things well. Rotate the suede towel often.

5. Be mindful of edges, trim and other 'stuff', any time you change direction with the applicator you have a greater potential for a high spot, make sure to level these areas very well.

6. Check your work from multiple angles and with different light sources.

If you're a seasoned Detailer you should have no problem recognizing these things and making an adjustment on the fly. Thinking that the average joe who slathers on wax twice a year can jump into the deep end of coatings is often a recipe for disappointment.

fejcharson
07-25-2015, 07:15 PM
That is one reason. There are a lot of little things that need to be done right for the application to go smoothly.

1. Use several applicator towels, at least 3, but probably 5 or 6.

2. Keep an eye on the size of your work area, not too big or too small, 2x2 max works well for me.

3. Keep an eye on flash time. In high heat and humidity you can wipe it off almost right after finishing a section or two. Lower temp and humidity you can do a few sections.

4. Most people level or buff with a larger suede towel, then do a final buff with a quality microfiber towel. Just be sure to level things well. Rotate the suede towel often.

5. Be mindful of edges, trim and other 'stuff', any time you change direction with the applicator you have a greater potential for a high spot, make sure to level these areas very well.

6. Check your work from multiple angles and with different light sources.

If you're a seasoned Detailer you should have no problem recognizing these things and making an adjustment on the fly. Thinking that the average joe who slathers on wax twice a year can jump into the deep end of coatings is often a recipe for disappointment.

Thank you both for the replies. I pay close attention to detail and really enjoy doing so would somebody that has never done CQUK be able to learn quickly? I was just going to buy the pack of ten cloths to buff it if I go with CQUK.

Audios S6
07-25-2015, 08:20 PM
Thank you both for the replies. I pay close attention to detail and really enjoy doing so would somebody that has never done CQUK be able to learn quickly? I was just going to buy the pack of ten cloths to buff it if I go with CQUK.

I think the learning curve varies a lot from person to person. I've taught/shown several people how to apply a coating, CQUK and others. Some took to it quickly and they could do their second car on their own. For some, it jut never clicked.

fejcharson
07-25-2015, 08:44 PM
Another question would I need more applicators than the 5 it comes with and the 1 cloth to wipe it off?

Ebg18t
07-25-2015, 09:32 PM
Another question would I need more applicators than the 5 it comes with and the 1 cloth to wipe it off?

The 5-6 applicators should be ok if you have a small-mid size car. I usually use 6-8 full size suedes & a handful of microfibers.

fejcharson
07-25-2015, 11:01 PM
Im doing a 2500 silverado so I should probably order extra applicators and larger ones? Any other tips I should know?