PDA

View Full Version : Mystery splatter

kdubski
07-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Yesterday I had a customer bring in her bmw x5 in a metallic black. Beautiful car, and was going to be a quick 2 step with lsp job. Upon closer inspection, noticed what you see in the picture below ALL over the left side of the car. No big deal, whipped out degreaser, clay, and Tar X, none of which caused the stuff to budge.

I wasn't able to get it off the plastic, but on paint I used WD40 and an old credit card which caused over 3 hours worth of work to correct out the damage I induced. There was no way I could let a car leave with that all over the paint, cant say the same for the trim.

Have any of you ever seen something like this before? If so, what is it?

http://i60.tinypic.com/2e2frt1.jpg

SKorch630
07-24-2015, 03:17 PM
Almost looks like tree sap.

kdubski
07-24-2015, 06:20 PM
Was not sap, also this is a city car that is garaged year round. Like I said Tar X didn't even make a dent into this stuff.

Anyone else?

Ebg18t
07-24-2015, 06:23 PM
Could it have black paint? Like the stuff they use to cover lines in the road when re-routing traffic.

RFrommann
07-24-2015, 07:35 PM
some things i have had to do in similar situation:
lauquer thinner
heat gun
spot remover
plastic razor blades (many of them)

kdubski
07-25-2015, 07:33 AM
some things i have had to do in similar situation:
lauquer thinner
heat gun
spot remover
plastic razor blades (many of them)

Would lacquer thinner stain the plastic? That was my only worry.

RFrommann
07-26-2015, 03:26 PM
Would lacquer thinner stain the plastic? That was my only worry.

It may. Spray on towel and try a hidden spot first

irvsmith
07-26-2015, 09:59 PM
My first guess was some form of acid or road prep 'stuff'. From the picture it almost seems like the paint was damaged or removed. Is this just an effect of the picture or is the paint truly dissolved?